rMBP 13 inch 16GB Ram upgrade -> 3-4 weeks delivery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by albertdros, Nov 15, 2013.

1. albertdros macrumors member

Whats Apple's problem regarding RAM in the 13 inch model? When you select the 16 GB ram upgrade it jumps from 24hr shipping to 3-4 weeks.

WTF?

2. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

3. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Thinking that myself. I would have ordered a week after launch if I'd been able to, but unfortunately still having to wait to be able to order. Now I feel like I have to wait twice.

Apple has had a 'shortage' of so many things lately that I think they're doing it deliberately for the hype. I'm starting to wonder if the next OS is going to be RAM hungry in an effort to force those who choose 8GB RAM over the wait to upgrade.

4. NightWingz macrumors member

The 15" model is not suffering from the long lead time for the upgrade.

Therefore, I suspect the demand for 13" is overwhelming, and with most people going for the 16GB upgrade, it's less a shortage of component and more of a long back log of orders to clear for them.

5. iPhilPHX macrumors regular

iPhilPHX

I ordered mine the day after launch and it still took over a week to arrive.

6. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

Most people? What for then?

7. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

I ordered mine on 11/4, it shipped on 11/7 and arrived on 11/11. People who ordered on 11/6 have a 3-4 week wait before it ships. That screams component shortage to me, not a backlog of orders. Unless you really think so many orders arrived at once around 11/5 that it will take 3-4 weeks to fulfill them all.

If it was a backlog of orders to fulfill, you'd also think that it would affect ALL BTO orders, not just those for 13" machines with 16 GB of RAM.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well since you can't upgrade the RAM later, it's smarter to go with 16. Most people are probably realizing this.

The delay is killing me, but I guess I have no choice but to wait.

9. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

It is a tough choice, but even for the long run isn't 8GB enough (specially with compressed memory)?

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Enough is never enough.

11. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

Could you please ellaborate?

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

If you're not doing intensive, then it should be. I imagine it will be, but some of us don't want to take that chance.

13. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

I guess I take my chances. Don't see myself using too intense stuff,
    Definitely worth 8GB though; 4GB is insanely low.

14. michelg1970 macrumors regular

michelg1970

Doubted to get the 16 GB but bought the 8 GB instead. Very happy with it.

But then again - my needs are not so high. VM (Win 8.1 Pro), Safari, Mail, torrents.

15. Jeanloup macrumors regular

I understand you can have a shortage of something but what I don't like is that when I placed the order it said about one week before shipping and then i got a mail two days later saying "We are sorry ..." And that I would not get my mac before the eleven fu*** december. Pretty pissed of right now.

16. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Call the online Apple store and ask to speak to a supervisor, and ask for compensation!

17. NightWingz macrumors member

I would think if it was a component shortage, it would affect the fifteen inch models as well. But since only the thirteen inch models have the exceptionally long waiting time upon the ram upgrade, it probably is due to the backlog of orders.

Unless they used different ram on both models which I doubt.

18. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Ah See..

This simply means they like your money more than you have the patience to get what you want from them. That is simply their bottom line and they don't mind to make you wait as long as they got the money out of you.

Ah the day in the life of a consumer.

19. Jeanloup macrumors regular

Funniest part is they already shipped me the Apple Care I took with the computer. Now it's great I have the Appĺe Care and not the computer that goes with it ...

20. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

RAM isn't a separate part on the rMBPs. So yes, it's "different" RAM in a sense.

The RAM is soldered on the logic board during the logic board construction process, it's not separate and plugged in. It's the whole 13" logic board with 16 GB of RAM that is out of stock.

If it were a backlog, it would affect all BTO orders the same, not just BTO orders for a 13" with 16 GB of RAM.

21. jjfcpa macrumors member

I guess I should have held on to mine and resold them. I accidentally ordered 5 13" rMBP's and they shipped in 3 days. Returned them no questions asked and re-ordered 5 15" rMBP's. All of them had 16gig of RAM.

This was about 3 weeks ago.

22. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, it sucks. I can place my order now, but the money will be gone and I will be waiting for weeks. I have a feeling that there wouldn't be any difference between ordering now and ordering 2 weeks from now when shipping estimates are back to normal. You would still receive it in the same timeframe.

23. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Yep.

You know what is really funny? When I pay for expedited shipping on my build-to-order, it actually doesn't show up any quicker - sometimes a day later than if I just do the free-regular shipping! It all depends on your country's customs depot as well, if they delay the process because they are having a longer smoke break, then you are left dangling and upset. Then you call up the big red shiny fruity company - all they do is make you seem like a fool and talk down at you on the phone something like this: "Oh well, our policy here, is like, um, just so you KNOW, it is 3 days late when we will do anything about it so…."

24. NightWingz macrumors member

Ah I see your reasoning.

I was thinking along the lines of Apple only doing the RAM soldering after an order is placed for customized models.

Therefore, the backlog was exclusive to 13" 16GB models.

25. colophonius macrumors newbie

I sent back my 16GB 13" after a week because I couldn't find the time to test whether it was (for me) actually worth the price I had paid.

Now I feel stupid for not keeping it since I could have sold it at a considerable gain instead :p