rMBP 15, Iris Pro, Nvidia or Wait?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smeaton1724, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Looking at getting a 15 inch retina macbook, I've heard there's issues in general with graphics switching which is putting me off the Nvidia equipped one.

I was thinking of specc'ing up the base model for the 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD but doing that I might aswell go the top model as I'll get a 2.3 Ghz vs the 2.0 - which does provide a decent spec bump.

Any advice from owners or other people also in the market?

2. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Depends on your use if u really Want the DGPU go for it or else get the base model maxed out to your needs...There is no alternative to what a DGPU can do but for most other work a IGPU also works just great !

3. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I debated this very question and decided to pay extra to get the dGPU. I also wanted a 512GB hard drive, and I felt that if I was going to upgrade the base model from 256 to 512, I may as well have just spent extra for the 16gb RAM.

Basically, base model + hard drive upgrade + RAM upgrade is about the same as the 512gb ssd/16gb ram/750m model.

I do most of my gaming on consoles and my other PC, but for kicks, I installed some games on Mac through Steam. Games like CS:GO and any Source engine game play amazingly well. I haven't tried a game like BF4 or Assassin's Creed 4, but from what I have seen through various youtube videos, this laptop will play any modern game. It may not play everything at ultra or high settings, but definitely medium.

It depends on your setup though.. if you bootcamp to install W7/W8 then install nvidia drivers, you may get better game performance. It really depends what kind of gaming you do.

4. leman macrumors 604

It depends on applications you use. Personally, I never had any issues with GPU switching. You might encounter problems with lazily coded applications which trigger the GPU switch without any real reason. Still, skipping the dGPU might be a good idea if you are not playing games - as you will save battery.

If you are looking at 16GB RAM/512GB SSD, then the upgrade to the Nvidia GPU is essentially free.

5. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Do you know which processor is actually used in each of these rather than just the clock speed?
    For example an Intel Core i5 520 @ 2.40GHz will be less powerful than an Intel Core i7 920XM @ 2.00GHz

Barney

6. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

2.0 = 4750HQ
    2.3 = 4850HQ
    2.6 = 4960HQ

You can find performance of each on sites like CPUboss. The upgrade to 2.3 is worth it for the performance boost. The upgrade to 2.6 is small and expensive, which for me isn't worth it.

7. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

So what are you suggesting to the OP here, go with IGPU or DGPU ? You sound as if you are saying going with IGPU will also suffice his needs?

8. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I should have been more clear (blaming the muscle relaxers and my aching back!)

If the OP wants the ability to play games, but it's not a necessity, then go with IGPU. However, most games (especially anything new the last couple years) will have to be on low.

If the OP wants to play modern games and wants the extra RAM/HDD space, then go with DGPU.

If the OP is spec'ing the base model + RAM/HDD upgrade, then it's about the same price as the DGPU model. You're basically getting DGPU for "free" in that case. ;)

9. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I had dGPUs fail in many (too many!) macs. Latest were a 2010 15" (nvidia chipset problem) as well as a 2011 15" (atigraphicsgate).
    So my girlfriend (whom the 2011 one belonged) got a 2.6/16/512 NO dGPU rMBP. I know it sounds crazy to not take the free dGPU, but because we had problems with them in the past and because she doesn't really need the extra GAMINGperformance, she went for the iGPU one - she couldn't be happier.

I have worked with it too and as long as you don't play games it works really well. I found some tests online, where it was on par or even faster with the 2012 GT 650M in Aperture and FCPX

10. augustya, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014

augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I have had a lot of poeple say this to me that the IRIS PRO IGPU model is a lot at Par with the NVIDIA 650M and also even the current 750M Model.

11. shansoft macrumors 6502

The only mac that had issues with dGPU was around nVidia 9400 era.
    Those are nVidia problem, and its long time back. I have got every single macbook with dGPU, none of them gave me issues and I have not heard any issues from other people either.

eh what?

12. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

NOT?
    They extended warranty on the Mid/Late 2007 and Early 2008 link
    as you said there were issues with the nvidia 9400m
    They extended warranty on the Mid 2010 model link
    and there are lots of problems with the AMDs in the 2011 model (just take a look around this forum or here

no mentions of problems with the 2012 (GT650m) and 2013 (GT750m) models, but if you had nearly every macbook you owned (or friends of you owned) die due to a graphic or chipset problem, you don't want those suc**ers near your notebook ;)

13. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

The 750m offers more performance than Iris Pro in many cases. I have a rMBP with the Iris Pro + 750m, so I was able to compare the performance difference with the same hardware.

14. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you match the CPU, RAM and SSD on both Iris-only and Iris+750M models, they're both priced identically.

I got a 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD + GT750M option because:

1. Iris performs better in OpenCL apps like Photoshop CC.
    2. Some of the apps I use are CUDA-assisted, so the GT750M would boost performance in those apps.
    3. I play games, so the GT750M would be handy for playing NFS Rivals.

If you're not going to play games or use CUDA-assisted apps, go for the Iris only model.

My 2011 15" MBP has yet to show the effects of Radeongate though, so touch wood. I hope it doesn't fail because it's served me for so long and so well.

16. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

This video should solve all your problems. The 750M is obviously the better choice. But if you do a lot of CL work then Iris pro is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4rgL9dW7mw

The casual gamer won't mind Iris Pro graphics, however if you play games as a hobby, or past-time, you'll probably enjoy the 750M more.

I play games like League of legends, Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty - and so when I buy my rMBP I'm going to go for the dGPU.

17. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

i had a question on the Top End rMBP 15" with the Dedicated GPU in that the switching from a Integrated to Dedicated GPU that happens is that something that the user can decide ? Control or the switching automatically by the Machine ? if I don't want to switch to a DGPU for a Particular Task can I as a user do that ? control that ?

18. RMXO macrumors 6502a

U can use an app called gfxcardstatus to see when the card switches or when u want to switch on your own.

19. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Watching when it switches is fine, but if I wanna control when to switch and when not to ! That can be also controlled by the user right ?

20. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

yes and no
    it can be controlled. You can force the dGPU without a problem, but if the dGPU is running and you want to switch to the iGPU, you need to close all programs that use the dGPU.

21. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

So that again is an automatic feature that cannot be called as a Manually controlled featured because in the first place if I don't want a particular task to be run by the DGPU that cannot be controlled right ?

22. yjchua95 macrumors 604

How about this:

1. Take note of the apps that use the dGPU with gfxcardstatus.
    2. If the app you want to use needs the dGPU, quit the app, force gfxcardstatus into Integrated-only, and reopen the app. Then the app will run on the iGPU.
    3. If you want to change from iGPU to dGPU when a dGPU-optimized app is active, you can do so. However, if you want to change from dGPU to iGPU when a dGPU-optimized app is active, that's not possible until you quit the app.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You might as well go for the top end at this point given what you wrote and the dGPU does offer a nice increase in performance if you use apps that require such power.

If you're bumping up the specs of the base, then you might as well bite the bullet.
    Given that intel is purportedly releasing Broadwell in the fourth quarter, it may be a long wait for a refreshed rMBP so take the plunge now :D

24. Smeaton1724, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014

Smeaton1724 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

What a response, thank you all!

I've always had the 13 for the light work and used iMacs and custom built windows rigs for rendering.

I would be doing zero gaming, firmly a console gamer.

It's a combination of rendering, 2d and 3d Autodesk (revit, robot, autocad) and tekla work, plus spreadsheets. My most recent MacBook was the launch retina 13, I've since sold it as simple renders we're taking 1 hour 10 minutes, comparing to last years early 2015 quad (borrowed a friends - who has incidentally had graphics issues), they took 27 minutes on his. So massive increase in productivity but he's had graphics issues.

Hence the dilemma on discrete.

I'm into iBooks publishing, podcasts and some simple app creation. Aperture, fcp, iPhoto etc, any 15 should be ok for the 'hobby' side of life.

As for the quote on processor I kept it simple in my original post, whether I go for the base or top model I will be going 2.3 quad, the cost of the upgrade for the spec bump is worth it. Then when it comes to RAM 8GB is ok, 16GB will prevent any bottleneck.

I'm actually talking myself into the top spec model!

25. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

So what are you thinking to go for the top end 15" rMBP with the DGPU or without ?