rMBP after 14 months use is dead

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eduardot, May 2, 2014.

1. Eduardot macrumors member

got it on the 22 february 2013, so it is out of warranty.
    Suddenly after playing a youtube video, the computer after 14 months of very well care and only one user, froze on the reboot 3 beeps and nothing done to it will make it come back. Apple service support is a problem related to memory unseated? but in this model it is soldered to the motherboard.
    What am i to do, i am hoping the apple service center will be able to get it back to life without any significant monetary cost.

In the last two years i have had 2 iphone 4s had to exchange one out of warranty, one imac got it changed out of warranty and one rMBP also exchanged out of warranty. These 3 items only 2 an iphone and the imac had hardware problems.
    Apart i have bought three ipads and two more iphones 5s.
    So out of 8 apple items 3 have failed. Almost 50% failure.

Wow..........

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Sad... I'll buy Apple Care soon because I use my rMBP for intensive computing tasks, so I don't expect I'll have it free from any logic board problem within 3 years.

3. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I'm not saying you are lying or trolling but all I can say is from my experience Apple products have been close to infallible in my house hold.

iPod Mini
    iPod Video
    iPod Nano
    2 x iPhone 3GS
    4 x iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5C
    iPhone 5S
    Retina Macbook Pro
    iPad 2
    iPad Mini

I had an iPhone 3GS fail after two years of use due to supposed water damage which I admit I wasn't best pleased about as I never recalled sending it swimming.
    iPod Nano broke but was replaced without issue.

Everything else has worked perfectly, that's a 2/14 failure rate. Compared to say my sister and her Blackberries which honestly broke every 4 months or a couple of Dell laptops which were pretty unreliable I would say Apple has an amazing reliability record both personal experience and overall. I don't know how well you treat your gadgets but everything will break after enough abuse. I treat mine well and they've been great, I'll continue buying Apple until proven otherwise. I have an extended Apple warranty (for free because I'm a student) so I feel pretty happy about using my laptop as intended and so far I haven't had to use the warranty.

I seriously doubt Android devices and any other consumer laptops have a better reliability record. Personally having such an expensive device necessitates having a warranty but thats just me.

4. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

tempted to get applecare on my rMBP after reading that

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Exactly my thoughts. I'm thinking I'll get it soon! :apple:

6. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Bummer. Take it to a certified repair technician to at least diagnose the problem. Having it repaired may not cost too much (relative to a new machine).

I still have 7 mo. to decide to add Applecare on my rMBP. I currently have accident protection at $170/year. My plan to throw my laptop in the bathtub if it stops working seems somehow unethical.:rolleyes:

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

AppleCare is cheapest from B&H. I would not order an rMBP without it.

8. Ann P macrumors 68020

We have two 2010 MBP's at home. Both still going strong! (Knock on wood)

I'm debating between a MBA or rMBP, but from what I see, the retina models seem to have a lot of issues. :confused:

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It's always a good idea for mission-critical laptops that see heavy use, regardless of brand. I went through Lenovo's equivalent on two machines before getting my first MBP (and now I'm on my third). So that's five machines with extended warranties that paid for themselves with replacement keyboards, display backlights, batteries and power supplies that gave up their ghost after too many frequent flyer miles.

Well worth the money.

Having said that, Apple has very good prices for repairing/refurbishing out-of-warranty machines. So, I'm hoping OP's experience is not too bad.

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I think it is a good investment. My logic board failed in a 2011 15" MBP and when they fixed it they messed up the ports, hinge, and unibody. They fixed it again.

All in all they put $1500 of labor/parts into it (my AppleCare had 90 days left:eek:). I'd say that $350 was a good investment. The LB alone was $500

11. princealyy macrumors regular

Well they messed something up ... Otherwise they did the logic board.

But I will probably be getting the AppleCare.

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am glad to have one for my rMBP.... because I am unemployed and can't afford for repair/replacement cost. :apple:

13. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

That seems to be what I've been getting out of threads like these. :(

I recently upgraded from a late '08 MacBook to a 2010 15" MBP. Great machine. I maxed out the RAM and put an SSD in it along with a large HDD in place of the SuperDrive (all from my old MB). One thing I can't have in an rMBP or MBA is 1.5-2TB of local storage, along with the speed benefits of an SSD.

Though I'd love to have USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, Retina display, and a better GPU than the 330m. But for the cost, speed, and incredible reliability. I think I'll hold on to it for a while. Still got a 2008 Black MacBook in daily use. Near zero GPU power, but everything else is a breeze, still on Snow Leopard too, three months of uptime :cool:

14. CosmoFox macrumors regular

15. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I've never had an apple product outright die on me, but I've had plenty with quality issues and/or parts that broke during their life. Plenty of those. I wouldn't be that surprised if he's had a few duds.

I highly suggest going to an apple store and being kind but pushy about getting it fixed. Good luck man!

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Same here. My 09 MBP has had SATA cable and hard drive issues, but my rMBP, iPhone 5, and iPod Classic have been fine.

For those looking at this as shopping advice, OP has a Feb. 2013 model which was better than the 2012 models, but not as improved as the October 2013 or what we can hope for in 2014.

17. infernohellion macrumors 6502

Hope Apple would go out of their way to assist. That could happen in certain case where the problem couldn't be diagnosed or determined.

All my Apple laptops are still going strong so far since the move to Intel chips. However, iPods and iPhones die after 1.5 years of use.

18. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Why Wow? Apple's user base is so large that this will happen. Somewhere there is someone with a worse history than you, but for every million users there are 1-in-a-million cases such as this. Don't make the mistake of thinking your experience can be extrapolated to the average Apple customer, it isn't and if it was Apple would go out of business in short order.

Fortunately the overwhelming experience is zero problems.....

19. Eduardot thread starter macrumors member

Apple Care

I know my experience is not the median situation for all apple users. If it was they be out of business.
    It does points to the necessity and importance of apple care. unfortunately i could not have apple care for this machine.
    Because of a long labor day weekend here, i will be taking the rMBP to the local dealear and see if it can be fixed.
    Thanks for the input and the advice.

Be well guys.

20. Daniele Mnn macrumors newbie

I'm sorry for your laptop, I hope apple will be good to you in this occasione.
    Luckily in europe we have 2 years of warranty by law.

21. Eduardot thread starter macrumors member

Update

After a visit to the apple reseller, the final tech diagnosis was a failed logic board.
    Only after 14 months of usage, only by me.

I still owe one year credit on the laptop because i took it out on credit.

I am writing at this moment to Tim Cook to see if Apple has any solution or alternatives.

So definitely DEAD after only 14 months of use.............:apple::eek::mad:

22. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Was the logic board failure due to water damage?

23. Eduardot thread starter macrumors member

No water damage

The laptop was kept in pristine condition never ill treated. It just stopped working the apple store guys told me it was a logic board failure that the repairs were $2000 and that they did not recommend any repairs!

No water no dropings no accidents, it just died!

24. twingo macrumors regular

Apple should help him out, because he sold a lot of apple care protection plans with this thread.

25. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

Are you in the US? Because if you're in Europe, you could easily claim a fault like this on the mandatory consumer warranty.

For most of Europe it's 2 years. In England, it's 6 years and in Scotland, it's 5 years.