rMBP: An Open Letter to Tim Cook and Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MLMcMillion, Oct 8, 2012.

1. MLMcMillion macrumors member

MLMcMillion

As some of you are probably aware, there has been a ton of issues relating to the displays used in the new Retina MacBook Pros. While some buyers are having luck, many of us are getting the cold shoulder.

This morning I published an open letter to Tim Cook and Apple in hopes to raise awareness, as well as get a resolution for myself and those still having issues.

I urge anyone experiencing the same issues to read the letter. If you agree and have time, please help spread the word on Hacker News and Reddit. Feel free to post the main link to this open letter wherever you.

Here's hoping for the best.

2. sno1man macrumors regular

regardless if your argument is sound or not...

Your letter is way too long, has tons of extraneous information that is not relevant and is unclear as to what you are trying to achieve.

Simply put, you need to state the problem as you see it, provide some supporting evidence and provide one or two proposed solutions.

You should be able to do that in about 1/3 of the length you posted

3. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Nice read - hope you get it sorted.

I'd forward that onto Apples Customer Relation team or the Tim Cooks private email address - they are pretty good in responding.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Well what to say, in principle you certainly have a point, however halfway through i just "tuned out" too much drama, and comes off a very much like old "wine" such letters need to to be concise, punchy and specific especially if you want to gain traction in the public domain, equally i wish you well in your quest.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I would drop the - Steve would - comment - personally

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Agreed it`s in poor taste.

7. marddin macrumors 6502

Extraordinarily poor taste...

really dude? Why would you think that's a good idea.

Failed letter.

8. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Writing Letters Is Good!

Good on you! Write those letters, get all those words and feelings on the page and send it always. Who cares what others think, they are your words and your feelings. You have my support!

9. MLMcMillion thread starter macrumors member

MLMcMillion

I think it's interesting that some people have said that the "Steve would." comment was in poor taste. I'm not sure how stating that he would've taken of the problem is in poor taste, but as always, people are free to have differing opinions and tastes.

I agree that the letter is long, but it's very personal, and most importantly sincere. I felt that the typical "I'm mad and I want satisfaction" style letter was too abrupt and off-putting. I'm not angry. If anything, I'm excited at the possibility that this might get things fixed, and I can go about working and enjoying my MacBook.

If anything, I'm just glad some people are reading it and giving feedback, both positive and negative.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

This is why I'm always hesitant to buy Apple products. Their Apple care is either all or nothing. Either you receive the best support in the business, or you get the worst experience and there's nothing you can do about it.

At least with Dell, I know I'm getting a mediocre experience, and with enough time you can get anything righted again. With Apple... forget it.

I'm sorry you dropped 20k into the Apple ecosystem before you realized it.

11. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

I also read the full letter and it seems too long, you lose a lot of time reading unnecessary details.
    Considers that Tim Cook has many occupations, so if you want to read your letter, make it as concise as possible.

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

13. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Obviously its debatable whether steve would have your rMBP replaced. It is more probable that nothing would be different.

14. IGregory, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

I wish there was a way to find out of the Macbook Pros with retina that were returned because of faulty displays, how many really were found to be faulty. It seems to me Apple's quality control should have discovered the defects prior to approval for shipping. Then again, the rMBPs are made in China. :cool:

15. theineffablebob macrumors regular

I feel like Apple put too much into making the Retina display look good instead of making it durable and long-lasting and even consistent. Lots of reports of people getting dead pixels a few months into usage and the screen scratches and chips easily because of no protective layer (allows the screen to be thinner and have less glare). This is just another example of how, at Apple, industrial design takes precedence over engineering.

16. MLMcMillion thread starter macrumors member

MLMcMillion

The LG screens aren't technically "defective". The image retention issues they exhibit are commonplace for IPS panels, which is what the LG-manufactured displays are.

The problem is that the Samsung-manufactured screens use a different display technology which does not have image retention issues, and therefore is much more desirable. The problem is the huge disparity in apparent quality between the two manufacturers, and the resulting "lottery" that buyers face when purchasing the device.

Am I going to pay the same amount as everyone else and get an inferior screen, and of I do, is Apple even going to do anything about it? That's the primary concern here.

17. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

No.

IPS retention happens after 8 hours, not 5 minutes.

iMacs don't burn in. Ever.

18. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

just return it and get something else? what is the point of all this

rMpb is not ready yet as it is the first in its industry

wait till Rev B

19. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

20. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Retina is ready. Apple just has to clean up the display problem with one display provider. I and many others have not had a problem with our retinas. The technology behind the retina is fine.

21. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree. Mine has no issues.

22. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Set up an online petition along with the letter :)

Petitions go a long way, I'll sign :D I have let them know how dismayed I am that they put all that engineering marvel and design into such a waste of time and space, as the 15" rmacbook is proving to be, rather than unleashing an incredibly new and slimmer, more powerful 17" MacBook Pro. Infinity shame on hispsters pleasing :apple:

I bet more rmacbooks have been returned than 17" MacBook Pros were. Our household returned 2 maxed out rmacbooks.

23. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

6 paragraphs in before there's any mention of an issue.

Maybe you could try using OSX's built-in "summarize" command?

24. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Good for you, I've had no issues and more customers haven't than have.

25. pat park macrumors 6502a

I agree with this. Letter is way too long. Start over, list your main points, support some evidence and suggest a resolution. You're going to lose him in the first half.