rMBP Mountain Lion Graphics UI Performance Worse

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattkidd, Jul 26, 2012.

1. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Hey!

Just upgraded to Mountain Lion, Is anyone else finding the graphics especially the UI to be worse than in Lion?

I had problems at first with my first rMBP running lion it was terrible at running the UI. I soon had this one replaced and have found my further two replacements to run without a problem.

Upgraded to Mountain lion in the last couple of hours... so far have found it to feel as though Lion actually ran smoother in regards to UI. Little disappointed if I'm honest.

Any reasons for why this could be?

2. mdapple macrumors regular

yup =/ mountain lion lags like a $#@!% when switching spaces

3. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

Not had any graphical issues here on a 2.6. Although I don't use spaces everything else graphics wise is silky smooth and working perfectly. Much better than lion.

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

i havent found it to be worse but i dont see any actual improvement in UI performance at all. still lags here and there.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I'm still waiting on my rMBP...but my MBA is running a LOT faster on ML.

6. flipnap macrumors 6502

every identical rmbp machine screen perfomrs completely different and nobody knows why. ive seen videos of two identical configurations. one stutters like crazy and the other looks like a classic. mystery. id like to see in a few months someone get to the bottom of it..

7. Tibits macrumors regular

nope (2.6, 16GB)

8. flipnap macrumors 6502

case in point..

9. specik macrumors 6502

specik

I've been running Mountain Lion on my Retina MacBook Pro (2.6/16/512) since the Golden Master and have not seen any problems whatsoever. When I originally received this machine, it had Lion on it and I noticed slight lag with things like scrolling on a Safari on graphically intensive sites.

After ML, I have not noticed a single stutter and lag at all. It's perfect. Performance definitely better than Lion here. Wish I could offer more insight into what would be causing your particular problem, but I have no idea. I doubt a few points in processor speed would really make a difference for something as trivial as basic graphics.

Do you have any external displays attached when experiencing this lag? I noticed you have a Thunderbolt display listed in your signature.

10. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I've got a maxed out rMBP and upgraded to ML yesterday. Safari runs very smoothly even on the HD4000. Switching spaces and going to full screen when watching an HD Movie with quicktime does lag a lot sometimes.

Scrolling in Safari is definitely better on ML.

I've just upgraded from Lion to ML, so maybe a fresh install would to the trick. Does someone experience the lags who did a fresh install of ML?

11. sireShonBohn macrumors regular

If you're having trouble try turning off "Automatic Graphics Switching".

ML is WAYYYYY better than Lion was as far as UI animations go, not perfect, but usable now.

12. PCWebbJR macrumors member

what's most disconcerting is apple hasn't publicly addressed this issue at all. I'd rather not wait around with my (soon-to-be) new rMBP praying there's an answer down the line.
    maybe they expected ML would solve the, maybe they're unaware how widespread the problem is... but whatever it is, it seems to me they have no proposed solutions as of yet.

13. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

anyone with the base rMBP using ML? I'm beginning to wonder if the base model is the problem...

14. bitfidelity macrumors member

I am. Ever since I installed ML, something seems to feel off. For example, I am pretty certain the animation for folder stacks on the dock was smoother on Lion. There also seems to be some kind of caching issue; now there's dotted lines that show around a file before it actually shows up.

I'm going to do a clean install and see if there's any difference.

15. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Report back afterward. I'm curious if a fresh install helps.

16. katmeef macrumors 6502

Agreed, my 16gb/2.6/512 bto is buttery smooth where my old 8gb/2.6/512 version was super choppy changing spaces (both machines had lots of free ram while checking so can't see why that would matter).

----------

I don't think you should hold your breath for any official word from Apple...

17. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Everything is completely lag free for me. Buttery smooth.

18. kakwvu macrumors newbie

19. PCWebbJR macrumors member

What model are you using?

20. quantumE macrumors newbie

Same....
    I've a macbook pro retina 2.7 16GB, i.e. the fastest you can buy.

On the other hand safari is way better on ML...but seriously the UI lag on ML IS in some cases worse than L....

the only thing that comfort me is that the lag is evidently a software optimization issue since now safari is way faster and it uses only the integrated intel chip....

It seems that I've to wait more and more to have my >3000$ pc working as expected.....veeeeeeery disappointed!!

21. Tibits macrumors regular

Return it then

22. Vctr macrumors regular

I have a base rMBP with a clean install of Mountain Lion and I have noticed that space switching in particular is a little laggier than on Lion.

However, everything else in the UI is much smoother (scrolling in Safari, scrolling elsewhere). It's just weird that the space switching animation is worse now.

23. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Like someone else said, try turning off automatic graphics switching and running on the dedicated card.

24. quantumE macrumors newbie

it doesn't change anything...

----------

I can't...I bought it using the student discount.....I discovered after purchase that this means that you cannot return the product if you don't like it....

25. Pared3s macrumors regular

That's not true. I've returned things before with the student discount. You still have to do it within 14 days though.