rMBP Mouse?

Cammington13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Flint, MI
I am curious as to what everyone is using for a mouse on their new rMBP's. The trackpad is great, don't get me wrong, but for games and work, its nice to have a mouse. Are most people using the magic mouse, or is there a better alternative out there?

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
IMHO, Magic Mouse must be the worse place of equipment ever produced by Apple, it has horrible ergonomy. For work, nothing beats the trackpad. For games, I use Razer Naga.

CUsurfer

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
I use a (wired) Logitech G500 with Steermouse. I prefer wired mice because I hate batteries and the lag with wireless mice. For me, the G500 felt great ergonomically, offered numerous extra buttons and features (including the logitech smooth/click togglable mouse wheel scrolling feature -- awesome). I tried the Performance MX, but it tracks in an incredibly bizarre manner and it's kinda massive.

Steermouse is really an incredible application. Best $20 I have ever spent (you can try it free for 30 days). Steermouse enables context aware application mapping. This means I can have my mouse buttons (the G500 nets me an additional 5 buttons + the typical ones) mapped depending on what application I'm using. It's an extremely powerful and useful capability.

The magic mouse is a steaming pile of crap for serious use. Probably the worst product Apple has ever put forth. Do yourself a favor and get a real mouse. It's unfortunately that driver support for Mac is so bad, but third party programs like USB Overdrive and Steermouse remedy this issue.

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I'm using the Logitech M555b (bluetooth) mouse. I've used the Magic Mouse in the past, but for some applications (i.e., gaming) that mouse really falls flat on the usability front.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The Logitech Performance MX has terrific ergonomics and capability for home use. For portable use, I have their Anywhere MX.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
The Logitech Performance MX has terrific ergonomics and capability for home use. For portable use, I have their Anywhere MX.
Exactly the same. When I'm at home performance MX is wonderful. Not too fond of the scroll wheel though. And the Anywhere MX is for school.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
IMHO, Magic Mouse must be the worse place of equipment ever produced by Apple, it has horrible ergonomy. For work, nothing beats the trackpad. For games, I use Razer Naga.
Agree, Magic Mouse is a pos, horrible ergonomics and use. I just could never get used to it. Love my Logitec for my desktops and laptops if I want to use it with them, but I generally just use the trackpad on the laptops.

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
I roll one of these bad boys for home: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/marathon-mouse-m705

And a magic mouse for work. I have to say the magic mouse really isn't too bad, infact if you use full screen apps it's pretty useful being able to just flick back and forth between. Plus I find scrolling better than the logitech. I always thought they sucked but having used one for a while I quite like them
I agree... I understand that the MM isn't perfect for everyone,but its a very convenient mouse to have with OSX. The price is a little high for the lack of popularity though. I've played Diablo 3 with it, and it was good enough.

andymac2210

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
The magic mouse is 10x better than most logitech mice.

Sure, if you're gaming you'll want something else, but for actual work it's perfect.