rMBP Mouse?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cammington13, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Cammington13 macrumors newbie

I am curious as to what everyone is using for a mouse on their new rMBP's. The trackpad is great, don't get me wrong, but for games and work, its nice to have a mouse. Are most people using the magic mouse, or is there a better alternative out there?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What makes a mouse the "best" is highly subjective. Go to a store and play with a few so you can decide for yourself.

5. leman macrumors 604

IMHO, Magic Mouse must be the worse place of equipment ever produced by Apple, it has horrible ergonomy. For work, nothing beats the trackpad. For games, I use Razer Naga.

6. satchow macrumors 6502

7. CUsurfer macrumors member

I use a (wired) Logitech G500 with Steermouse. I prefer wired mice because I hate batteries and the lag with wireless mice. For me, the G500 felt great ergonomically, offered numerous extra buttons and features (including the logitech smooth/click togglable mouse wheel scrolling feature -- awesome). I tried the Performance MX, but it tracks in an incredibly bizarre manner and it's kinda massive.

Steermouse is really an incredible application. Best $20 I have ever spent (you can try it free for 30 days). Steermouse enables context aware application mapping. This means I can have my mouse buttons (the G500 nets me an additional 5 buttons + the typical ones) mapped depending on what application I'm using. It's an extremely powerful and useful capability.

The magic mouse is a steaming pile of crap for serious use. Probably the worst product Apple has ever put forth. Do yourself a favor and get a real mouse. It's unfortunately that driver support for Mac is so bad, but third party programs like USB Overdrive and Steermouse remedy this issue.

8. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I'm using the Logitech M555b (bluetooth) mouse. I've used the Magic Mouse in the past, but for some applications (i.e., gaming) that mouse really falls flat on the usability front.

9. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Magic Mouse + Magic TrackPad (when connected to a TBD).

10. stchman macrumors 6502a

I use a Logitech M525 wireless mouse with the little nano receiver. Works great.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

12. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Thirded, as far as for portability. And seconded for the awesomeness of the Performance MX.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Logitech Performance MX has terrific ergonomics and capability for home use. For portable use, I have their Anywhere MX.

14. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Exactly the same. When I'm at home performance MX is wonderful. Not too fond of the scroll wheel though. And the Anywhere MX is for school.

15. bamaster macrumors member

This is what I have. My last one died after a couple years. Loved it so much replaced it with another one.

16. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Razor Orochi!

Bluetooth and seriously awesome!

17. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Agree, Magic Mouse is a pos, horrible ergonomics and use. I just could never get used to it. Love my Logitec for my desktops and laptops if I want to use it with them, but I generally just use the trackpad on the laptops.

18. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

I roll one of these bad boys for home: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/marathon-mouse-m705

And a magic mouse for work. I have to say the magic mouse really isn't too bad, infact if you use full screen apps it's pretty useful being able to just flick back and forth between. Plus I find scrolling better than the logitech. I always thought they sucked but having used one for a while I quite like them

19. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I agree... I understand that the MM isn't perfect for everyone,but its a very convenient mouse to have with OSX. The price is a little high for the lack of popularity though. I've played Diablo 3 with it, and it was good enough.

20. Cammington13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wonder if Apple will update the magic mouse anytime soon?

21. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I love the Razer mice--not sure if I would specifically get that one but I know I'd find one of theirs to love. :)

22. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Ditto. Works great even in Windows apps via Parallels.

23. andymac2210 macrumors regular

The magic mouse is 10x better than most logitech mice.

Sure, if you're gaming you'll want something else, but for actual work it's perfect.