RMBP now or wait for the next generation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miles400, Jul 21, 2012.

  1. miles400 macrumors member

    miles400

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2012
    #1
    Hi I'm deciding wether I should cancel my RMBP base model with 16GB ram order and wait till the next generation are released e.g. will the next gen base RMBP have a significantly faster CPU and GPU and more SSD storage. Also around what month next year will apple release the new one, what do you think I should do?
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    If you need a computer now, buy it now. You can always wait. Nobody has any idea when the next round of retina Macbook Pros will be out.
     
  3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #3
    There will always be something that is better, faster, more, etc. in the future. Apple is sure to use newer chips in future Macs rather than older chips. If it does what you need today, it will do what you need tomorrow unless your needs change.
     
  4. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #4
    If you need it now, buy it now. I need it for Uni starting next week, so I have to buy it now. Even if I wanted next years model, I can't afford to wait.
     
  5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #5
    If you need it, buy it. If you're happy with your current computer, then don't.

    I normally prefer to wait for "version 2" of apple products, but I needed a new laptop. And since the cMBP configured as I want it costs about the same as the rMBP, I saw no reason not to get the rMBP
     
  6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #6
    I'd get the second gen, as it will be more refined, as well as possibly cheaper :)
     
  7. hakuin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    #7
    What will you use it for? Maybe it's worth it if pictures look better in Illustrator/Photoshop, but text in Word looks fairly terrible. If your software is not fixed wait.
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    There always be a better computer coming around the corner. If you choose to wait, no one has any idea of when it will be updated. Tied to the Hawell chipset I'm sure but when is anyones guess.

    My advice echos the other posters. You need one now, then get the rMBP, if you can wait, then wait.
     
  9. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Location:
    Denmark!
    #9
    Buy it now !

    If BEEEEEP Great!!! :D

    I love mine, its portable even with the 15" screen and its light, and just OP right now! It takes around 8-10 secs before mine is at the login screen.. Its nice! :)
     
  10. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

    mac1984user

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #10
    What motivated you to order the rMBP in the first place? If the same desires still propel you, then keep the order. If you no longer want the features of the rMBP, then cancel the order. I for one am extremely pleased with my rMBP purchase. The screen is absolutely incredible - it's worth the premium. I'm also not having some of the problems others mention on these sites, so perhaps I'd be singing a different tune in that case. However, if you thought the retina screen would be pretty cool, it is. The computer is also very fast, and the addition of USB 3.0 is a deal-sealer for me. Brilliant all around.
     
  11. AirThis macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2012
    #11
    Next generation? No way! :eek:

    Instead, keep drooooling and buy it in three years! By 2015, the rMBP will be cheaper and you will have come to realize that if you can survive for 3 years without it, then you would probably be just as well off with an Air. :p

    All kidding aside... We all have the same dilemmas when it comes to these new machines. The "problem" with Apple nowadays is that they only make great laptops, so their models are often in competition with each other. If you're happy with the rMBP, stop torturing yourself and keep it.
     
  12. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Location:
    Denmark!
    #12
    I would say i have small lagg problem on my RMBP on FaceBook in Safari and a little UI lagg when i got around 6 heavy programs open.. But hey ML is going to fix it all! :D
     
  13. sofianito macrumors 65816

    sofianito

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2011
    Location:
    Spain
    #13
    If you would like to belong to the very exclusive kool-aid drinkers club, then buy it now!!!, else you'll be banned forever :D

    Joking aside, can't you wait 2 weeks more? Believe me, patience is wise... You'll have at least a chance to return it if ML breaks its promises to fix retina issues...
     
  14. katmeef macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
    #14
    Sorry to burst your bubble but the UI is still choppy under ml gm.
     
  15. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #15
    I'm not really seeing any choppiness on the UI with my rMBP :cool:
     
  16. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2012
    #16
    There will always be something bigger and better on the horizon. Next year may bring Haswell but the year after may bring a 4K display, you never know and it is a poor idea to base your purchasing decisions on what may come out in the nonimmediate future.
     
  17. katmeef macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
    #17
    I mainly see it swiping to the dashboard, heavy tearing as the screens move would be a better description of those instances. Also hitting the green dot to make the window larger there's very slow response at times (but not always)

    Btw thanks for changing your picture, the old one of red eyed Ballmer was starting to give me nightmares. :)
     
  18. sofianito macrumors 65816

    sofianito

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2011
    Location:
    Spain
    #18
    I won't say Apple released something bigger and better this time...
     
  19. borisiii macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2010
    #19
    The fact that you are considering cancelling suggests that you don't really need one at the moment. If that's the case, I would wait. I upgraded because my old MacBook no longer met my needs, but there are some compelling reasons to hold off:

    • Prices of the retina MacBooks will almost certainly fall next refresh, and larger SSDs (at least on the base) are likely;
    • A 13" retina version is rumoured to be released, which may better meet your needs, and be cheaper;
    • Haswell (Intel's 2013 processor family) is expected to bring 30-40% faster processors, 200-300% better integrated graphics, and reduced power consumption to enable 10+ hour battery life.

    With that said, it's not worth waiting for any of these features if it means struggling on for another year with a computer that is already slow. There is always something newer and better on the horizon, so you need to strike a compromise between meeting your needs now and not missing out on major advances.

    Current information indicates that the earliest a Haswell refresh will take place is April, but more likely June. Buying now means your computer will be the latest and greatest for at least eight months, but if you can wait for the Haswell update, you probably should.
     
  20. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
  21. stuaz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    #21
    There will always be something better out.

    If you constantly wait for the "next version" of something, more on likely you won't ever get it at all...:rolleyes:
     
  22. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #22
    Sometimes it's worth avoiding rev A models, usually by rev B most of the quirks will have been sorted. Though, the RMBP seems pretty quirk-less from what I've read.
     
  23. gentlefury macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #23
    I hear in 16 generations they will make a computer so perfect you will never need to buy another! You should wait until then.
     
  24. Queen6 macrumors 603

    Queen6

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2008
    Location:
    Enjoying Better Things
    #24
    If you have a need for the Retina now, buy now if not wait, next generation will have Haswell, increased specifications, dont hold your breath for a price drop that wil take a few more iterations same as the Unibody from 08 onwards. Depending on your need consider the 2012 MBP as it has less complications than the Retina at present, and the lower tier come in with a fairly decent price drop compared to the base Retina.

    Personally the "1st generation best to be avoided" with Apple I firmly believe died out a few years back Apple are extremely focused on quality control and process engineering. I do advocate avoiding the first few batches primarily due to staff needing to adjust to new assembly process, other than this you have little to be concerned about. Every year Apple and it`s subcontractors build on experience and learnt lessons, narrowing the margins for error.

    From an engineering point of view the Retina is a tremendous machine and it`s difficult not to admire exactly what Apple have achieved, given the power versus the foot print :apple:
     
  25. stevelam macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    #25
    seriously? you must be selectively reading then. the rmbp is FULL of quirks which is expected for a first gen machine i suppose.
     

Share This Page