rMBP outside in the sun?

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Is it hard to see? I know they "improved" it, but if your out in a cafe or just in the sun, will the screen have a massive glare like the old MBP's?

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Is it hard to see? I know they "improved" it, but if your out in a cafe or just in the sun, will the screen have a massive glare like the old MBP's?
Glare is glare, the only way around it is a brighter screen. What Apple did was allow more brightness and used a type of glass that is marketed as reducing glare.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Macbook Pro's have a high-res anti glare option which you can see perfectly in the sun.
I just wanted to ask about the users experience, is it hard to see the screen?

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
Macbook Pro's have a high-res anti glare option which you can see perfectly in the sun.
I just wanted to ask about the users experience, is it hard to see the screen?
That "Anti-Glare" screen is nothing more than not putting the glass cover on the Mac. In other words, it is the display itself you are looking at with nothing in between.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
don't get me wrong. as long as it is equipped with glossy screen, it doesn't matter whether Apple told you that it's improved and better. it's still glossy. if you don't want that way, you should buy matte screen. actually, I have used matte screen quiet long time. it's great. it's even clear than glossy in any kind of situation. personally, I am not really impressed rMBP. it's just another version of macbook air with retina display. I have seen the case of chance to get in trouble is much huge than normal MBP. Apple's slowly faced with limitation. going too much faster is sometimes not good. I keep an eye on something how long apple will survive even after lawsuit against samsung. it's literally suicidal. in 21st century, coopreation is only way to survive. unfortunately, apple has been totally opposite way to deal with other companies.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
don't get me wrong. as long as it is equipped with glossy screen, it doesn't matter whether Apple told you that it's improved and better. it's still glossy. if you don't want that way, you should buy matte screen. actually, I have used matte screen quiet long time. it's great. it's even clear than glossy in any kind of situation. personally, I am not really impressed rMBP. it's just another version of macbook air with retina display. I have seen the case of chance to get in trouble is much huge than normal MBP. Apple's slowly faced with limitation. going too much faster is sometimes not good. I keep an eye on something how long apple will survive even after lawsuit against samsung. it's literally suicidal. in 21st century, coopreation is only way to survive. unfortunately, apple has been totally opposite way to deal with other companies.
Even if they don't deal with samsung well, many companies are willing to make deals and contracts with them if they drop their contract.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
Sitting in the shade outdoors on a sunny day I prefer my Rmbp over my old 09 13" mbp as Apple has reduced the glare by affixing the glass directly to the LCD. The glare on my 09 made it very difficult for me to see outdoors under any circumstances, regardless that it's screen could go brighter than the Rmbp.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
That "Anti-Glare" screen is nothing more than not putting the glass cover on the Mac. In other words, it is the display itself you are looking at with nothing in between.
I thought there was more to it than that in regards to the matte MBPs. I thought that Apple was actually doing something more than just not putting a glass over the screen to lower the reflectivity of the LCD panel.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Don't think so there, the Air's don't have the extra glass covering, and are completely different from the previous high-res antiglare option on the Pro. I had a an Air and it was def different from my 15" HR antiglare and def wasn't as good as reducing glare vs the 15.

I don't know what the specifics are but Apple obviously did other things for that option.

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
Don't think so there, the Air's don't have the extra glass covering, and are completely different from the previous high-res antiglare option on the Pro. I had a an Air and it was def different from my 15" HR antiglare and def wasn't as good as reducing glare vs the 15.

I don't know what the specifics are but Apple obviously did other things for that option.
The air never had a cover like the MacBook or MacBook Pro. Notice I didn't include the Air in that description. Just the MacBook Pro line.

----------

I thought there was more to it than that in regards to the matte MBPs. I thought that Apple was actually doing something more than just not putting a glass over the screen to lower the reflectivity of the LCD panel.
Yeah, that's all they did. Matte was just a "no glass cover" on the display.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If the sun is shining directly behind you onto the screen, you can't see with a antiglare display either. The "antiglare" element will defuse light and cause just as much of an viewing issue, though it will be more visible than a purely glossy display.

Contrary to popular belief, an antiglare display has nothing to do with what's on the top layer. It's simply easier to coat a display with a light diffusing surface. Just look at other display technologies. For example Nokia's ClearBlack panel is a antiglare panel as well dispite having a glossy top layer. It uses polarizing techniques to minimize glare.

Back to the Mac: Remedy for glare? Turn up the display brightness and don't have the sun sit behind you.

Last edited:

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I've been frequently using my rMBP in the bright sun in the garden, and it's perfectly comfortable at maximum brightness. Provided you don't bounce the sun off the screen and into your face, glare isn't really a problem.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The air never had a cover like the MacBook or MacBook Pro. Notice I didn't include the Air in that description. Just the MacBook Pro line.

----------

Actually the rMBP is a no extra layer of glass display. A matte is a finish that is bonded to a no extra glass screen. Look online for removing a matte coating. You will see its glossy under all that filtration.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
No laptop, glossy or anti-glare is useable under bright sun. That's just the limit of the modern technology.

calderone

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2009
Seattle

----------

Matte (anti-glare) is not simply no glass cover, it is actually a coating put on the panel.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Side by side with a glossy 13" MBP, glare is definitely reduced but not hugely. I don't know where the "75% reduction" came from, but I imagine it's based on a technical comparison that doesn't really equate to real world difference. Using it in the Sun is possible, depending on your tolerance to glare.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I think you need to go back and hear what Schiller had to say about matte options on classic MacBook Pros. All they literally do is not include the glass cover and add a support frame around the display.
You need to stop believing everything they say in those keynotes.