rMBP outside in the sun?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FatGuy007, Aug 17, 2012.

1. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

Is it hard to see? I know they "improved" it, but if your out in a cafe or just in the sun, will the screen have a massive glare like the old MBP's?

2. Jacobwilson99 macrumors member

Add on question: since the brightness was lowered, is it hard to see outside?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The screen will have glare issues just like every other laptop screen ever.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Glare is glare, the only way around it is a brighter screen. What Apple did was allow more brightness and used a type of glass that is marketed as reducing glare.

5. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Macbook Pro's have a high-res anti glare option which you can see perfectly in the sun.
    I just wanted to ask about the users experience, is it hard to see the screen?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That "Anti-Glare" screen is nothing more than not putting the glass cover on the Mac. In other words, it is the display itself you are looking at with nothing in between.

7. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

don't get me wrong. as long as it is equipped with glossy screen, it doesn't matter whether Apple told you that it's improved and better. it's still glossy. if you don't want that way, you should buy matte screen. actually, I have used matte screen quiet long time. it's great. it's even clear than glossy in any kind of situation. personally, I am not really impressed rMBP. it's just another version of macbook air with retina display. I have seen the case of chance to get in trouble is much huge than normal MBP. Apple's slowly faced with limitation. going too much faster is sometimes not good. I keep an eye on something how long apple will survive even after lawsuit against samsung. it's literally suicidal. in 21st century, coopreation is only way to survive. unfortunately, apple has been totally opposite way to deal with other companies.

8. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if they don't deal with samsung well, many companies are willing to make deals and contracts with them if they drop their contract.

9. 725032 Guest

10. katmeef macrumors 6502

Sitting in the shade outdoors on a sunny day I prefer my Rmbp over my old 09 13" mbp as Apple has reduced the glare by affixing the glass directly to the LCD. The glare on my 09 made it very difficult for me to see outdoors under any circumstances, regardless that it's screen could go brighter than the Rmbp.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I thought there was more to it than that in regards to the matte MBPs. I thought that Apple was actually doing something more than just not putting a glass over the screen to lower the reflectivity of the LCD panel.

12. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Don't think so there, the Air's don't have the extra glass covering, and are completely different from the previous high-res antiglare option on the Pro. I had a an Air and it was def different from my 15" HR antiglare and def wasn't as good as reducing glare vs the 15.

I don't know what the specifics are but Apple obviously did other things for that option.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The air never had a cover like the MacBook or MacBook Pro. Notice I didn't include the Air in that description. Just the MacBook Pro line.

----------

Yeah, that's all they did. Matte was just a "no glass cover" on the display.

14. alphaod, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the sun is shining directly behind you onto the screen, you can't see with a antiglare display either. The "antiglare" element will defuse light and cause just as much of an viewing issue, though it will be more visible than a purely glossy display.

Contrary to popular belief, an antiglare display has nothing to do with what's on the top layer. It's simply easier to coat a display with a light diffusing surface. Just look at other display technologies. For example Nokia's ClearBlack panel is a antiglare panel as well dispite having a glossy top layer. It uses polarizing techniques to minimize glare.

Back to the Mac: Remedy for glare? Turn up the display brightness and don't have the sun sit behind you.

15. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I've been frequently using my rMBP in the bright sun in the garden, and it's perfectly comfortable at maximum brightness. Provided you don't bounce the sun off the screen and into your face, glare isn't really a problem.

16. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Actually the rMBP is a no extra layer of glass display. A matte is a finish that is bonded to a no extra glass screen. Look online for removing a matte coating. You will see its glossy under all that filtration.

17. leman macrumors 604

No laptop, glossy or anti-glare is useable under bright sun. That's just the limit of the modern technology.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not referring to the rMBP there. I meant the old MBPs.

19. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Matte (anti-glare) is not simply no glass cover, it is actually a coating put on the panel.

20. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I know, I was giving an example of a MacBook pro that has a bare LCD with no matte coatIng and no cover glass.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I think you need to go back and hear what Schiller had to say about matte options on classic MacBook Pros. All they literally do is not include the glass cover and add a support frame around the display.

22. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Side by side with a glossy 13" MBP, glare is definitely reduced but not hugely. I don't know where the "75% reduction" came from, but I imagine it's based on a technical comparison that doesn't really equate to real world difference. Using it in the Sun is possible, depending on your tolerance to glare.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You need to stop believing everything they say in those keynotes.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, show me where or evidence that they spray a chemical on te display to reduce glare and I'll yield.

25. jav6454, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012