RMBP owners, did you get AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wmage, Jun 14, 2012.

?

Did you buy AppleCare

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. wmage macrumors member

Yes? How do you feel about spending extra $350?

No? How do you feel about risking something will break in two years and your computer will be worthless?

---

I would love to create a poll, but it looks like I'm too recent user to do that. Any moderator mind adding simple Yes/No poll? Thanks!

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Your computer wouldn't be worthless, you'd just have to pay to replace whatever parts break. It is like the gambling. You are gambling that something will break after a year if you buy it, you are gambling that something won't break after a year if you don't buy it.

I'm heavily considering buying it though.

3. JacinTatt macrumors member

I didn't buy AppleCare yet, but that is only because if I did, I wouldn't have had enough cash leftover to pay my phone and fuel bills. I completely intend on purchasing it some time in the next month or two though, as you have up to a year from the purchase date of your mac to buy AppleCare.

4. Nathan W macrumors newbie

1. You can buy AppleCare on Amazon.com for $299 so FYI.

2. You have up to a year (when your factory warranty expires) to buy AppleCare. I set a reminder in my calendar on June 1st 2013 to see how the reliability ratings are for it and to decide then.

5. MrManwelo macrumors member

as a student i get applecare for £50 ($77), so it was an easy decision.

6. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

For students in the us it is $230 :mad:

7. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Student Price is $230 in US.
    And I will absolutely get it, just not right now, but about 10-11 months from now.

Set a reminder in my calander already.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Poll added :)

I haven't purchased my MBP [yet] but given the new design I think extending the warranty by 2 years is a safe choice.

9. PAPO macrumors 6502

given that it's nigh on impossible to replace a single part of the retina pro (hence necessitating the replacement of the entire unit), an Apple care protection plan should be a MUST (but you do have a year to buy it)

10. vhp3 macrumors regular

amex

No. Only because I paid with AMEX. They double the warranty automatically. I have 2 years covered on my Retina.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I've voted and yes, I've added Apple Care. A bit pricey, but it's insurance.

13. asdad123 macrumors regular

I didnt purchase it with the laptop itself, but I will be purchasing it before the 1 year is up

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. I never buy AppleCare... or any ext. warranty for that matter. Many CCs extend the warranty by a year now if you purchase w/ that card. Also AppleCare for MBPs is around $300 discounted. I can sell my MBP this time next year for $500 under what I paid. $200 for the upgrades + $300 for additional year warranty (really two if you include my CCs extension). To me that's the better way to spend $300.

15. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Those credit card warranties are absolute garbage. They are such a pain to deal with. I don't buy warranties unless it's a TV, Computer, or something I can't afford to replace. However, the Geek Squad Protection Plans and AppleCare take all of the headache out of dealing with a broken electronic.

16. ppone macrumors regular

17. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If I did buy the laptop it'd be the first I got AppleCare. Certainly wouldn't want to see the invoice for repairs for something so proprietary.

18. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

You get it free if you buy online at your Universities campus. Thats what I do with all the Macs I have bought.

19. ppone macrumors regular

That seems like a good strategy. How much money do you lose upgrading each year?

20. Chupa Chupa, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't really consider it "losing money." My money is gone as soon as I pay the CC company. It's not like it's an investment where I'm hoping for a return. It's a purchase, which typically are in valuation free-fall the moment you use it.

Instead I think of my Mac purchases as self-financed leases. My goal is to spend $25-35/month on each computer I own, depending on their capabilities. And that is about what they cost me after I've sold them after a year. The key is to sell them just before a new model is announced. After that it's cheaper to keep them for another year b/c the big resale value hit comes right when the new model is released, then stabilizes until the next speed bump is announced.

Well, maybe you need a better CC company. I can tell you from my own experience that American Express's service is fantastic. All I had to do was tell them when I bought the item and they looked it up. I had the choice of using their repair service and they'd send me a box or I could use mine and they'd reimburse me after I faxed them a copy of the repair bill. I also had to charge the repair to my AMEX. No headache at all, and I still had $300 in my wallet.

21. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

No, but buying through the student store means that you get 3 years warranty, or "phone support" for an extra 2 years for £50.
    I did not buy the extra phone support.

22. leenak macrumors 68020

I use AMEX for everything but I've never had anything break. I'll have to look into the warranty thing.

I don't think your strategy would work for me as I can't be without a computer so I'd need to sell after I get a replacement. Although I do get a pretty decent corporate discount (better than the student), so I can see how it wouldn't cost too much to do it. I'm also lazy though.

We generally go through a 5-6 year cycle with laptops in our house. I use one for 3 years, give it to my husband who uses it for 2-3 years.

I'm not really worried about having the latest and greatest though but definitely an interesting strategy.

23. danetello macrumors 6502

I'm a student in the UK, so I get free AppleCare hardware support for 3 years. :D
    I can get telephone support for an extra £60, but I hardly use it for my other apple products so didn't get

24. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I typically always buy AppleCare with any Mac purchase I have ever gotten. When you need it, it saves a lot of money. I had to have my Screen and Logic Board replaced on my 27" iMac about 6 months ago and the repair would have been over a grand according to the ticket they gave me.

25. zurichuk macrumors regular

I voted no, but before 1 year is up it will be yes.