Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you buy AppleCare

• Yes

Votes: 79 65.8%
  • No

Votes: 55 45.8%

• Total voters

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Buy it before your warranty is runs out

you still have one year to decide. I suggest, you create a reminder when will your warranty expired. So that is next year sometime in June. Give you some time to save up some money. Ifix it scored it 1 out of 10 for repair, Im totally sure you will need it. And good thing about Apple Care even you are way pass your coverage. They sometimes give you some slack, even though you are like 6 mos past your apple care. So that is like 3 years and 6mos or so.

thetechteen

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
2. You have up to a year (when your factory warranty expires) to buy AppleCare. I set a reminder in my calendar on June 1st 2013 to see how the reliability ratings are for it and to decide then.

Although this is true, you only have a limited warranty for the first year. Let's say 9 months in your battery stops working for some reason.. guess what? it's not covered.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Woah, woah, woah, are you telling me I've just spent £50 on free phone support? Like i need phone support!? I'm at uni and bought while on my uni network. Why was it not free? Please help, i'm about to cancel my order!

EDIT: I've just checked through the terms of sale. it comes with 36 months care automatically. Im paying for telephone support. What a rip off! It doesn't make that clear through checkout. And when i tried to buy in store they wanted to charge me £177 for apple care! Very, very shifty. I shall be cancelling my order and reordering (using the money to upgrade the ram!). I do have to wait 2 more weeks for delivery though now. Apple <3

Online is is very clear, as long as you buy through the education store. It says or rather shows in grey the 'free' cover, which is 3 years hardware and 1 year technical . The 2 further years of technical are in red which shows you must buy, whereas all 3 years of hardware are in grey showing it is included.

I'd cancel it, and the stores don't offer the 'free' hardware, only on the phone or online.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-15 at 17.12.35.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-15 at 17.12.35.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 66

MrManwelo

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2010
Online is is very clear, as long as you buy through the education store. It says or rather shows in grey the 'free' cover, which is 3 years hardware and 1 year technical . The 2 further years of technical are in red which shows you must buy, whereas all 3 years of hardware are in grey showing it is included.

I'd cancel it, and the stores don't offer the 'free' hardware, only on the phone or online.

I don't think this is clear at all. It should say "Includes 3 years repair warranty for free, in the price of the Macbook Pro, you are paying for 2 extra years of telephone support"

It beats around the bush a little instead of just laying it out there straight. I cancelled my order and reordered without the Applecare, but with more RAM.

AndrewWx

Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
Ventura CA
I Like AppleCare for Laptops

I added AppleCare to my Retina MBP purchase. This laptop design is brand new and hard to work on. Just seemed like a good piece of mind.

David N

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
The Land of Milk & Honey
I've bought a new macbook pro every 8-10 months since 2006, and before that a couple of powerbooks.

I've never bought AppleCare, and probably never will.

My strategy is as follows:

I usually sell the laptop 8-10 months after buying it for two reasons;
1) I get a fresh new machine. If updates came out, I get a speed bump.
2) I also get a fresh new warranty.

I've never lost more than ~$200-300 doing this on higher end machines (I've usually bought fairly maxed out 17"s and a few 15"s, and I usually put an upgraded HDD/SDD and RAM in myself). For about $1 a day, considering how much I use my machine, I'm more than happy using this method, and not having to worry about AppleCare ;)

Last edited:

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Although this is true, you only have a limited warranty for the first year. Let's say 9 months in your battery stops working for some reason.. guess what? it's not covered.

Incorrect. If something is not covered under the limited warranty in the first year, it would not be covered in year 2 or 3 even if you purchased the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP). It is a common misconception that APP adds additional coverage, but in fact APP does not add any other coverage terms- it merely extends the 1 year warranty you got included in the purchase price to 3 years.

Furthermore, the battery is in fact covered under the factory warranty. If the battery's capacity falls below 80% before 1000 charge cycles, Apple will replace it as it is considered a manufacturing defect.
If the battery stops taking a charge or otherwise fails to function as described in your post, Apple will also replace the battery as it is also considered a mfg defect.

However, if the battery's capacity drops below 80% after 1000 cycles (but is still functional), you will need to shell out $200 to replace it. It does not matter if you're in the first, second, or third year, and it doesn't matter if you purchased APP. It will not be covered.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
    It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ethereal45

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
I am considering a Squaretrade warranty instead, which for $350 gives you the same coverage length but protects against accidental damage. Thankfully it hasn't happened to me since I bought my original Macbook back in 2006, but I can see dumping over a big glass of ice water or soda right into this thing. At that point AppleCare is not going to have any sympathy for you.

yth

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
With the student discount brining the price down to $240 it seems like a steal. Especially since the ram is soldered onto the motherboard!

a "steal"? They just sold you a $3k computer that comes with only a one year warranty. You absolutely *must* have AppleCare. it's a "tax", not a "steal"...

Rmafive

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
a "steal"? They just sold you a $3k computer that comes with only a one year warranty. You absolutely *must* have AppleCare. it's a "tax", not a "steal"...

I definitely understand what you are saying. They probably should include a better warranty for a $3k computer. Yet, getting free replacement for hardware problems does save quite a bit of money, making it a steal in that sense!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.