rMBP stutters when switching spaces-ML

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vraptor65, Jul 25, 2012.

1. vraptor65 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Just upgraded to ML. I have an rMBP 2.6 with 16 gig RAM and 512 SDD. ML overall definitely is quicker. The start up now takes less then 10 seconds vs. 15-16 sec with Lion. Safari is faster.

Interestingly, I have noticed that when switching spaces, the wallpapers stutter (drop frame rate) somewhat when on the integrated card. When on the discrete graphics, it is butter smooth.

I don't recall spaces switching ever being an issue with Lion when on the integrated card...

anybody else having this issue?

2. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

Having the same issue, not sure if theres really a fix... its the retina with integrated video card

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

The rmbp just lags all over the place even with ML.

4. vraptor65 thread starter macrumors newbie

What resolution are you running? For the hell of it, I just tried the 1920 x 1200 resolution, and the stuttering is really bad on the integrated card....

5. Office Hours macrumors member

This poster is seriously on a crusade. Look at his post history. Talk about throwing away any credibility.

6. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

ML definitely feels faster, but I do notice the choppy UI animations. It's kind of disappointing and hopefully it will be fixed in further updates.

7. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Early adopters always have something to complain about ... Kool aid addict denied the problem. Different thread same ol S*!t

8. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

I have the new rmbp. It's correct that I should get the new ML free right? If so how do I go about this? When I go to the app store it wants $20.

9. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

I'm on 1920x1200. I noticed that it's a bit smoothr on 2880x1800, but everything is freaking tiny! :eek:

Fill this out

10. mdapple macrumors regular

switching spaces is definitely laggier in ML. i made sure to check before installing ML and lion actually did not have any stutter even on integrated.

11. ~robbert macrumors newbie

It's a bit better on discrete gpu, but still laggy over here. Lion was way smoother when switching space.

12. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I'm not experiencing any of this choppiness. The only slow-down I've detected is if I have loads of windows and programs open and then swipe into 'Mission Control'. It takes a spit second for the windows to fall into place and you can tell the graphics card is working at it a bit. However, I don't have any issue with spaces generally speaking. For those with these problems, what resolution are you running at?

Edit: On the highest resolution setting offered with Apple's in-built settings, I notice a slight stutter when switching spaces. However, I operate mainly in 'Best for Retina', so that probably explains it.

13. mdapple macrumors regular

also, calendar month switch animation is now LAG TO DEATH! In lion it was way smoother!! wtf apple.

edit: no change with dedicated graphics card...serious

----------

sorry for double post, but its almost like ML throttled the CPU to a point that was less than lion! UNLESS you are running safari, which they optimized correctly, the rest of the UI is less fluid than lion...thats why all of this lag is occurring even with people forcing dedicated gpu.

14. JMB1911 macrumors regular

I am a smoothness freak, and ML is decent IMO. Still lags a bit here and there but overall it is much better.

15. flipnap macrumors 6502

wow. what a surprise. 50 percent of the people have no lag whatsoever, and the other half does. on the same exact machines. the mystery continues and nobody has an aswer.

16. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Perhaps it is a half empty/ half full glass kind of thing.

17. flipnap macrumors 6502

nope. people are driving each other crazy with all these posts about subjectivity and "youre too sensitive" etc.. but there are two very real differences in screen performance on identical machines, and to date not a single person here knows why.. including me..

18. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

A week ago a bunch of Kool Aid drinker claiming that ML will fix the Lag issue and it gonna be perfect. Where are the se Kool Aid drinker now?

19. flipnap macrumors 6502

Arent you embarrased using "koolaid" twice in the same post? If i see "kool aid" one more time im going to puke. Isnt there some other saying floating around now? How about "buying the bananas" or something. Please.

20. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Are you saying that people have spent thousands of bucks on a bipolar machine? :D

21. flipnap macrumors 6502

Ha ha! Well, i wish that were the case. Bipolar machines can be fixed. This seems to be one or the other. Truly bizarre and i dont think ive ever seen anything like this in my whole career. We need a showdown for sure and get to the bottom of it.

22. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

I wish MacRumors or some other reputable blog would reach out to Apple for comment. Of course, they probably would decline...

23. icowboys macrumors newbie

I find switching spaces becomes much smoother after activating the Dock's auto-hide feature.

There must be something with the Dock that's triggering this stuttering.

24. br3nt macrumors member

what happens if you put the mouse on the dock (making it pop up) and quickly use hand gestures to switch spaces?

Think I have a newbie theory... how many items on the dock are we talking about?

25. mdapple macrumors regular

yup, its the dock causing the lag. wtf. did they further "retinal-ize" the dock and now even that is lagging the UI? I thought it was already retina...whyyy