rMPB (16 GB) feels snappier

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jas210, Jul 19, 2012.

1. jas210 macrumors newbie

I couldnt wait for my order so i bought a base model. i installed ML gm and it was significantly faster. MY order arrived this morning :) for the 2.6/16/512 model... and i installed ML right away...the 16 gb is definitely working ..i dont see lag like i do on the base... i asked my wife to verify and she could see the base have a slight hesitation while scrolling. i am very happy with my purchase so far.. i decided to give my wife the base model. this laptop is worth the wait..

Attached Files:

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Makes no sense, unless you are exceeding 8Gb on the base model OS X simply does not work that way, out of curiosity are you keeping both or did you just buy the base with the intention of returning it, while others are still waiting...

4. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

It's not really a charity, he can do what he likes

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I never said he couldn`t, and if he chooses to return one, someone will benefit from a discounted "refurb" equally it strikes me as being somewhat selfish and a waste of resources.

6. Drask macrumors regular

Oh if only people learned to read before posting. :rolleyes:

7. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

How is it a waste to give it to his wife? I'm sure she would appreciate that. Besides, even if he put it in a drawer and never used it, it's not selfish. He bought the thing and can do whatever he wants with it. It's not like anyone is suffering by having to wait a few weeks for a new computer. Everyone who bought a rMBP will get it soon. The "shortage" is not a crisis.

8. Gregintosh, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

Gregintosh macrumors 68000

What wait? You can go into Apple stores and pick up the base model no problem. Well I guess maybe I am spoiled because I am by a major city (Chicago). I strolled into a local Apple store here and got one no problem.

Anyway, according to iStat I got over 3GB free of my 8GB of RAM. Only about 4GB are active or wired and 1GB is inactive. So theoretically if I got 16GB of RAM doesn't it mean I'd just have 11GB free?

Also from my experience, RAM only helps you run multiple things at once. It does not "speed" up your computer. The only way that happens is if your RAM is overloaded and your computer has to rely on a slower hard drive instead, which slows things down. But if you got "Free" RAM in each computer, then any speed differences are probably due to other causes.

I wonder how much of these anecdotal stories can be attributed to placebo. Also, I wonder if ML is going to get some early patches to fix certain issues. The other thing in question is if those were fresh installs or upgrades and how that may have impacted things.

Another thing to consider is that the graphics card can switch on the fly. Perhaps on one the Intel card was on, while on the other the nVidia card was on. There is software to force the computer to use a certain card, maybe that can be used to get a more accurate comparison.

9. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

Just surfing and dilly daddling in 10.8, i have 8GB free of my 16GB...the OS likes to use all it can.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

duly noted :eek:

11. jas210 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it at an applestore in san antonio..so yeah, a major city i guess :)
    it does feel snappier..i been comparing all day with my wifes base..

who cares that i bought two? what is it to you? sounds like your hating bro.. thats childish . what i do with my hard earned cash is no ones business..like someone said, i can put it in my drawer and it would not be your business.
    too many haters when people have what others work hard for:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ANYWAY..i am loving this week..first i get my 1st (or 2nd) retina , and now dark knight comes out :)

everyone who doesnt have one yet, i hope yours comes asap,sorry if i took one out of the supply chain :rolleyes:

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

When you say base, do you mean it's a 2.3 as well? Perhaps that's contributing to the lag difference. I hope it's the ram and not the CPU, since I'm going to regret not spending $250 for the 2.7 otherise... lol

----------

2880x1800 is a pretty high resolution. And since apple has to take into account the possibility of using a 1920x1200 work space, the framebuffer has to handle 3840x2400. And I'm sure all that background scaling and processing takes its toll on the system. So when an app is trying to draw several frames per second, the memory requirements can shoot up pretty quickly. OSX already is pretty inefficient with memory use (my experience), so I can see it being used up fairly quickly.

13. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I think what he was arguing against was buying a 16GB MBPR online (as BTOs aren't available in most stores), and then buy an 8GB MBPR from a storefront, use it for the 2-4 weeks that you wait, and then return it under the "return period." Basically renting an MBPR for free until yours comes in. Something that some (including me) find morally reprehensible, as you are taking advantage of a try-out period and using it as a rent.

14. Fiestaman macrumors regular

Seconded. I think people misunderstood his issue.

15. katmeef macrumors 6502

Morally Reprehensible = Realizing you need 16 GB so you take advantage of the 14 day return policy (provided by Apple) to buy the machine right for your needs? So evil... Especially when the sales rep assured you that 8 would be enough at initial time of purchase.

16. teeejay macrumors regular

May I just ask you, I am brand new Mac user, I do not want to start a new thread about it.

But when ML comes out, how am I supposed to download it? Via MacApp store or just "check for updates". I did not get any code for free download.

Thank you :eek:

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

RAM doesn't contribute at all at making the systen run faster, so you should thank, probably, the CPU.

18. Hrim macrumors member

Hi,

Can you please provide further information on this case, as I had the base 8GB, and gave it back to the store (paint defect) and bought a new one via the online store and wonder if I want to pay the extra for the 16Gb (I got the macbook with applecare for around 1500$, so I don’t mind putting 200$ more for upgraded ram, should it be usefull.).

My 8GB was a bit slow at first, but then with ML it ran faster in my opinion. I think the bottleneck must be the CPU, but I can’t take the 2.6 version as I need to maximize the battery life. So maybe the extra ram would somehow help to smooth the stuff? I am aware that ML manages memory in an odd way, and that you end up having swaps and page in/out. Maybe the 16Gb can alleviate this situation and provide solace to the SSD, ergo leaving the CPU with more time to work on that beachball.

-Can you have those side by side, with ML OSX 10.8, restarted and load a heavy website? What’s the spread in speed?
    -When booted, without any app open, what is the battery life when you have similar settings (Light, sound, wifi, Bluetooth and Timemachine)?
    -When loaded with many app (Safari, Aperture, Photoshop, iTunes, Flash, etc.) what is the battery life/reactivity?

Again, I think that won’t change much, but can you say a bit more about this?

19. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Well, you have a difference of intent. In my scenario, you have someone who KNOWS they need 16GB ORDER a 16GB computer, then just get 8GB MBPR for a few weeks because "you need a computer".

In your scenario, you have someone who DOESN'T KNOW what they need, and buy the 8GB MBPR INTENDING to keep it if it works for them. Then, AFTER judging whether or not 8GB will work for them, they MAY order the 16GB.

Look, I'm not going to judge you by my morals, but I'm just putting out there the way that some people see it.

20. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Off topic question but yes you are correct, Apple will distribute Mountain Lion via the Mac App Store first. Then perhaps later, through USB thumb drives.

21. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

I experienced rmbp at apple store. but moving touchpad point seemed little lagging. then I tested what frame rate will be. it was average 21fps which is not acceptable. so if it is added more memory like 16GB, it will be improve without doubt. but it's still wasted money anyway. normally 8GB memory is plenty for any PC or mac. ratina display seems overkill. honestly, I didn't see any difference on my eyes even though color & contrast were little smooth.

22. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No man if you have a use for them it`s all good, it`s the ones who are abusing the system that irritate; getting them for no reason other than to return etc

23. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

While I wouldn't be comfortable "renting" a temporary laptop for free as I'm waiting for mine, I think Apple is to blame for this phenomenon as much as the people doing this.

They should be keeping in stock what the public demands, and it's like they didn't expect RAM upgrades to be more popular as they started soldering it to the motherboard. I'm not sure if people I hear about online are representative of rMBP buyers in general but it seems like base model + 16GB RAM is very popular and Apple stores have none. I say it's bad predictions on their part.

24. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i did exactly that. Rules are set in place, played by the rules.