Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dutch company Robin Telecom today announced that its Robin ProLine doorbell is the first to support HomeKit Secure Video, allowing the camera to capture and store recordings securely in iCloud.

robin-proline-doorbell-homekit-secure-video.jpg

With help from an Apple TV, HomePod, or iPad set up as a home hub, the ProLine doorbell can intelligently detect when motion from a person, animal, or vehicle is captured and store a recording in iCloud. When activity is detected, users will instantly receive a push notification on their iPhone or iPad and can play video clips right from the Lock screen or in the Home app.

With end-to-end encryption, HomeKit Secure Video is billed as a safer option than storing recordings on the servers of third-party accessory makers. A demo of the feature from an Apple Store was recently shared by Zach Truskowski.

HomeKit Secure Video is only available to users that pay for 200GB or more of iCloud storage, starting at $2.99 per month. Users with the 200GB plan can store 10 days of recordings from one camera in iCloud at no extra cost, while those with a 2TB plan can store 10 days of recordings from up to five cameras. HomeKit Secure Video recordings do not count towards a user's iCloud storage usage.

To update the doorbell's firmware, update the Robin ProLine app to version 1.6.0 or later and tap on the gear icon in the ProLine accessory to open the Details page. Tap on "update firmware" followed by "start firmware update."

Priced at EUR599 in Europe, the Robin ProLine features 720p video recording, a 130-degree viewing angle, IP53-rated water and dust resistance, and a brushed aluminum finish available in space gray, silver, or black.

While several other HomeKit Secure Video doorbells have been announced, the Robin ProLine is the first to support the feature.

Article Link: Robin ProLine Becomes First Doorbell to Support HomeKit Secure Video

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BlankStar

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
My $149 nest (black friday price) can do everything that can. But I guess the .0005% of the population that needs "end to end encryption" to see the pizza man at the door, might be interested.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I converted one of my Logitech cameras over to HomeKit Secure Video. I like the interface, and the people, animal, and motion detecting is actually really good with HomeKit. The best part is not having to pay any extra fees.

For the doorbell though, I don't know if I could give up my Nest. When someone rings the doorbell, a live video feed instantly pops up on my Lenovo Smart Display in the kitchen, and all of the Google Assistants in my house announce the person by name if I've got them set up. It makes me feel like I'm living in the future ?

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Where's the actual doorbell (button) on this thing?
The bell logo/name of the person. It's backlit.

But as stated: that price, for 720p... I hope they find some rich folks who want to spend that cash for a doorbell/lousy camera.

We're still waiting for our building permit, so guess I have some more time to wait on solutions with a normal price tag.

*edit*
@Sllimnived I'm loving that doorbell! Subscribed to the mailinglist. Looks great!

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I think I will stick with my Ring Pro doorbell.

Works well, detects people and pets at the door. No monthly fees. Send notifications to my phone. Has social network so you can get notified by other users when crimes occur in your neighborhood and see their videos of the perps.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Well this crazy thing for $600... at least it proves it can be done.

You're up Netatmo!

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
Like: the concept, the integration with Homekit &etc
Dislike: the pricing. Are they insane or have I misread/missed the bit where they send a liveried butler round to answer the door for you?

Oculus Mentis

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
UK
A "ProLine" doorbell... Pathetic! What are they going to flog next? A ProLine catflap for "professional" felines?

bakerzdosen

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
I mean, doesn't everybody already have PoE running to their doorbell?

I honestly think I COULD get an ethernet run there, but man I struggle with that design choice - moreso than 720p. (Not to mention the idea of having to pay to ship my *doorbell* back to the Netherlands for warranty work.)

Reactions: RogerWilco

Hodar1

macrumors regular
I fail to understand the resolution that these doorbells produce.
Given the IMPORTANCE of knowing who is stealing your mail, packages breaking into your door, robbing you or whatever WTH are is wrong with the resolution capabilities?

Yes, I expect that for the money they are charging, they AT LEAST provide Face Tracking, autofocus and 2K Video at a minimum. Some of the Next video's I have seen of thieves ripping packages off, could be a family member - and you couldn't tell by the lousy quality of the video.

Reactions: Vanilla35
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.