Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ach

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Privacy Is Lost, Watch out Petraeus

Quite the disclaimer.....

Notice:
1) The first time you run it, they alert you that data will be sent to Google for testing purposes.
2) Google SW are always Beta for a long time.
3) To access contacts, you can't. You must be logged in to Google and store contacts there.
4) The will store history there once you are logged in
5) Your information will be used for Google Latitude
6) That combined with the data sent for traffic updates, testing purposes and linked to you Google account, they know EVERYTHING!! Where you are, where you been and when, how fast you were driving and all your contacts.
7) With a warrant, the can gather everything about you. That is how Petraeus' was caught off the Gmail account.

That is one of the reasons Apple's Google Map was dumped.

And they complained that the old Apple map had data containing where you were in cache!

mashkina

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2006
Dubai
Haha, and so Apple wins in the end. They wanted Google to add turn by turn to Google Maps. They wouldn't. Apple plays the Apple Maps card. Now Google produces a "better than Android" version of Google Maps for iOS. Seems to me that Apple got what they wanted from this deal, and win-win for the users.

Not really. Google is now in control of what the iPhone user is looking for and going to. Apple is just the HW. The last "mouse" click is Google's courtesy. For me living in Dubai, gMaps is great because iMaps is just empty. But I hope, Apple sorts out all that stuff. It is a matter of time.

Last edited:

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Anyone know if the transit directions have live GPS bus positioning? If not then I still say Apple's third party solution is better in that regard because third party developers can hook into the live data feeds for local transit vehicle positions and give you a better experience.

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
Does anyone else feel like this is a really bad sign? Google handles the maps on the iPhone while being their main competition in the mobile market, Apple drops Google's map and integrates their own and then fails in the effort, Google makes a better version of a map app than even on their own platform and everyone on the iPhone jumps ship.

This just seems like a very horrible thing for Apple.

It's actually good. Now apple doesn't have to worry about their maps app.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I remember getting lost with Google a few years ago and Apple a few months ago.

With Google I had followed some numb skull's pin-point. Apparently at the time, Google Maps was displaying user-created points! After zooming in and looking at the street names, it was obvious that the point was wrong -- BUT -- looking around the CORRECT area I was able to find the CORRECT pin-point! So yes, there was one that was correct, and one that was wrong.

Apple only gives you ONE option: EITHER one that is correct, or one that is horribly wrong : (

When I got lost with Apple Maps... I was actually walking in the opposite direction of where I was supposed to go!! And NOTHING on the Apple maps seemed to resemble the web-version of Google Maps I was trying to use at the time. Unfortunately this is the thing with Apple Maps. If you don't know EXACTLY where the location is one the map -- for example, if you haven't bookmarked it before, then you're almost as good as lost! At least for now. It does seem that they're adding places, but these don't seem searchable!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Is the advantage of not having legacy code to support. I expect that they will port thing from the iOS apps to Android

This is exactly what will happen.

It's not like the hard work they put into the iOS version WON'T end up in the Android version.

I could only hope certain iOS developers ** cough ** ** cough ** Marketcircle ** cough **** cough ** would do the same with their apps.

Now, it'd be sad if not all Android devices get the update at the same time.

colinmorgan11

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
When you use a URL from the share feature of the app, why don't the directions open in the app? They use the safari version of g maps instead

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Notice:
1) The first time you run it, they alert you that data will be sent to Google for testing purposes.
2) Google SW are always Beta for a long time.
3) To access contacts, you can't. You must be logged in to Google and store contacts there.
6) That combined with the data sent for traffic updates, testing purposes and linked to you Google account, they know EVERYTHING!! Where you are, where you been and when, how fast you were driving and all your contacts.
7) With a warrant, the can gather everything about you. That is how Petraeus' was caught off the Gmail account.

That is one of the reasons Apple's Google Map was dumped.

And they complained that the old Apple map had data containing where you were in cache!

Tin foil hat?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
7)

And?

Seriously....why is this a problem? I've yet to see a real valid reason why this may cause problems for anyone other than a serial killer trying to cover their tracks.

I'm not trying to troll or be some sort of Google Fanboy here. But nobody has ever actually provided me with a genuine reason why this matters.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
So...huh? Didn't "apple maps" come into existence because google wouldn't include turn by turn? Now they're including turn by turn for free anyway? I'm super confused. This, aside from siri support, makes apple maps feel pretty useless. Even though i do like the look of apple's a little more

And I suppose all of these "new" features and design of Google Maps for iOS would have appeared eventually if Apple hadn't kicked the old Google Maps to the curb? Right? Nobody gets it do they? Google had intentionally crippled their app for competitive reasons. Apple was forced to do something. Google didn't think they would. Apple did. Google got caught with its pants down around its knees because it needs its apps on iOS to make money. Now Google has suddenly gotten on board. I wonder why. I wonder how many times Apple asked them to improve their app on iOS before striking out on their own path. I wonder why all this happened in the first place.

Now what about app linking? Will there be an option to launch the app you want when you make a map request?

randymac88

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Am i missing something or is there no street view? This is big in NYC, where i'm at (although admittedly, EVERY TIME there is some random truck blocking the storefront i'm trying to see).

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I used Google Maps on the way to work this morning. Worked flawlessly, as expected. I did notice that the voice gives you FAR less detail about the roads, turns, etc. than Apple Maps & Navigon. It's all "in 1 mile, turn right", "turn right". Google Maps' turn-by-turn voice also has problems interrupting music that's playing on the phone. Whereas Apple Maps and Navigon mute the volume of the music and take the focus of the audio, Google Maps hiccups when trying to speak over the music. I'm sure this is a bug that will be fixed soon.

Nice job by Google of creating rolling banners that detail the upcoming turns. It's not a persistent banner like Apple Maps, but it's appreciated nonetheless.

I have one complaint so far, and perhaps I just haven't figured it out yet - how do you search for a contact? I can't type a contact's name into the Search field and pull them up.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Google Maps:
Search - for local Baskin Robins
Answer - In a local housing community, 1/4 mile away from the location

Apple maps:
Search - for local Baskin Robins
Answer - In the shopping center where it's located

Conclusion:
Neither are perfect. In areas where Apple has good POI data, it can match Google.

On a side note, Google Maps has a terrible UI, imo. To each his own I guess.

I'm happily sticking with Apple maps and rolling my eyes at all the people who got upset about Apple maps that live in the U.S.

Why (or how) is the Google Maps app so bad in terms of UI? Can the folks who are griping about this please clearly explain what is bad about it?

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
Am i missing something or is there no street view? This is big in NYC, where i'm at (although admittedly, EVERY TIME there is some random truck blocking the storefront i'm trying to see).
Tap on the spot you want for the address to load at bottom of screen. Flick up on the address and street view is there.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Tap a location to set a pin if there is none. Then sweep your finger up from the bottom to see Street View at that location.

It also has a mode to move the view as you turn around, I think. (Didn't seem to do anything on my iPad.)

Tap again to bring up the address at top, and tap the left arrow to go back to the map.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
What I don't get is why google keeps making these great apps for ios and offering them for free. They even make the apps better and more intuitive then for there own operating system which is even more of a head scratcher.

Unless apple is paying them behind the scenes I don't get it. It seems counter competitive.

If I were Samsung, HTC, LG etc I wouldn't be too happy about this.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I used Google Maps on the way to work this morning. Worked flawlessly, as expected. I did notice that the voice gives you FAR less detail about the roads, turns, etc. than Apple Maps & Navigon. It's all "in 1 mile, turn right", "turn right". Google Maps' turn-by-turn voice also has problems interrupting music that's playing on the phone. Whereas Apple Maps and Navigon mute the volume of the music and take the focus of the audio, Google Maps hiccups when trying to speak over the music. I'm sure this is a bug that will be fixed soon.

Nice job by Google of creating rolling banners that detail the upcoming turns. It's not a persistent banner like Apple Maps, but it's appreciated nonetheless.

I have one complaint so far, and perhaps I just haven't figured it out yet - how do you search for a contact? I can't type a contact's name into the Search field and pull them up.

someone else said you need to allow google access to your contacts then it stores those contacts in google's software/cloud/settings.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
What is everyone freaking out about???

So since everyone is freaking out in their pants about the new Google Maps app... Did anyone actually even use it yet?

• Absolutely NO ACCESS to contacts... wtf??? Even the free crappy MapQuest app has this!!
  • No Street View?? This is one of my favorite things about Google Maps in general, especially when researching the location of new places you haven't been to yet. The mobile web version has this, so why doesn't the app??
  • No voice search?? Honestly that's one of the most convenient things about Siri and Apple Maps. Quickly ask where the closest [whatever] is and get right into the navigation. Google has great voice search for their maps (I've used it on previous Android phones) and it would be nice to have that convenience here.
The app looks very nice and seems to be quite smooth. I have not even used the navigation feature yet, but these three things above are what I immediately noticed upon opening the app with excitement.

I'm one of the apparent few that has had zero issues with Apple's Maps app, although I greatly missed Google. My excitement has been severely deflated for now though. I'll keep it and use it for a while to see how it goes, but it sure is missing some key features...

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
be carefull, your statement is well written.

every one wants competition for apple, and when they get it, those folks shout 'embarrasing for apple'.

google was holding apple hostage with an archaic maps app that google refused to update. apple called their bluff, and google caughs up their trumping card. if any thing, apple forced google's hand, and apple products are now better. apple wins, the consumer wins, google lost their lofty place in the ios echosystem. who wins the most?

Exactly. This is how I felt from the beginning of this maps fiasco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.