Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
So what? I have the option to NOT register or sign in to a Google account AND to turn off Google Maps location sharing. DONE.

Do I have the option to NOT use Apple Maps within iOS 6? Sadly not. Being the default mapping app, any address link in Safari or another app like Yelp is going to send me me to Apple Maps. And does Apple data mine me when using their Maps app? Of course they do!

So what's your point again?

Also, if you REALLY want to know how Google uses the info it collects on you, go to: http://www.google.com/ads/preferences

They even allow you to CHANGE your own profile or REMOVE anything you don't want there. Quite sinister, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Seriously, you really don't get it. This is similar to when companies offer a rebate for an item you purchase. They do this because most people will forget or not take the effort to fill out the form and send in the copy of the receipt.

Of course they allow you to make those changes and remove anything you don't want. That is to abide by privacy laws. But most of the people that sign up with Google either do not realize this could be an issue or they don't even know you can make those changes.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
The question is, then why didn't Google update their maps app before Apple released their own? We know that Apple wanted Google to add turn-by-turn navigation to their maps app. Google, of course, was reluctant to give away one of the top Android feature to iPhone.

This whole drama was a necessary evil. In the end, we have better maps app. Had Apple not released their map, we would be still using old google maps with old interface and no turn-by-turn navigation.

Competition is good sometimes.

Google wanted their name on the app and wanted to advertise within the app. Apple said no and we are where we are today. Apple came up with their own native map app and Google was free to develop their own app for the app store and do what they pleased with it. It's business. I love the competition as well.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Ultimately, Apple got what it wanted as well: Google to include voice turn-by-turn in the iOS version of is App equal to what it had been offering on other devices.

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
Love how google maps integrates with my car's navigation system (BMW iDrive) ..search for the location using the app and it gets trasferred straight to my navi via bluetooth. Apple's doesn't do this.

bfreecity

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
This is a win for apple in the long run

Free reign? That's not just hyperbole, you are right on. Apple just allowed Google to release one of the most important apps for its phone, in competition with its own 1st party app...

...AND they let Google release API so that all of Apple devs can include google maps in their apps instead of Apple maps.

WTF? That's full on panic mode from apple. Absolutely embarrassing. *****.

It's a step back for apple at first, but it acts as a bandage until they improve apple maps. In the meantime, they got google to provide turn by turn while launching their own app that will, in time, catch up and eventually be embraced with enthusiasm, just as the iphone 4s was embraced after the embarrassing -- but temporary -- setback of antennagate on the 4. In short, it's not a big deal, and now iPhones have a BETTER version of google maps than androids!

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Whats wrong with that?

:confused:

As in I LOVE IT. I've been hoping Apple maps could do that in the next update. But now that Google Maps is out. Apple Maps? What's that? They have a maps app? Oh yeah it's in one of my useless apps folder. Hahaha just talking smack but seriously, I'm loving the GMaps.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
The market opened this morning with GOOG way up and AAPL way down seemingly on this news. Reality check, haven't the wireless carriers been reporting a large increase in set-asides for the iPhone 5 selling as good or better than expected? Isn't this sort of data an indication that AAPL will beat estimates on earnings come January?

AAPL will beat estimates every quarter. Cook has this worked out. Every quarter he will release a new revision.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
no advertising in App Store

I think it says something about Apple that while the Google Maps app is now the number 1 free app in the App Store, the app is not advertised anywhere. It's not even listed in the special section called "Find maps for your iPhone". Makes Apple look a bit childish.

Jimeny

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Haha! Google Maps is No.1 in the top 25 tab in AppStore and it's only been out for 24hours.

You did a massive PR fail with Maps, Apple. Finally I can download iOS 6 without having to loose the reliable and brilliant service that is GMaps. :)

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Google Maps located me 4 Km from my actual location. I tested it all around the city today and it got 5 locations and 2 addresses wrong.

I think people should just stop beating this horse, because Google Maps wasn't and isn't perfect either, it's just some make it a religion, because Apple is involved.

Unfortunately some people aren't rational/intelligent. The guy above you just called Google "God".

fubaracing7374

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
It's a step back for apple at first, but it acts as a bandage until they improve apple maps. In the meantime, they got google to provide turn by turn while launching their own app that will, in time, catch up and eventually be embraced with enthusiasm, just as the iphone 4s was embraced after the embarrassing -- but temporary -- setback of antennagate on the 4. In short, it's not a big deal, and now iPhones have a BETTER version of google maps than androids!

Nicely said.

scoiattolo49

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
can't get that to do anything for me. Am I just misunderstanding what you're saying? When I swipe two fingers to the left it just moves my map to the right. I've tried it SEVERAL times.

When you start the app, look at the bottom right of the screen: there is a tiny handle with 3 dots.
Pull that towards the left and you will get the menu with the options for displaying Traffic, Public Transport, Satellite and Google Eart

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
As in I LOVE IT. I've been hoping Apple maps could do that in the next update. But now that Google Maps is out. Apple Maps? What's that? They have a maps app? Oh yeah it's in one of my useless apps folder. Hahaha just talking smack but seriously, I'm loving the GMaps.

Ah!! :)

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

I tried versions on both platforms, iOS is more streamlined, Android still has more features

I don't think people will consider this a "bandage" fix that you're saying. The tone I've been seeing on the internet has been "Thank god Gmaps is back, Apple maps is going to the crap apps folder" rather than "I'll just use Gmaps for now until Apple Maps has been fixed"

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
- Google's blog post on the app notes that Google Maps for iOS supports iOS 5.1 and higher, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. Apple's turn-by-turn voice navigation does not support iOS 5 and those two iPhone models.

Apple is so beat!

I hope Tim will listen and put these features (and Siri) on older devices.

stepshows

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
Very Good News

I'm a big-time Apple fan, but the Apple Maps has let me down on more than one occasion. If you can't rely on the results, it's no good to me.

Thanks to Google for making it happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.