Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhilferty108

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
I do wish google maps would access your contacts so I could type in a name and get the address without copy-paste

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You should check out the rest to forum before you make that statement.

Most US people don't have issues with Apple maps.

The US does not equal 'Most People' - shocking as that may seem.

So no. 'Most People' wont carry on using Apple Maps, because 'Most People' (I.E anywhere outside the US) has a crippled maps app.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
It is kind of "amazing" how some people's hypercritical focus on errors or shortcomings suddenly vanishes when the Google logo appears on an app.

Absolutely.

I have already seen post with errors from google maps. (btw the same type of errors with the previous version of google maps).

I think people forgot the Google Maps was not perfect.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Similar situation for me. We bought my mother a second hand iPhone 4 (she was still on the iPhone1 - a hand-me-down) and she wanted it reverted back to "the old one" (being iOS5) as the maps gave her wrong directions, and couldnt find one of the locations.

She's the least techy person you'll ever meet too.

----------

The key part of your contradiction being 'FOR THE MOST PART'.

I just used the ios version. I still think the android version is better looking and fits the look of the OS much better. It also has much more functionality and is smoother in scrolling.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Some negative feedback. iPhone 3GS, so the experience may be different on newer phones, not sure.

Entered into a turn-by-turn navigation session, not sure how to get out. hahaha.. nothing works to exit back to a menu screen.

EDIT: Figured it out, but wasn't very intuitive at first. Clicking the X at the bottom of the screen did what I wanted.

Clicking an X wasn't intuitive :confused:

What isn't intuitive at all is how to get into street view. That one took me a few minutes to figure out.

Last edited:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

So no. 'Most People' wont carry on using Apple Maps, because 'Most People' (I.E anywhere outside the US) has a crippled maps app.

Read the post closer.

In the US, Apple Maps is fine, therefore most of us(in the US) don't have a reason to change.

But since you opened the door, the sales of iPhones in the US is rather signicant part of Apples business so....it might actually be most of us in terms of iPhone users.

johnswilson1

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
apple doesn't block map apps

I can't believe Apple allowed this on the store. It is clearly a better product than Apple Maps. It's one thing to admit you screwed up, but to allow your direct competitor free reign on your platform?

I can only think that Apple has realized getting Apple Maps in order is going to take much longer than they first thought, and they want to 1) prevent people choosing Android over iPhone because of the Maps, and 2) encourage people to upgrade to iOS 6 -- which is a serious problem for developers that want to utilize iOS 6 features.

I will say that transit directions "were not available" in my area, which is Los Angeles. And the user experience seems very Androidy. But certainly it's more full-featured than Apple Maps.

Why wouldn't they allow it? You do realize there are tons of maps in the app store right? I don't understand why people keep acting as though no map apps existed prior to Google Maps. Or that none worked. There are great alternatives in the store, and Apple doesn't block map apps.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
What rationale reason would you have for making a conscious decision to stick with Apple's maps?

It's the default map, and works more than good enough for my needs. I use Siri to initialize the navi, and the turn by turn makes it an upgrade vs. iOS 5 for me, as i use that a lot. I never use transit data anyways so I don't really care it's missing.

It have once taken me on a crazy detour, but when trying the same address in navigon, it went equally bad.

Replacing it with google is no more worth it than replacing the weather app imo. But I'm glad you and everyone else who find apples effort lacking, now have yet another choise.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.

Google Maps located me 4 Km from my actual location. I tested it all around the city today and it got 5 locations and 2 addresses wrong.

I think people should just stop beating this horse, because Google Maps wasn't and isn't perfect either, it's just some make it a religion, because Apple is involved.

sanggeol

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
We're forgetting something here..

The question is, then why didn't Google update their maps app before Apple released their own? We know that Apple wanted Google to add turn-by-turn navigation to their maps app. Google, of course, was reluctant to give away one of the top Android feature to iPhone.

This whole drama was a necessary evil. In the end, we have better maps app. Had Apple not released their map, we would be still using old google maps with old interface and no turn-by-turn navigation.

Competition is good sometimes.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Free because Google maps is free, I could include the TomTom app but seeing as it's 40 quid it's hardly fair to is it? And why are you going on about Apples approval process? Where did I mention anything about Apples approval process?
Also so even the app you posted uses Google maps, so what your saying is their is no free alternative Google maps as fully featured as Google maps, and the ones that are use Google maps.

Are you moving goalposts on me ? Read the post I was responding to before you interjected. The guy was saying Apple admitting this Google Maps app into the app store was some kind of admission of defeat by Apple.

Are you, yes or no, saying Apple is admitting some kind of defeat ? If yes, I take objection to that, based on all the precedent set by other navigation and maps app.

If you don't agree that Apple is admitting defeat, then why are you arguing the contrary with me ?

Context.

----------

In the US, Apple Maps is fine, therefore most of us(in the US) don't have a reason to change.

Except it has tons of issues in the US too as pointed out by many other people living in the US.

Google Maps is not perfect, but it sure lacks the magnitude of errors that Apple Maps has.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
All in all, this is great for consumers. Apple maps was horribly lacking just a few months ago. Fast forward to today and we have Apple's new and excellent maps app with great integration and features and offline capability. Note I said the app was great, not the data.... data can get better with time etc. My biggest issue with Apple Maps is the point of interest data is just sorely lacking. And now after only a 3 month hiatus we have a fully functional Google Maps option as well. Everyone wins here.

Please, everyone, stop with the 'OMG this is so embarrassing for Apple' nonsense. Apple is pissed at itself for releasing something that wasn't ready for primetime on the data front. So as a company that prides itself on excellence, that part is an embarrassment and disappointing. However, the original goal was to give customers a much better map experience, and that has been greatly achieved here. We now have multiple options and both are an enormous leap over what we had just a few months ago in iOS5.x

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Free reign? That's not just hyperbole, you are right on. Apple just allowed Google to release one of the most important apps for its phone, in competition with its own 1st party app...

...AND they let Google release API so that all of Apple devs can include google maps in their apps instead of Apple maps.

WTF? That's full on panic mode from apple. Absolutely embarrassing. *****.

Unless Google broke the App Store rules, why wouldn't it be allowed? Apple would have a very hard time justifying rejecting it unless Google violated the terms. The backlash would have been immense. This seems like a reasonable outcome, people can use what they want, Google was even able to put a SDK in place for other apps to tie into it. *Nearly* everyone should be happy (I know, I know ... pipe dream).

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
The app has traffic overlaid on the Map... just swipe two fingers to the left.

can't get that to do anything for me. Am I just misunderstanding what you're saying? When I swipe two fingers to the left it just moves my map to the right. I've tried it SEVERAL times.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The market opened this morning with GOOG way up and AAPL way down seemingly on this news. Reality check, haven't the wireless carriers been reporting a large increase in set-asides for the iPhone 5 selling as good or better than expected? Isn't this sort of data an indication that AAPL will beat estimates on earnings come January?

akf2000

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Seems like a weird business move for Google. Apple was paying them to use Google maps. Google refuses to include turn by turn and Apple drops Google and now releases their own free app with turn by turn. So now they arnt getting paid at all. Unless they plan to monetize the app with ads or something in the future.

Google don't need no STIIINKING Apple money

jayiw

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Anyone know how to get satellite view in Turn by Turn (like the android version)?

Thanks
Jay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.