Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rovio this week announced that it is renaming Rovio Classics: Angry Birds to "Red's First Flight" on the iPhone and the iPad, due to the "impact" that the "Classics" name and title was having on its wider games portfolio.

angry-birds-classic.jpg

Rovio did not go into specifics on how the game is affecting its other titles, but Rovio Classics: Angry Birds is a paid app with no in-app purchases, unlike Angry Birds Friends, Angry Birds Journey, and Angry Birds 2, three other Rovio games that encourage microtransactions. Development resources for the Classic game could be used on other apps that bring in more money.

Customers who go to search for Angry Birds in the App Store will now be encouraged to download one of the newer titles with in-app purchase options rather than shown the paid $0.99 Classics option.

The Angry Birds Classics title will be unlisted from the Google Play Store on Thursday, and it will be renamed on the App Store. Customers who have already paid for and downloaded Rovio Classics: Angry Birds will be able to continue to play it after the app has been unlisted/renamed.

Rovio said that this is "sad news" for fans and the team that worked on Rovio Classics: Angry Birds, but the company hopes fans will transition to its other titles.

Angry Birds is one of the most well-known mobile games, and it has been around since 2009. The franchise has spawned multiple titles, two movies, books, comics, theme park attractions, and merchandise. Rovio Classics: Angry Birds was introduced just about a year ago after Rovio took the time to rebuild it with a new game engine.

Article Link: Rovio Renames Angry Birds Classic on iOS Due to 'Impact' on Wider Games Portfolio

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Yep, I’m sure some 6 year old kid will not like it because it says “classic”.

“What do you mean ‘classic’? Eww…not gonna play that.”

Edit: nevermind, on second read, this is even worse than I thought.

Reactions: coolfactor

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Rovio this week announced that it is renaming Rovio Classics: Angry Birds to "Red's First Flight" on the iPhone and the iPad, due to the "impact" that the "Classics" name and title was having on its wider games portfolio.

Rovio did not go into specifics on how the game is affecting its other titles, but Rovio Classics: Angry Birds is a paid app with no in-app purchases, unlike Angry Birds Friends, Angry Birds Journey, and Angry Birds 2, three other Rovio games that encourage microtransactions. Development resources for the Classic game could be used on other apps that bring in more money.
It's easy to figure out what's happening. It's like with Coke, people prefer the original "Classic" version of Angry Birds because it's a pay once and play as much as you want game whereas the newer games are all based on microtransactions.

Microtransactions = steady revenue stream for Rovio as they get to milk the players

This is no different than how software subscription services suck. Looking at you Adobe.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Sadly I guess this proves the Free-to-play microtransactions model is far more successful than a pay-once model. Going to go buy the classics app now before they decide to pull it altogether…

EDIT: turns out I already bought it and forgot lol
I will not buy MT unless I like the game, and it's something that boosts you forever, but nothing like eggs that you can use for one time boosts. And I definitely miss better games with a one time fee.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
At least they're being honest. Microtransactions have largely ruined the industry.

I wonder if it really is still possible to just sell games, and it's the huge amount of money of microtransactions by comparison that makes it seem like it's not.

I remember a youtube video where someone did the math to show that Valve will never make Half-Life 3. Even if they charged $90 for it and it sold twice as much as HL2, they would still make less money total than they do in a year on DOTA microtransactions.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Sadly I guess this proves the Free-to-play microtransactions model is far more successful than a pay-once model. Going to go buy the classics app now before they decide to pull it altogether…

EDIT: turns out I already bought it and forgot lol
Free-to-play microtransactions are very profitable because they use the same psychological reward system as gambling.

Reactions: JamesHolden

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Microtransactions = steady revenue stream for Rovio as they get to milk the players
That's one way to say it. Another way is: stay in business.

I get that some people are not fans of subscriptions and micro transactions, but I wonder if they (you) appreciate at all that they are what allows you to have the content in the first place.

The usual retort is: Just charge a reasonable 1-time fee. OK. How many people would pay $59.99 for a mobile game? And when they don't, the game fails, nothing else is developed, no updates are issued, and the two people who did buy it are SOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.