royally pissed, my crackbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by techshellmacbook, Jun 12, 2008.

1. techshellmacbook macrumors member

MY macbook has cracked the top keyboard / tappad housing 3 times now, it is going on its 4th repair as of now. I am ROYALLY pissed about this because i have the warranty, but now its going onto the applecare extended warranty and im just sick of this. I got this macbook last feb. and my first macbook had a few dead pixels, decided to return that one and get this one, this one was great, until it decided to go ahead and crack these keyboards.

I dont slam the lid shut either. This is REALLY pissing me off. It is cracking right above the power status LED and its done it in the same place. I LOVE the macbook itslef for the hardware, hate the dang thing for its durability. Hardware seems great, but this quality is sub par. Is there a number i can get for customer relations or something, this is really sad. I love my macbook.

2. Nadasive macrumors 6502

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Man, that sucks.

You can call the standard Apple 800 number and ask for who you want.

They can be tricky though. I've asked to be escalated to a supervisor many times, and all but one time I've been told that they don't have supervisors at Apple.

The one who admitted that they do was quite amused and we had a good laugh about the idea of a company with nothing but employees and no supervisors.

So, depending on who answers your call, you could be in for some fun. But, give it a try and ask for who you want. Hopefully they'll have one...

As for keyboards, I'm not surprised. I actually had one of the regular desktop keyboards that came with my iMac G5 crack on me. It wasn't cracked when I went to bed, but it was cracked when I got up in the morning.

The clear plastic just cracked by itself during the night. Just sitting on the desk.

I think some of their molding processes likely create stress points in the material that eventually just pull themselves apart.

4. asme macrumors regular

When #5 rolls around, call them and ask politely for a replacement unit. Don't go to the genius bar and ask for a replacement, as that comes out of the store's own stock, and the store hates that, call the 800 number. They have a stash of computers that are destined to be replacements for lemon units.

It worked for me, although admittedly I'd had some more logic-board-ey issues.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yeah, the other lemons that got returned and repaired :)

6. asme macrumors regular

Refurbished units are fine because they go through actual quality control, but most often you get a new unit.

7. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Not the refurbs I've gotten. Those weren't even cleaned. They were worse than used. Actually (and quite seriously), I've gotten better looking computers from the land fill.

Sorry, but I don't buy the refurbs get looked at more closely. The last one I got was boxed badly, and was defective when it arrived. Not to mention thoroughly coated in the last owners grime and mud.

I had to thoroughly and heavily scrub it with industrial cleaners to get the grime off of it. Of course, that still didn't get rid of the cracks and chips in the plastic case of the computer or the mouse.

If they looked at it, they had their eyes closed.

I don't think I'll ever go refurb again. Salvation Army's computers look much prettier.

I did eventually get them to fix all the issues with the machine (with more refurb parts). But, it was a fight since Apple claims that (even on new machines) cosmetic issues are not covered under the warranty (even if they arrive cosmetically damaged).

I had to fight that one for months to get it all looking the way it should have. The thing never did quit breaking down though. Repair after repair after repair it just kept dying. They wouldn't replace it. So, I eventually sold it for a loss and considered it a lesson learned about Apple and their thorough refurb process.

Sure, you can get a nice refurb (many do). But, don't expect that it's always going to be good. Just as many refurbs have issues as other machines. Your odds of getting a good one are no better with a refurb. I'd actually say your chances are much better of just inheriting someone else's headache.

8. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yep, I'd say that is a from a weak spot being in a place of stress (palm pressure over weak plastic).

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The previous generation MacBooks had that problem. All you have to do is search any of the Mac Forums including the Apple discussion forums and you will see for yourself. Not sure if the current generation will have that problem since they are only months old.

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Here's a solution:

- find the piece that cracked and came off
    - glue it back; and
    - apply this palm guard
    http://www.moshimonde.com/palmguard.htm

This is a perfect fit, and it will cover the crack.

11. techshellmacbook thread starter macrumors member

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Express your disatisfaction via Apple Support email, and request a new MB. :(

13. mpw Guest

It's pining for it's twin;
    [​IMG]

Also on it's 3rd case and in nee of a 4th! :mad:

Attached Files:

14. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    My refurb was mint in every respect, the one I bought for my wife,arrived 3 days ago, was mint as well. Four of my friends went the refurb way, specifically after seeing my first one,all of theirs were spotless/flawless too.
    I /we just love our BMB's and would do it again in a heartbeat. 6 perfect refurbished BMB's in one area of Florida,all purchased at different times, speaks legions,as to your statement,"I've gotten better laptops from landfills", yeah, ok:rolleyes:

15. Fenir macrumors regular

Hey my macbook has those cracks on both sides.

My nearest Apple store (2 hrs away) wanted $300 to fix it.

And you were pissed with one side cracking. 1st gen macbook here. I politely told that to the Apple store, they didn't seem to care. No luck on a return trip either. :(

16. techshellmacbook thread starter macrumors member

I am getting a call tag, gotta ship this one out, they are shipping me a brand new macbook

17. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Great that you all got good ones. It just needs to be understood that it's not always the case. If you had seen what I saw (and had to clean), you would never buy a refurb from them. The risk just isn't worth it.

Sure, I could clean the grime from them. That just took an hour of heavy scrubbing. But, the physical damage was quite a fight to get fixed since they claimed it was only "cosmetic".

And, yes, I have gotten landfill computers that looked better. I come from a family that will salvage anything. It's just that in recent years, I've gotten enough money to just buy new (and learned not to buy refurbs).

Sure, I could get a nice looking system as a refurb. But, I could also get another beater that needs intensive care. The savings just isn't worth the risk of the battle to me.

Great that you were happy with yours.

The main point of my story, is that fighting to get a system exchanged for a refurb, isn't necessarily going to get you something better. It could be worse.

If they'll give you brand new in exchange, then go for it.

18. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

That's great news. I hope this one works out much better for you.

19. asme macrumors regular

Outstanding. Refund the Applecare and sell your new one.

20. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

I'd chalk his experience (other poster) to a fluke! Many here including myself got their refurbs in new condition and no way could anyone tell they were not new! If I would have received one in the condition he/she described I would be on the phone pronto and tell Apple I want another one or my money back. However, I have found so far dealing with Apple they really do a great job trying to resolve the issue and make you happy. Just got a refurb wireless mouse a month ago (my 2nd one) and this was for my current refurb black book. It was defective on arrival. I called Apple, they said do what you will with it and were sending you a NEW one and sorry for the problem. In just 2 days I received my brand new wireless mouse! I could not be happier with their attempt to resolve this issue. Just saying most receive working refurbs in great condition. Im sure some do not and they should call Apple immediately to resolve it. Apple will work with you!;)

21. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

Mine cracked early last week, and I took it into the Apple Store today. 20 minutes in and out the door. Looks as good as new if not better. I'm certainly hoping it doesn't happen again, and I do feel a genuine difference in the new casing. Hopefully it wil last me for another couple of years.

22. techshellmacbook thread starter macrumors member

Why would i sell it

23. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Awesome, that's the way Apple Customer Service should work. Taking care of their customers. Good onya'! (Make sure you back up everything, that way you can just download from your external hard drive). :p

24. stevin macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I have the exact same problem. Its kind of ridiculous considering I baby this thing like you wouldn't believe... granted its already 1.5 years old *got it last feb*.

SOOO... Its only cracked on one side.. (right above the power led) i've seen a friends have the crack on both sides. It started as a crack.. but now its hanging on by one side.. I'm sure it ill be completely detached like the pictures you've posted in a day or so.

Funny thing is that I would say 70% of the time I have my macbook in my room attached to an external monitor and bluetooth keyboard/mighty mouse combo.. so i def haven't even typed on it all that much.

Can you tell me what exactly you did in order to get a new replacement sent out to you? I picked up applecare before my warranty ran out so I should be well covered :D

Thanks!