Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevin

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I am getting a call tag, gotta ship this one out, they are shipping me a brand new macbook

I guess you guys arent checking this thread anymore :rolleyes:

I don't know how you scored a new macbook but i'll give them a call tomorrow i guess... though i'll probably just end up being told to having it replaced at the genius bar... sigh... would have liked a new lappy

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
This has just happened for the 4th time on my MacBook. Luckily its initial 12 month warranty is up in ten days.

I phoned to complain and I'm getting a 3 month warranty extension plus a "free gift" (who knows what) and a promise of a replacement machine should it happen again.

I don't know what to think to that... I know it's just a cosmetic issue but for it to happen four times in under a year is pretty bad, and puts no confidence in the repair service at all. Least it happened within warranty and I get a new machine should it happen for an incredulous 5th time...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...and a promise of a replacement machine should it happen again...
Get that in writing, I got the same promise over the phone and then when it happened again Apple said they would never make such a promise.:rolleyes:

stevin

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
This has just happened for the 4th time on my MacBook. Luckily its initial 12 month warranty is up in ten days.

I phoned to complain and I'm getting a 3 month warranty extension plus a "free gift" (who knows what) and a promise of a replacement machine should it happen again.

I don't know what to think to that... I know it's just a cosmetic issue but for it to happen four times in under a year is pretty bad, and puts no confidence in the repair service at all. Least it happened within warranty and I get a new machine should it happen for an incredulous 5th time...

let us know what the gift is when you get it!
i'm going to call apple tomorrow

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Get that in writing, I got the same promise over the phone and then when it happened again Apple said they would never make such a promise.:rolleyes:

Yikes. The Customer Service rep gave me their name and direct line, I kicked up a real fuss - I don't think they'd dare try and pull something like that :p

let us know what the gift is when you get it!
i'm going to call apple tomorrow

I was told I could have an accessory (within reason) from the Store but I don't really want anything. Maybe just store credit?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

While perhaps not exactly what you meant, you should notice that being disappointed in the repair service is placing the blame in the wrong place.

The issue is the inferior parts / construction of the parts.

So, the issue is not with the person who performed the repair, but rather with Apple (the manufacturer) who supplied the parts / designed the parts.

So, if you had the repair performed by a local company / service center, they are not really the ones to blame.

Also, I do agree with the other poster, get it in writing, and note the first and last name and date and time of the person you spoke with regarding the promise of future replacement.

I've had representatives at Apple promise to replace my iPod, and then the other representative cancel the replacement, and then the other agree to replace it, to have another cancel it, to have another agree, to have another cancel it.

Finally, after the last person I spoke with who canceled it, I called and got bounced all over the place with everyone (including supervisors) denying the repair or replacement that I had been promised.

I was told that if I did send it in, that I would have it shipped back unrepaired and be billed $100 for the service of evaluating it. No one I spoke with after that would budge.

To be honest, I've never gotten any useful service out of Apple directly though. All I've ever gotten from Apple computer is the run around.

But, I have gotten absolutely stellar service from the local service centers (Which are independently owned). If it wasn't for them, I'd have an awful lot of dead Apple stuff sitting around the house. Fortunately, in every case that Apple denied, the local service center agreed to perform the repair themselves and bill Apple (as opposed to me sending it to Apple - which Apple refused to allow since they were denying repair).

And, yes, those situations were all with machines and accessories / iPods that were only a month or so old (or less) and also had the full 3-year AppleCare contract purchased (2-year AppleCare in the case of the iPod).

Actually, the iPod was brand new when Apple was denying to even look at it.

One of the Mac machines was denied on the day I received it - Broken (fortunately the local service center stepped up and performed the repairs).

Well, actually, I do take it back. Apple (directly) has honored repair on one item directly. They did replace a mouse that failed to work properly (sticky clicker).

But, for that one that they honored, some of what they denied included:

Cracked keyboard - Broke on it's own

Burned / etched LCD screen (because the iMac overheated and cooked the screen image into the plastic of the screen). The service tech was amazed at that one when he saw it.

Damaged case (for a machine that arrived damaged).

Replacement for my power supply that went up in smoke (literally) for the iMac G5 when they knew of the issue / bad batch which caused them to fail (remember the recall on those). Local service center got it fixed for me instead.

Failing backlight for another iMac G5 system's screen

Failed Ethernet port on a machine the day it arrived

iPod Nano which arrived with physical damage / imperfections.

The replacement battery I was promised for an iBook due to the fire recall issue (they cancelled the replacement without telling me).

A failing SuperDrive

And lots of other stuff.

But, the Mouse they replaced.

Fortunately, where Apple (as in Apple the company) failed to honor their own warranties, the local service center (independently owned) handled the repairs for me without issue.

I won't even bother dealing with Apple anymore for repairs.

The sad thing, is that none of my other computers from other manufacturers have ever died or had a failure requiring service.

So, my absolute only warranty experiences are with Apple. And, sadly, they have failed on every attempt.

If it wasn't for independent shops willing to make their own assessments, and perform the repairs, then I'd stay as far away from Apple's computers as possible. If it wasn't for the local shops, they just wouldn't be worth the risk for me.

Fortunately, the local independent shops come through every time for me (at least the ones around here - can't speak for others). So, it takes some of the gamble away.

And, for some of the small stuff, I've started buying it at a grocery store (like iPods). Then, I can return them up to 30 days later for any reason I choose. Far better than if I receive a dud with Apple. If there's any physical damage, I just take it back to the store. Apple denies anything with "cosmetic" issues and instead insists that I did it.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Yikes. The Customer Service rep gave me their name and direct line, I kicked up a real fuss - I don't think they'd dare try and pull something like that :p

I was told I could have an accessory (within reason) from the Store but I don't really want anything. Maybe just store credit?

A credit would be a good option. Otherwise, pick something that you think would be an easy sale (as in something in demand). Let them send it to you, then sell it here for a few bucks.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
While perhaps not exactly what you meant, you should notice that being disappointed in the repair service is placing the blame in the wrong place.

The issue is the inferior parts / construction of the parts.

Yeah, that is actually what I meant. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

stevin

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah, that is actually what I meant. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

so there is little chance that i'll get them to send me a new macbook if this is the first time its chipped right?

mind you i've only opened and close it a couple hundred times max in the year i've owned it

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
so there is little chance that i'll get them to send me a new macbook if this is the first time its chipped right?

mind you i've only opened and close it a couple hundred times max in the year i've owned it

No, they'll repair it especially as it's just an external issue. The only reason I pushed for a replacement is it happened so many damn times and it's now on the brink of warranty.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
No, they'll repair it especially as it's just an external issue. The only reason I pushed for a replacement is it happened so many damn times and it's now on the brink of warranty.

You know, if I was in your position, I'd buy AppleCare for that replacement machine.

It would literally terrify me the idea of getting a totally unknown machine right at the near end of my warranty period.

My concern would be that the new machine may have some unknown issues that may need worked out. The one you have now has a known history. And, you could probably be certain that it's only issue is likely to be weak plastic. The new one may have some main board issues or something like that come up and surprise you.

I would be a lot more comfortable with the extended warranty on that machine than starting over with a new machine and nearly no warranty.

The new one may exhibit a few issues after a couple of months, and then you might be stuck.

I think it's probably worth getting the AppleCare warranty for that one.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
You know, if I was in your position, I'd buy AppleCare for that replacement machine.

It would literally terrify me the idea of getting a totally unknown machine right at the near end of my warranty period.

My concern would be that the new machine may have some unknown issues that may need worked out. The one you have now has a known history. And, you could probably be certain that it's only issue is likely to be weak plastic. The new one may have some main board issues or something like that come up and surprise you.

I would be a lot more comfortable with the extended warranty on that machine than starting over with a new machine and nearly no warranty.

The new one may exhibit a few issues after a couple of months, and then you might be stuck.

I think it's probably worth getting the AppleCare warranty for that one.

Definitely. But "hopefully" on this 5th occasion my trusty MacBook will never exhibit this issue again.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Definitely. But "hopefully" on this 5th occasion my trusty MacBook will never exhibit this issue again.

Yes, I hope so as well. Make sure find out whether you need to get the AppleCare before the original warranty expires or before the new 3-month warranty expires. That could be a touchy one.

John01021988

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
Mines @ the apple store right now, hopefully they will give it back tomorrow. Stupid Hairline cracks....... My Lower case was full of them, but not anymore :p

DarkFlame

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Same issue here, right above the power led. And I got my macbook in February of this year! Didn't buy applecare, but I shouldnt need it right?

two more questions:

1. Anyone else feel a genuine difference in their replacement casing? I am going to replace it no matter what but I was just curious.
2. Do they mend the specific area where there is the crack? Or do they just replace that matte top piece over the keyboard, or do they actually replace the entire exterior?

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...1. Anyone else feel a genuine difference in their replacement casing?...
...2. Do they mend the specific area where there is the crack?...
Based on my experience you'll get a new 'lower case'; the matt palm rest that is cracked, new keyboard/trackpad.

But it's no different to the original, which is why so many people are on 3rd/4th replacements.

oligore

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
Even though the case is not that durable to cracks it sure can protect the hardware. I dropped mine onto concrete from 1.2m and it escaped only with a bung hinge which broke due to the plastic cracking.

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
Based on my experience you'll get a new 'lower case'; the matt palm rest that is cracked, new keyboard/trackpad.

But it's no different to the original, which is why so many people are on 3rd/4th replacements.

It may be wishful thinking, but mine feels a little more sturdy, like there's less give when I push down a bit on the palm rest. Of course, it could just be me.

Fontenette Yo!

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2008
San Antonio, TX
One way to keep this from happening is to use a mouse. Keeping your wrist on the frame of the Macbook while using the touch pad is what causes the stress to the structure.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Maybe, call me crazy, but maybe just try and ease off on the palm rest a bit. My MacBook is 2 years old and it doesn't have a single crack. And yes, I use it every day.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Maybe, call me crazy, but maybe just try and ease off on the palm rest a bit. My MacBook is 2 years old and it doesn't have a single crack. And yes, I use it every day.

I have big hands though, and you know what they say ;);I imagine you have little hands, soft like a lady's:p

stevin

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
One way to keep this from happening is to use a mouse. Keeping your wrist on the frame of the Macbook while using the touch pad is what causes the stress to the structure.

I hate to be the guy that responds like this but.... ITS A LAPTOP... You buy them so that you can use them on your lap (or wherever else you want) and are made to not need a mouse!

That being said. Like I said earlier. My macbook is about 1.5 years old and I can easily say that about 95% of its usage has been with it closed.. hooked up to my monitor... and to a bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse.

Butttt... it still cracked.
I haven't called apple today, but I'll get on that. Was hoping they'd replace the whole thing, but if they replace the keyboard and trackpad I'd be just as happy.. I like fresh things!

DarkFlame

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Anyone know how long apple keeps your macbook for when it is cracked like this? I'm dreading taking it in cause I have nothing else to use for the next two months. I'll prob just take it in september, I bought it last feb with no applecare

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.