Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new rumor claims that a future iPad Pro may feature a horizontal camera layout and a landscape Apple logo on the back, as part of a supposed push from Apple to promote usage of the iPad Pro in landscape orientation, rather than portrait.

iPad-Pro-Orange-Feature.jpg

The rumor originating from Dylandkt claims that a future version of the iPad Pro will include a horizontal camera layout and a landscape Apple logo on the back. Dylandkt, whose track record is yet to be fully established regarding a plethora of past information about upcoming Macs, said they can't fully state when these design changes will be released but said it is "in the works."

Apple in recent years has started to promote its higher-end iPad Pro as a near laptop replacement when equipped with a keyboard. Currently, the logo on the back of the Magic Keyboard is in landscape, so Apple may simply want to bring the iPad Pro itself to more parity with its accessories. Additionally, the startup Apple logo shown on iPadOS is also now in landscape.

Bloomberg has reported that the 2022 iPad Pro will feature an updated glass back which could enable reverse wireless charging for devices such as the iPhone or AirPods, as well as wireless charging for the iPad Pro itself. Apple last updated the iPad Pro this past April with the M1 chip and a 12.9-inch mini-LED display, but the iPad Pro's design has not changed since its significant redesign in 2018.

Down the road, Apple is aiming to further blur the lines between the iPad and a laptop and is reportedly exploring sizes more extensive than the current 12.9-inch footprint to do so. The future of the iPad remains largely murky, mainly due to Apple's decision to implement the M1 chip, designed for Apple silicon Macs, into the iPad Pro and what it means for the future of the product category.

Article Link: Rumor Claims iPad Pro With Horizontal Cameras and Landscape Apple Logo in the Works

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: DeepIn2U

MacFan23

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
as part of a supposed push from Apple to promote usage of the ‌iPad Pro‌ in landscape orientation, rather than portrait.

I don't think this is really necessary..

AlexESP

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
I think it would be a mistake. Everyone assumes landscape is the default orientation, and placing the cam and logo in portrait shows the versatility of the iPad. Besides that, it would be hard to implement, with the pencil area in that same space.

• Haha
Reactions: calstanford

James Godfrey

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2011
Mmmm… the main thing that needs switching to landscape is the front facing camera… but that won’t be done until they can move the Apple pencil connection to what is currently the top of the device, which would mean it would ultimately cover the speakers.

The rear camera and logo being in landscape makes sense but can’t see it happening until Apple works out a way of moving the front facing camera also…

Reactions: BillyiPad95

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I know everyone is laughing at Apple’s potential “courageous” decision here lol, but this actually sounds kinda cool. Despite being a very minor switch, it would definitely make a difference.

I’m curious to see what comes of this since I REALLY want an iPad Pro redesign. Approaching 3 years with my 2018 model.

Seeing a material other than aluminum on the back would be awesome.

TracerAnalog

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
iPadOS is the problem, at least for me. There should be an option to select a ‘laptop’ mode that gives the user more MacOS features. Not necessarily full MacOS (one can dream…) but certain features should adapt to keyboard/trackpad/mouse use and give us better file handling and multitasking. The latter has improved, but (for example) I’m never sure if some action will continue in the background if I switch apps, like moving files to and from my network server.

MallardDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Anyone hoping the front facing camera is going to be moved also is going to be waiting a while, centre stage is 100% apples workaround to the issue of the cameras being on the side in landscape.
It doesn’t work worth a darn. I’m always off center, and faceid in landscape mode is a 50/50 success rate at best. And both those assume that my hand isn’t over the camera!

Reactions: Reggiebaldwin

UltimateSyn

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
“Additionally, the startup Apple logo shown on iPadOS is also now in landscape.”

I’m 99% sure this isn’t true. It’s just matched to the orientation of the tablet upon startup now (so yes, it will be in landscape if it’s on the Magic Keyboard, but that distinction is not clear in the writing).

Jim Lahey

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
They might want to fix the preposterous sidebar in iPadOS 15 Safari if they are imagining anyone might be brazen enough to use their iPad in landscape 🤔

Mr Lizard

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2006
London, UK
“The future of the ‌iPad‌ remains largely murky, mainly due to Apple's decision to implement the ‌M1‌ chip”

It’s only murky to pundits on the outside who don’t know Apple’s plans, which are usually 3-5 years ahead of what they actually ship.

The decision to put M1 in iPad was not an accident. It’s there to support Apple’s intentions for the product line for years to come.

James Godfrey

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2011
I think Apple keeping all the cameras in portrait year after year is their way of marketing the iPad as being primarily a tablet which can also be used as a laptop when the need arises.

Reactions: BillyiPad95
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.