Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Dumbest idea ever.

I’ve lived with chronic anxiety and panic disorder for 20 years and the LAST thing I need to think about ALL DAY is looking to see if I’m gonna have a panic attack.

The feature isn’t for you. The feature is for people like my 35 year old roommate who thought he was having a heart attack, but his Watch 4 only showed a high heart rate, nothing else. If the watch instead could have told him he was having a panic attack, and then help him with deep breathing, it could have saved him the cost of an emergency room visit

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I mean do you normally piss your pants on a plane without a panic attack? Pissing pants is usually a symptom of something. Unless you were just cold and wanted some warmth
Well, I usually only piss my pants on airplanes. And hockey games. But I thought the latter was due to my friends giving me too much alcohol. Or maybe it’s due to a panic attack. Only Apple Watch will know...

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
The amount of people in the comments speaking about "panic attacks" (even making fun of them) without obviously knowing what an actual panic attack is is too. damn. high.

[automerge]1588993130[/automerge]
Dumbest idea ever.

I’ve lived with chronic anxiety and panic disorder for 20 years and the LAST thing I need to think about ALL DAY is looking to see if I’m gonna have a panic attack.

You have it backwards.

You don't look all day whether you have one. Your watch INFORMS you when you're about to get one.

People don't seem to know there are actual service dogs trained to do specifically that! If you know you're about to have a panic attack, you can try beating it with coping mechanisms....
[automerge]1588993268[/automerge]
The feature isn’t for you. The feature is for people like my 35 year old roommate who thought he was having a heart attack, but his Watch 4 only showed a high heart rate, nothing else. If the watch instead could have told him he was having a panic attack, and then help him with deep breathing, it could have saved him the cost of an emergency room visit

THIS!

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
It would be better to detect an oncoming seizure.

So now we have false fall detection false heart rate warnings and now false panic warnings.

Reactions: nt5672 and Saludos

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
I only had a couple episodes of what might have been the beginning of a panic attack. This was at very deep depths scuba diving many years ago. I was able to work it out a remain calm, learn from the experience but I really did not need a watch to tell me what was happening, it’s very apparent.

My daughter gets frequent panic attacks and she can tell when their starting as well...So I’m curious why this feature is necessary for most of us that know what the onset looks like.

I’m waiting for the O2 sensor, all over it for high altitude hiking.

Reactions: Lazy

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
So I’m curious why this feature is necessary for most of us that know what the onset looks like.

A panic attack can represent in many many different ways. It can mimic things like heart attacks and people end up in the ER because of that.

Knowing you're NOT having a heart attack? Majorly important.

And I would challenge you on the claim that many if not most people with panic attacks know what the onset looks like. That might be the case for you and your daughter, but certainly is not the case for many many people.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Apple has been using a plethysmograph to detect heart rate since series 0 on the Apple watch. This can technically measure oxygen level as well. This means that this feature can likely come to all watches.

To quote iFixit:
Apple’s heart rate monitor is actually a plethysmograph that looks and acts like a pulse oximeter, but Apple isn’t claiming it can measure your blood oxygen level.

Source: https://www.ifixit.com/News/7158/apple-watch-teardown-2
I’d love if at least S4/5 got it, if only so I don’t have to buy another Hermes watch so soon...

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Something like this combined with a glucose monitor would make the Apple Watch almost invaluable as a health monitoring device, even if you aren’t into wearing watches.

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
As someone who has panic attacks from time to time, I’m just not sure what benefit this would have for me.

• Disagree
Reactions: AppleFr3ak

Jury

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2020
The watchOS 7 is likely to have some redesign in home screen as well.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
People still think I'm crazy for putting tape on the cameras.
I think you are. Really. Read a book by Marc Goodman called “future crimes” and you’ll see how pointless it is to do that. If a hacker (or the government) wants to get into your business, tape on a camera isn’t gonna do anything.

I mean crap...the iPhone has what. 4 cameras on it now? Do you put tape on all of them? And then disconnect the microphone? Remember it’s not just them seeing you. Hearing you and recording you is just as good to them. What about grocery cards? Points? Credit cards? There was a huge hack at target (and Safeway among others) that compromised a ton of personal information.

unless you live in a faraday cage in the woods with no connection to people what so ever, yeah. Tape on your camera is security theater. It’s to make you feel better but doesn’t do a damn thing

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Dumbest idea ever.

Exactly! Just like how I have to constantly think about having a heart attack now that there is a heart monitor on my watch s/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.