Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
The next-generation version of the Apple Watch, the Apple Watch Series 6, has been rumored to include a blood oxygen sensor, which Prosser says Apple will take advantage of to implement new mental health-related features, such as detecting panic attacks.

I wonder what happens if your Watch diagnoses a close friend as psychotic ? Maybe with Continuity ( TM ) your iPhone will display this :

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 4.26.15 PM.png

mactracker75

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2014
Astoria, Queens NY
I would love this capability and hope it's true. I have suffered from panic attacks for years and once landed in the emergency room because they thought it could be a heart attack. The symptoms, if the attack is severe enough, closely mimic it. So having this to confirm it's just another attack is enough to snap me out of worry that it may be something more severe.

I have a pulse oximeter that I'll fire up if one hits me while home and that helps. Having it on a watch would make it a lot more practical. Would love to see this happen.

AussieStu

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Im sure this will be another feature like ECG etc that isnt enabled on the watch here in Australia. We pay more for less.
Even when we have a Apple Watch 6 is released, its basically no different to Apple Watch 3 for us.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Im sure this will be another feature like ECG etc that isnt enabled on the watch here in Australia. We pay more for less.
Even when we have a Apple Watch 6 is released, its basically no different to Apple Watch 3 for us.

Sorry, what? You still get tons of new features like the Always-On Display.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
This.

As much as I love how Apple Watch is becoming, most of its health features ended up being US only (and maybe Canada/UK). Many countries don't even get the irregular heart beat detection, let alone ECG and other stuff. It's unfortunate, although I understand the regulatory issues.

• Sad
Reactions: Mazza Bing Ding

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm glad to see this. It's been ignored for decades but mental wellbeing is just as important as physical fitness.

I hope that Apple recognizes this fully by adding another "ring" to the Apple Watch activity rings. A green dot at the centre, representing the Breath app. Having a 5-10 minute break in your day to breath and meditate can be really transformational for your overall health.

IMG_8743.JPG

The Breath app itself is overdue for an update. It does what it does well, but it could use a few meditation options like a guided body scan and walking meditations.

finisterre

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Blood oxygen monitoring is useful for diagnosing Covid-19. Many of those infected have decreasing blood oxygen levels and don't know it until too late.

Also good for diagnosing sleep apnea.

I'll get one if it has this.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Blood oxygen monitoring is useful for diagnosing Covid-19. Many of those infected have decreasing blood oxygen levels and don't know it until too late.

Also good for diagnosing sleep apnea.

I'll get one if it has this.

This is correct. So, you would think that if, as rumoured, current Apple Watches out in use were capable of measuring blood oxygen that Apple would've released an emergency update to at least measure changes in the blood, if not accurate number readings, prompting the user to examine other possible COVID-19 symptoms.

It's very likely that the pulse oximeter function and related features will be exclusive to the new Series 6.

Reactions: Mazza Bing Ding

Mazza Bing Ding

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2020
Due to health issues I mentioned on another thread, I’m really hoping for a blood oxygen monitor. You can derive a lot from having that information.

I’m (perhaps stupidly) holding off on buying a standalone blood oxygen monitor in the hope the next revision of the Apple Watch has one built in.

Same situation here. I was just about to buy one. now I'm holding off until the fall to see. If not unveiled I'll buy either Series 5 or 6.
[automerge]1589464674[/automerge]
I think its a good feature. Today, I was assisting a customer over the phone and they snapped at me I should stop interrupting them. Immediately my head started to tighten, I could feel my heart race and my breathing decreased. When I finished the call, I was so livid from the customers behaviour. Then I felt the vibration on my risk, it said 'take a moment to relax and breathe to reduce stress'. I was so amazed and impressed that it actually felt my emotions. Thats exactly what I did to bring back some peace and calm and I was able focus on the next call with no issue.

It is so clear there are so many beneficial outcomes if the next Apple Watch this Fall, has these features!
[automerge]1589465056[/automerge]
This would be great- after Siri could open maps and direct you to a safe space!

Very true! I think speculation is e.g. if you are driving it will recommend you pull over and provide exercises to calm you down to avoid any car crashes, putting yourself, and others at risk. Perhaps, if you are right, it would be AMAZING if Siri could open Maps to help too.

Last edited:

Robrogan

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
If it could accurately measure blood oxygen levels up to Apple's standards, why wouldn't it have been included as a previous feature given the health value of that kind of capability? Could be that it's not accurate enough in older sensors, or there's been an FDA restriction. Either way, I don't know enough to say confidently which Apple Watch models will get that support.

Yes, it would not be accurate. This Wirecutter article gives a high-level review about what's on the market today and why, even the expensive ones just aren't that accurate: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/coronavirus-pulse-oximeter/

Apple is currently relying on the surface of your wrist. Even though this method using light isn't the best, it should ideally be done when you have the light pass through (e.g. tip of a finger). So measuring a round-trip bounce off the wrist is going to be even lower fidelity than than a straight shot through. Again, even if we had a little finger clip, that still doesn't compare to what you'd get in the hospital if this was actually important to measure.

Lastly... and then I'll just let people click through the link above, an interesting point was that it's not really a useful data point. Even where you think it could be its most useful – keeping an eye on someone diagnosed with COVID-19 – it's just a fuzzy estimate. Then in all the other times you don't have a terrible respiratory condition, it's extra-pointless. At least HR or BP could reflect your fitness progress for example.

Haha I sound like I'm against updates such as this, but to be totally honest I'm a sucker for quantified self and would enjoy seeing this blood ox measurement in my watch. I just want to help other people be aware that it's not gonna be super accurate and most definitely not reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.