Rumor...iPhone 5 will only work with AT&T 4G network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wxman2003, Jun 9, 2011.

1. wxman2003 Suspended

2. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

The reason behind this is because the chip in the Verizon iPhone 4 can already support HSPA+ (though it's not enabled), but not LTE. LTE support would require a significant re-design of the interior, if my memory is correct, due to the size of the chip. LTE chips that will fit within the interior architecture of the iPhone won’t be out until next year.

At least that was the speculation that I have read thus far. Take it with a grain of salt, as it is all speculation.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

What about those of us who live in Canada and will be using an iPhone 5 GSM? We don't have real 4G yet so that wouldn't make any sense. Unless you're referring to JUST the ATT iPhone 5 4G only and not the GSM iPhone 5 working on 4G only.

4. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

AT&T's "4G" network is simply faster 3G. Verizon has a real 4G network that will only be supported when the iPhone gets an LTE chip. So 4G on AT&T and 3G on Verizon are essentially the same thing.

5. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

yep and this is how att will screw people out of unlimited data plans. you will have to drop it to get iphone 5 with "4g" data

6. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

This is going to be a marketing field day for ATT. And I'm sure most people will fall for it.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It sounds like you're trying to say that the iPhone 5 won't support AT&T 3G network. That's not what the article says at all.

If that's not what you meant you should re-write your post to be more clear.

8. stewart715 macrumors 6502

I agree with that kind of -- While AT&T's '4G' is just a faster 3G network, it will be significantly faster than Verizon's 3G network. In most cases, where you can get a clear AT&T signal, their 3G service is faster than Verizon's 3G.

However, Verizon's 4G is blow away faster than AT&T's.

9. wxman2003 thread starter Suspended

Indeed. I can see the commercials now. Exact same phones, side by side downloading a video and AT&T asking which network you would choose.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

AT&T does not have 4G. End of that argument. It is very fast 3G and its title does not make it more or less quality none the less AT&T will have a field day with this which may actually be good for them. I did not expect the iPhone 5 to have LTE so this does not come as a shocker. If it does have LTE then great but verizons LTE coverage is not good enough yet. Besides when they start rolling out LTE on other frequencies than 700mhz (possibly 1700 and/or 1900mhz) exisiting devices will not support it. Having introduced the iPhone 3G once AT&T had better 3G coverage I think they will do the same with the iPhone 5 and 4G. Plus the European's are still figuring out which frequencies to deploy LTE on. Let all the carriers mature their LTE networks so Apple can say "Ok we need quad band UMTS but we need Quad band LTE support X frequencies for use world wide". Making an iPhone with LTE in 700mhz only would be very stupid and just show how much Americans think the world revolves around them.

11. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

No Verizon doesn't. LTE is not true 4G either just faster than HSPA+.
    Don't expect LTE iPhone until next year until chips are up to Apple standards along with battery life.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

In all fairness, Verizon's LTE network isn't "real" 4G either. ;)
    It's only slightly faster than 21Mbps HSPA+, and that is if you have a perfect signal.
    Get on a loaded network and all bets are off.
    Real world tests shows Verizon's LTE network is running average speeds of 12Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

AT&T's LTE lab tests are impressive. Let's hope it translates to the real world better than Verizon's did.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...LTE_speed_at_double_Verizon_s_advertised_rate
    Based on this article, we have some insight as to what AT&T would like to do with T-Mobile's 1700Mhz band. Re purpose it for MIMO support.

LTE Advanced is "real" 4G. Something neither network will have in this decade.

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, I got a question. All this arguing over what is "real 4G"... so what is the definition of 4G (I'm guess it has to have at least a certain speed? Or does it use a certain technology that AT&T and Verizon's "4G" doesn't use. And does it have a definition of how much load it can take while keeping a certain speed)?

14. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

This thread is completely irrelevant. It's too soon to be comparing or even speculating.

15. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

No Verizons LTE is 4G as far as I'm concerned. If its not 4G then we can argue EDGE was 3G or EvDO was only 2.5G. There is so much open to interpretation but as far as technology do not label your HSPA as 3G then start calling it 4G because you don't have the resources to roll out a true high speed network. Verizons LTE is not "a little better then HSPA+" and even on a loaded network it will still be faster. Verizon's fiber network is what will make it better because they can provide backhaul like no other. In fact they often provide backhaul for other carriers! The 700Mhz band also propagates allot better than 1900 or even 850 HSPA+ meaning you can get "more" of the signal. Have you not seen some of these speed tests clocking 35+MBs on both uplink and downlink?

16. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Just because you want to believe it is 4G doesn't mean it really is.
    AT&T/Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile just decided to spin their updated networks as 4G. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4g

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wouldn't be surprised because AT&T's 4G and Verizon's 4G networks are not equal. I believe the LTE network that Verizon has uses more power than AT&T's HSPA+ network.

I hope we can disable 4G HSPA+ if we chose to because for some reason, AT&T 3G out performs it's "4G" network in my area.

18. cynics macrumors G3

Lets not forget that the IUT changed the requirements of 4G, so whether we like it or not HSPA+ is 4G.

Also keep in mind ATT has there own LTE network while the overall coverage isn't as good its speed rivals Verizon's LTE network. I've seen 71 MB down on Verizon speed test and 66 MB down on ATT speed test. Its just going to vary on location and how crowded the network is.

I think if we don't see a Verizon LTE iPhone we won't see an ATT LTE iPhone as it will still be HSPA+ and considered 4G. Unless there is some sort of contract between ATT and Apple that allows them exclusive rights for a certain amount of time. And in that case Verizon won't get the new iPhone at all until this time period has elapsed not some none LTE model.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL yeah ok. But I think the OP doesn't quite understand the article.

20. cynics macrumors G3

And if you look at the date of that article it says June 11.

So they were accurate in there assessment AT&T iPhone will be faster (4s) but incorrect with its name.

21. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

Of course predictions were common that the last iPhone would be the '5'.

I was tricked into thinking that someone would think that Apple would skip LTE again this year, even after a LTE capable iPad. Then I saw the date.

22. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

23. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

And you can bet the house on that! Apple has no choice. I don't believe for a second it won't be 4G across all networks.

24. cooljapra macrumors newbie

25. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

The LTE chip already exists and will be in production in the next few months - the MDM9615.