[rumor] iphone 6s's benchmark, new resolution leaked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Logiarius, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Logiarius, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015

Logiarius macrumors newbie

upload_2015-9-7_11-10-49.png

http://wccftech.com/iphone-6s-benchmark-resolution-details-leaked-future-hardware-stand-chance/

http://passport.weibo.com/visitor/visitor?entry=miniblog&a=enter&url=http://weibo.com/206800072?from=profile&wvr=6&domain=.weibo.com&sudaref=http://wccftech.com/iphone-6s-benchmark-resolution-details-leaked-future-hardware-stand-chance/&ua=php-sso_sdk_client-0.6.14&_rand=1441592662.4504#_rnd1441547653251

Ok, so according to chinese leakers the iphone 6s's resolution is 2000*1125 (488ppi) and 2208*1242 (460ppi).

This makes some sense and quite plausible. Because after all, iphone 6's app is programed on 'point resolution' of 667*375, then upscaling it twice to 1334*750.

On the otherhand, iphone 6+'s app is programed on point resolution of 736 * 414. Then the developer multiply the point resolution 3 times making it 2208 * 1242 and then downscaling it to 1920 * 1080.

Now, if apple decided to make iphone 6s's point resolution same as iphone 6 and then multiply it to three times (like in iphone 6+), the final resolution will become 2001*1125, which is damn similar to the rumored resolution of 2000*1125. Therefore, even if the resolution is changed, there will be almost no fragmentation (developers just have to change the number 2x to 3X, and their iphone 6 app will be optimized to iphone 6s)

And if apple decided to not downscale anymore on plus model, the iphone 6s+'s resolution will become 2208*1242 as it should be.

upload_2015-9-7_11-20-11.png

Also, the new A9 chip's benchmark is also leaked by these chinese leakers.

Single core : 2248
    multi core : 4036
    Ram : 2GB
    clock speed : 1.8Ghz
    Dual core architecture.

Now I'm not gonna say this is correct (so I will put a rumor tag in front of thread title), and benchmark can be easily fabricated so don't trust this completely.
    But, I can say that there are some plausible thing about this rumor and have some worth looking to it.

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

We're going to find out all about it in a few days anyway.

3. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

First I've heard of the increased resolution of the new phones, but it would be a welcome change. :apple:

4. AppleCaked, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  5. batting1000 macrumors 604

That Geekbench result doesn't exit...can't find it.

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Seems weird that the 6s would have a higher PPI than the 6s+. I would like for the resolution to increase, but I think there's a slim chance of that happening this year.

7. HighTechToid macrumors member

HighTechToid

I'm hoping that's fake if for no other other reason than it's the first rumor in a while I've seen that says dual core instead of triple core. I want apple to very much retire the dual core.

8. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

Not necessarily. If, for instance, they were to both have screens of the same resolution, then the smaller screen would obviously have to be of higher pixel density.

9. Girder_Shade macrumors member

Girder_Shade

What day/time is the actual announcement and where can I watch it?

10. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Yes, you're right. I meant that it would be weird if Apple allowed the plus to have a lower PPI than the regular iPhone.

11. Andres Cantu, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I do too, but if they really reached 4,000 in Geekbench with only two cores, then I can imagine that an A9X could reach 6,000 with three cores.

Also, that single-core score is really good. Hopefully they're real.

12. Logiarius thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree. Single core score that exceed 2000 is really great. Also I heard that A9 chip can be quadcore that uses big-LITTLE architecture. This means that when you don't use your phone or just using simple task such as text message, it will use a power effecient dual core processor that has lower clock speed.
    But when the user start using advanced feature such as web browsing and gaming, the chip will switch to other dual core processor which has much higher clock speed but power hungry.

This architecture can give benefit to battery life (of course, if iphone 6s use big LITTLE architecture in a first place)

13. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

...have you seen the homepage of MacRumors? Or perhaps Apple.com?

14. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Higher res could maybe explain the new motion wallpapers being exclusive to the "s" models (exclusive to show off the higher res maybe?) Since there is no other real reason why that would be. (Definitely not a power issue, the Apple Watch is roughly the same power as the A5 in the 4s and can that handle it.)

15. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

So if the A9X is a tri core variant that scales equally like the A8X to the A8; we will be seeing an iPad outperform a MacBook Air current gen CPU wise! Definitely time to make a pro iPad haha Also time to bring over the ARM based socs to MacBooks. Make a cheap MacBook with a non retina display, standard non PCIe SSD (64,128 and 256), 4GB of RAM (upgradable to 8) and an A9X CPU. Limited to OS X (no Bootcamp support) and all major apps would be rewritten for ARM; but this would be priced at 500-600 pounds so is for the average consumer who may already have an iPhone or iPad; but not a MacBook because they are not in the target audience of one.

16. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Almost certainly a fake/not true rumor.
    Why? Because Apple does not care what others are doing except for screen size.
    They know that there really is no benefit of going beyond retina quality, and it only eats battery and hinders performance. They know that resolution is the 4th most important factor in determining perceived image quality....contrast ratio, color accuracy, viewing angles, dynamic range, etc are all more important. Their screens are very high quality and I still think better than anything else out there.

Also nothing as significant as higher resolutions would be possible to keep secret in this day and age. There really aren't any more surprises, so I'm filing this one away as a 1% chance of coming true.

17. Girder_Shade macrumors member

Girder_Shade

Lol I go straight to these forums but you have a good point

18. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I hope the rumour is fake. More ppi could affect battery life and performances.

19. HighTechToid macrumors member

HighTechToid

The only reason I'm a little skeptical of this rumor is because I don't know if apple would make a resolution jump after only having their last resolution jump be a year old. There's still apps that haven't updated to 1080p.

Personally I would like to see them finally switch to Oled displays seeing as how Jony said that the apple watch wallpapers wouldn't look right on an LCD display since Black's would mostly appear gray. Hopefully their having motion wallpapers means a switch in display, which would look nicer and be more battery efficient.

20. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

21. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Can someone explain to me why higher resolution is needed if it's a "retina" screen?

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Smaller battery and higher resolution? Don't buy it

23. Jsameds macrumors 68030

That would put the graph here. It's possible but I personally feel the gradient is too high from 6 to 6S and we'll see slightly lower (but not vastly different) scores in the coming weeks.

Untitled.png

24. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

The gradient isn't too high from 6 to 6s in your chart. The 5 to 5s was double the speed, making that jump much higher than what's shown for the 6 to 6s.

25. Girder_Shade macrumors member

Girder_Shade

You do realize that retina display is just a marketing term right?