Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
The gradient isn't too high from 6 to 6s in your chart. The 5 to 5s was double the speed, making that jump much higher than what's shown for the 6 to 6s.

True. They could just open another core like they did with the Air 2 to give a huge boost in the multi-core score.

My other post was my inner Apple pessimist talking. I've learned not to get myself too hyped up for Apple events over recent years, all that was happening was I was being underwhelmed, so I tend to lower my expectations for these kinds of things. Don't get me wrong, I want to see these kind of benchmarks, but I'll sit in my little pessimist mode until they are confirmed haha :D

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
If those Geekbench scores are real then it's bye-bye Exynos. It's just paving the road for Apple to make their own x86 chip and start putting them in Macs.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Can someone explain to me why higher resolution is needed if it's a "retina" screen?

Retina means you can't see the pixels at normal viewing distance.

Thing is though, this doesn't really matter - and we all (well nearly all) fell for it. Reason being if you increase screen resolution beyond that of "retina" - the image on the display will in fact appears smoother and sharper, despite you not being able to see the pixels.

To be fair though, it's a law of diminishing returns and it's all about compromise. You can produce higher res screens that will give you a better image, but is it worth it? Is it worth sacrificing battery life, load times and general phone performance for slightly smoother text?

I don't think it is. You need to drive around 4x the pixels to produce a marginally better image. I'd personally rather have the better all round performance. So while I feel Apple got it right, I don't think they executed it in quite the correct manner.

Last edited:

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
It doesn't seem to be in line with other rumors. So far we heard that there will be a smaller battery and no oled/mled display. How should the 6S maintain its current battery life with such a high resolution display? This move makes more sense on the 6S Plus than on the 6S. The 6Plus is already rendering this resolution and if Apple would get rid of the downscaling (potential lag/gpu usage), this would be great.

Reactions: gCloud

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Apple told me that retina display is as sharp as my eye can distinguish at normal viewing distance. So what's the need for higher resolution?

Logiarius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2015
It doesn't seem to be in line with other rumors. So far we heard that there will be a smaller battery and no oled/mled display. How should the 6S maintain its current battery life with such a high resolution display? This move makes more sense on the 6S Plus than on the 6S. The 6Plus is already rendering this resolution and if Apple would get rid of the downscaling (potential lag/gpu usage), this would be great.

According to rumor, A9 chip is made from 14nm architecture which is lot smaller than its predecessor. (20nm) And if chip gets smaller it will consume less energy.

By changing all components to effecient one, it can maintain its battery life, I suppose

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Apple told me that retina display is as sharp as my eye can distinguish at normal viewing distance. So what's the need for higher resolution?
Then you just keep listening to what Apple tells you. As others have posted, a higher resolution display makes things sharper and smoother still. However, the downsides are slightly slower performance (compared to lower resolution displays), and lower battery life. I think the 326ppi display of the iPhone is okay, but I much prefer displays that are around 400ppi. I've never really used the 2k screens a lot on a phone, but have seen them and didn't really think much of their resolution increase; especially considering the battery life hit...

Reactions: SR71

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
You think Apple has the smarts to scale the resolution up that much? Apple would have to replace the 4.7" display for a UHD display panel. I hope you are right in your prediction; but I kind of doubt it! It would cost Apple at least $6 a display to upgrade everything on the 4.7"; and that is a lot of money lost! We will know in a few days! Cross your fingers for a higher resolution screen in the 6S! LOL!

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
According to rumor, A9 chip is made from 14nm architecture which is lot smaller than its predecessor. (20nm) And if chip gets smaller it will consume less energy.

By changing all components to effecient one, it can maintain its battery life, I suppose

I don't doubt that. There will be also software improvements with iOS 9, but if memory serves me right the 6Plus needed the massive battery for the power hungry 5,5'' 1080p LCD. If they don't switch display technologies, it will be tough for the 6S to maintain its battery life. Or i am totally wrong, it will easily maintain it and the 6S Plus will see a nice boost. I'm excited to see what happens on wednesday.

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
Guys they need those higher resolutions to show off those newly shot 4k videos and 12 MP photos!

I mean it would be bad marketing if the photos/videos shot with the 6s would look the same on the normal 6 display :p

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
The regular a9 will be dualcore.
The a9x will be a triple or quadcore.

The res i find hard to believe.

The 6S+ can have 2208x1242. It is the original internal res of the 6+ now, it is just downsampled to 1920x1080.

The 6s having a 2001x1125 res. I don' t think so, i hope so of course!

If they are upping the res of the iphone 6s to 1704x960, it would be more plausible.(iphone 5/s/c resx2 retina, going to x3 retina).

I would love this rumor to be true though, but i don' t trust this information. Geekbench scores see, too high too.

Reactions: scapegoat81

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Higher res could maybe explain the new motion wallpapers being exclusive to the "s" models (exclusive to show off the higher res maybe?) Since there is no other real reason why that would be. (Definitely not a power issue, the Apple Watch is roughly the same power as the A5 in the 4s and can that handle it.)

Yes, that is true. The higher the res and ppi, the better the black will be. Because it takes more powerfull backlight to light the individual pixels. There would be less backlight bleading.

Ahh i don' t know what i am talking about. Read something like that somewhere.....

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I would very much welcome a resolution bump, even at the cost of decreased battery life.

Yeah, but only on the 6+, it has ample batterylife, decreasing it with 1 hour or so, can' t hurt.

On the 6 however i don' t want worse battery life. It is good as it is now.(for me).

But i guess i now know why apple is so focussed on battery in ios 9.
They could pull it of:

-faster a9 soc which consumes less energy
-faster network chip, which consumes less energy
-2 gb ddr4 memory
-4k recording
-12mp camera
-force touch/3d touch
-stronger shell with darker space grey and rose gold optiond
-improved screen res/higher dpi.
-animated wallpapers

Now, that would really be an upgrade!

Now bring wireless charging and, make it waterproof, get rid of the antenna lines and the camera bump, reduce the bezels, make it even thinner and we will have the iphone 7!

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Guys they need those higher resolutions to show off those newly shot 4k videos and 12 MP photos!

I mean it would be bad marketing if the photos/videos shot with the 6s would look the same on the normal 6 display :p

That' s it. You are making a great point here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.