Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Rumor Suggests New Apple TV 4K With A12X Chip is 'Ready to Ship'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Multiple rumors have indicated that Apple is working on a refreshed version of the Apple TV, and today, leaker Jon Prosser said that an updated 4K Apple TV model is "ready to ship."

According to Prosser, the Apple TV 4K will feature an A12X chip and 64 or 128GB storage options. The new Apple TV 4K could "drop any time," but Prosser does not know details on a specific launch date.

Signs of a new Apple TV were spotted in the iOS 13.4 beta in January, and at the time, it was believed it would feature an A12 chip. Prior rumors also suggested the same 64 and 128GB storage sizes mentioned by Prosser.

Beyond the new processor, we're not expecting major changes to the Apple TV. There have been signs of a new Apple TV with an updated remote in leaked iOS 14 code, but it's not clear if the new Apple TV that's rumored to be coming soon will feature remote control updates.

Prosser this week also said that Apple has a new iMac and AirPods ready to ship, but he did not provide additional details on these particular products.

Article Link: Rumor Suggests New Apple TV 4K With A12X Chip is 'Ready to Ship'

edhudley

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2016
It wouldn’t matter to me if it had an A99 chip, unless this thing will do far more than competing 4K streaming devices available at a fraction of a price, especially when they are on sale like Black Friday, I can’t see the dollar value.

Comment

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Is there any reason to get an Apple TV if you have a Smart TV or a Roku stick?

Genuinely asking.

Aside from Airplay, I can't think of any exclusive features that are useful (in a general sense).

If you're adverse to using your TV's built-in apps, then privacy. Apple Arcade if you subscribe to that. We use Airplay almost everyday, and it's nice to be able to watch photos and videos from our phones on a big screen. Really depends what you're use-cases are.

Comment

johannnn

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
With my 4K TV I often have lag when I double-press the home button to switch apps. And apps often don't remember their state. For example YouTube and Infuse often don't remember the timestamp for the current video and have to start over.

I hope the new TV has more RAM!

Comment

haganah

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
It would be cool if they came out with a 1080p one with an updated chip. I know, you can use the 4K Apple TV on a 1080p tv. But why pay extra for a feature you're not going to use?

And like maybe one that outputs at 480p right? Maybe go all the way back to CGA. Maybe even monochrome. Because you know, some people won't use 4k or even 1080p.

Comment

blcamp

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm wondering what could make this an appealing update to Apple TV 4k owners.

An improved remote would be a blessing to any current Apple TV owner, regardless of model.

I think the additional storage would be a good thing as well. I have a 4th Gen and a 4K model, each 64GB and am close to maxing out their storage as I have many apps, games and several movies stored locally on both of them. I don't care to stream if I don't have to.

Comment

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
I have the Apple TV 4K with A10X and occasionally I get a bit of lag in scrolling. I wonder if the A12 model would be any different, but I’m not convinced it would because its CPU performance is not much of an upgrade over A10X. Furthermore, the GPU in some ways is worse than A10X.

Maybe the A12 model would run a bit cooler? I never hear the fan on my A10X though. They could make it thinner though.

I’d expect the new one to have 3 GB and would also come in 32 GB and 64 GB like the current model.

WiFi 6 would be a small bonus though.

I just wish they’d come up with a better remote.

EDIT:

Oh, the article says A12X, not A12. That could remove all lag. A12X would do great for gaming too.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.