Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple launched the iPad Air 2 and the iPad mini 3 in late 2014, many people were disappointed with the iPad mini update, which essentially just added Touch ID to the existing iPad mini 2 with no other external design changes. Since then, there have been a few rumors suggesting Apple is working on an iPad mini 4 update that includes iPad Air 2 design elements like a thinner body.

French site Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate] today shared a video and some images of what's said to be an early version of the rear casing for the upcoming iPad mini 4.

The aluminum shell closely resembles the shell of the existing iPad mini, but it does include several design elements introduced with the iPad Air 2. There's a single row of larger speaker holes alongside the Lightning port at the bottom of the device, rather than two smaller rows, and the mute switch on the device has been removed and replaced with a microphone hole.

ipadmini4rearshell1-800x450.jpg
Rumors have suggested the iPad mini 4 will be thinner than the iPad mini 2 and the iPad mini 3, giving it a thickness more akin to the iPad Air 2, but it is difficult to determine the device's possible thickness based on the images that were shared. Along with an iPad Air-style design, an updated iPad mini 4 would likely adopt one of Apple's more recent processors, possibly the A8X in the iPad Air 2 or an A9 processor coming later this year.

ipadminirearshell2-800x450.jpg
There's been little word on when an updated iPad mini might launch, but given Apple's historical fall release schedule for iPads, it's unlikely we will see the iPad mini 4 until the later months of 2015.

Article Link: Rumored iPad Mini 4 Rear Shell With iPad Air 2 Design Elements Shown Off in New Video

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
I wish they would come up with a more consistent naming convention for the iPads....

iPad Mini 4 alongisde the iPad Air 3 at the launch of iPhone 6S and a revamped iMac 5k?

Comment

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
That's more like it. Now just add a display with a much improved color gamut and A9/M9 chips and I'll be very interested!

Comment

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Anyone else just underwhelmed with the "retina" display on the iPad minis? I don't know why but compared to the iPad Air's, the iPad Mini's display just seems a bit fuzzy/Not sharp?

Comment

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
WOW! I didn't see this coming!! Classic Apple: release a BS Product one year, then the next year, re-release it with "new and improved" specs. :mad::rolleyes:

Comment

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
It'd be nice to see some more software for iPad.

I remember when the iPad 3 was launched and they showed off iPhoto... it felt like they had such faith in the iPad. Now we see hardware updates but no new apps.

If they decided against OS X on a tablet, opting instead for writing new software from scratch, what more is coming? Final Cut Pro for iPad?

Comment

jhts

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2015
WOW! I didn't see this coming!! Classic Apple: release a BS Product one year, then the next year, re-release it with "new and improved" specs. :mad::rolleyes:

You're right. The 1st gen needs a re-release... Improved specs are just what everyone is expecting.

iPad Mini Classic.

Comment

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Knowing apple iterative update this could be the real thing. But apple has to make the ipad more appealing as new features like touch id, force touch has no impact for me to upgrade from my mini retina 2.

Comment

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I bet it gets released with the new iPad Air 3 but with iPad Air 2 specs.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can't keep up with these product releases... they all become a blur.

----------

If Apple does not put in 2GB of RAM, then they shouldnt even bother with it.

And as soon as they do, you'll come out saying that 4GB is what they should've put in.

What can't you do with the current iPad right now due to RAM restrictions? Give three examples.

More RAM is akin to a bigger gas tank.... would you rather a car engine that was super-efficient, or one with a giant gas tank? Apple strives for super efficient.

(yah, I know RAM-to-gas tank comparison is not the best... but you get the point... bigger specs does not always mean better... because software just gets more bloated and requires higher specs, and on it goes... never being happy)

Comment

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
What can't you do with the current iPad right now due to RAM restrictions? Give three examples.

Ex 1) Tell my friends "I've got two gigs of RAM!"
Ex 2) Divide RAM amount by 2 and get 1 as a result.
Ex 3) Complain about the fact that iPad should have 4GB of RAM.

Comment

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Is the ipad mini selling well? It seems I remember reading that with the iphone 6/+ the mini is not so popular. Frankly it is getting a bit confusing. The size difference from the 6+ to the mini is not as significant as before. For me it was clear that I had a phone (the 5s before and now the 6) a tablet (the ipad air 2) and the desktop (the imac 21"). Now with the 6+, the macbook at 12" and the Air at 11 or 13 inches, the whole thing seems a mess. They need to clarify the product line big time (not to mention the silly naming conventions)

Comment

Yebubbleman

macrumors 601
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

When Apple launched the iPad Air 2 and the iPad mini 3 in late 2014, many people were disappointed with the iPad mini update, which essentially just added Touch ID to the existing iPad mini 2 with no other external design changes. Since then, there have been a few rumors suggesting Apple is working on an iPad mini 4 update that includes iPad Air 2 design elements like a thinner body.

French site Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate] today shared a video and some images of what's said to be an early version of the rear casing for the upcoming iPad mini 4.

YouTube: video
The aluminum shell closely resembles the shell of the existing iPad mini, but it does include several design elements introduced with the iPad Air 2. There's a single row of larger speaker holes alongside the Lightning port at the bottom of the device, rather than two smaller rows, and the mute switch on the device has been removed and replaced with a microphone hole.

Rumors have suggested the iPad mini 4 will be thinner than the iPad mini 2 and the iPad mini 3, giving it a thickness more akin to the iPad Air 2, but it is difficult to determine the device's possible thickness based on the images that were shared. Along with an iPad Air-style design, an updated iPad mini 4 would likely adopt one of Apple's more recent processors, possibly the A8X in the iPad Air 2 or an A9 processor coming later this year.

There's been little word on when an updated iPad mini might launch, but given Apple's historical fall release schedule for iPads, it's unlikely we will see the iPad mini 4 until the later months of 2015.

Article Link: Rumored iPad Mini 4 Rear Shell With iPad Air 2 Design Elements Shown Off in New Video

At least that means that it's likely that Apple still cares about the iPad mini line. Things seriously didn't look good when (a) the iPad mini's chief competitor product (the Nexus 7) was discontinued in favor of a phablet (the Nexus 6) and a larger tablet (Nexus 9) and (b) the iPad mini 3 was literally identical to the mini 2 save for the touch button and a gold color option.

Comment

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I can't keep up with these product releases... they all become a blur.

----------

And as soon as they do, you'll come out saying that 4GB is what they should've put in.

More RAM is akin to a bigger gas tank.... would you rather a car engine that was super-efficient, or one with a giant gas tank? Apple strives for super efficient.

(yah, I know RAM-to-gas tank comparison is not the best... but you get the point... bigger specs does not always mean better... because software just gets more bloated and requires higher specs, and on it goes... never being happy)

Well my Air 2 has 2GB and it responses a lot better than my 6 and you have to think of the future.

Comment

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
If this is the case, then it makes perfect sense.

iPad Mini, A5, 512 MB RAM, base model
iPad Mini 3, A7, 1 GB RAM, second tier.
iPad Mini 4, A9, 2 GB RAM, highest tier.

P.S. I don't know why, but for me that enclosure looks thinner than last gen of iPad Mini. The back looks more flat, just like the one in iPad Air 2.

Comment

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Curious if Apple will ever use USB-C for iPhones and iPad's in the future...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.