Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The hackintosh lives! Hahahahahahahahaha...take that, suckas. Lol.

OnePotato

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
I can confirm that Max OS X 10.6.2 does not work on my Radio Shack TRS-80. Damn Apple and their short-sighted greed.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Personally, I think it is unfair of those Netbook folks installing MacOSX. Apple should lock them out. I had to pay Apple's hardware premium to use their software, they should too. Apple probably will lock them out regardless of the table to protect the hardware margins. I think they are on the tightrope now between protecting margins and keeping the hacker base happy.

You call the fake version of a man who is happy to stand in line and pay full price for Apple gear even though the company offered to send him free stuff. A man who no doubt also has a small fleet of Hackintoshs to mess around with, just because he can.

Then post that...

Delicious Irony

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

FakeWozniak said:
Personally, I think it is unfair of those Netbook folks installing MacOSX. Apple should lock them out. I had to pay Apple's hardware premium to use their software, they should too. Apple probably will lock them out regardless of the table to protect the hardware margins. I think they are on the tightrope now between protecting margins and keeping the hacker base happy.

That is the dumbest logic I've ever heard. No one cares what you paid. Some people want products Apple doesn't offer, such as, oh, I dunno, a netbook, but with Apple software installed. I can't help it if you don't fit into this category.

And to use the old cliché... life isn't fair ;)

iigsie

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
I say disable it now.

This is how things get out of hand. We all know it isn't "supported" but it works and people are using it. The problem is even if it isn't "supported" the more people that use it the more complaints/bad press Apple will get when it is finally pulled or it breaks.

I'm sorry, but that is a completely ludicrous thing to say. Who in their right mind would complain to Apple that their unsupported hardware breaching the quite clear EULA is no longer supported?

However people that do not pay for software are literally the scum of the earth, and deserve to be locked away, but if you've paid for the full box set you should be entitled to do what you want with it.

I'm with lifeinhd, I own 4 Macs, all of which I bought new. There is a gap in Apples lineup, It really can't be hard for them to make a small MacBook for around the same price as a HP Mini.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I can confirm that Max OS X 10.6.2 does not work on my Radio Shack TRS-80. Damn Apple and their short-sighted greed.

You should have used the 16K upgrade pack like I did on my old CoCo1 Trash 80. The original 4K was rocking, though. Genuine Microsoft 9 color system.

iigsie

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
You should have used the 16K upgrade pack like I did on my old CoCo1 Trash 80. The original 4K was rocking, though. Genuine Microsoft 9 color system.

It's running fine on my PC-2. So nice to have Dock Expose :D

Arthagnan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Sweden
That's why it's called MacRumors

funny-pictures-lol-squid.jpg

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

Why do you care what other people payed for their system? Do you get upset at Mac mini owners because you own an iMac? Or MacBook owners because you own a MacBook Pro?

The Hackintosh community as a whole probably accounts for less than one percent of the Mac user base. Apple could careless. By design, it’s always going to be limited to enthusiasts.

If a third-party OEM started getting Hacktintosh machines into retail channels, Apple would start caring. Otherwise, they should have better things to do with their time.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Its funny how the hackintosh community and tech news sites had a **** fest over something in a developer build, where bugs are worked out. I also really hope tech journalism hasn't stooped to basing claims off one user's feedback on a forum...

Blogging != journalism.

For further insight: see "the Nine Elements of Journalism", from the book, The Elements of Journalism...

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Why do you care what other people payed for their system? Do you get upset at Mac mini owners because you own an iMac? Or MacBook owners because you own a MacBook Pro?

The Hackintosh community as a whole probably accounts for less than one percent of the Mac user base. Apple could careless. By design, it’s always going to be limited to enthusiasts.

If a third-party OEM started getting Hacktintosh machines into retail channels, Apple would start caring. Otherwise, they should have better things to do with their time.

I'd guess Apple secretly loves much of the Hackintosh community. They're a little fan club of sorts, most of which I am sure own Apple hardware. But the Hackintoshers are pretty much free advertising, most enthusiasts have friends/family that see what they are doing but are not into 'hacking' and all the extra work but they see that their Hackintosh friend loves Apple products (again, most of them use the Hackintosh for a fun hobby, something to just try and do to see if they can. but actually have Apple products at home) so their friends/fam go buy a real Mac.
Plus the Hackintosh community is sort of free R&D for Apple, Both in terms of seeing how people are accomplishing things (and then Apple can turn around and offer a polished version..kind of like Boot Camp) and it gives Apple a chance to see what people want that they are not offering. (another example would be people unlocking their iPhones to install applications before Apple allowed it. now that Apple allows apps I don't know many people with unlocked phones, and now that there's boot-camp I don't know anyone using a 3rd party boot loader)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I think the interest isn't so much about hackintoshes which are by definition hobbiest activities. It is about speculation that Snow Leopard 10.6.x being compatible with Atom on the theory some future Tablet might use it. Whatever PA Semi is doing is compatible, perhaps even driving the very existence of Snow Leopard itself.

10.5 was a lark and bridge to 10.6. Vista was an abortion leading to Windows 7. Two competitors with similar strategies/experiences.

W7 goes to more powerful laptop solutions. SL goes to more powerful handtop solutions. Everybody here knows who wins this one. The company with the highest margins and growth rate wins. Period.

Rocketman

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
That is the dumbest logic I've ever heard. No one cares what you paid. Some people want products Apple doesn't offer, such as, oh, I dunno, a netbook, but with Apple software installed. I can't help it if you don't fit into this category.

A little harsh on the "dumbest logic". I care what I pay. The Saturn division of GM did really well because people cared what they paid relative to others. Don't you think that if someone published idiot-proof instructions on how to download Snow Leopard from a bit torrent, then install it on a $300 low end machine, that the millions of folks buying genuine Apple hardware and software would feel upset about this. The difference seems to be most people have morals.

You seem to be one of those folks that feels entitled to things that either don't exist or are not yours. You can buy Snow Leopard, but good luck with it on non approved hardware.

Out of curiosity, what is your stand on the Palm Pre and iTunes thing?

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
You call the fake version of a man who is happy to stand in line and pay full price for Apple gear even though the company offered to send him free stuff. A man who no doubt also has a small fleet of Hackintoshs to mess around with, just because he can.

Then post that...

Delicious Irony

All your base are belong to us

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007

I agree that it is just a hobby now, but if this takes off, then it will cause Apple to start getting defensive, like MS did. Agree? I think you believe it won't go anywhere. I used to think that way with iPhones before all the jailbreaking.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Trial balloon
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A trial balloon is information sent out in order to observe the reaction of an audience. It can be used by companies sending out press releases to judge reaction by customers, or it can be used by politicians who deliberately leak information on a policy change under consideration. In politics trial balloons often take the form of an intentional news "leak" to assess public opinion.

For instance, a company might announce they are going to release a new computer program in a year, and then read the press coverage for hints on whether or not the product will have appeal in the marketplace. If the coverage is favourable the money will be spent on development, but if not the project can be cancelled before using up resources. A trial balloon under the company's own name is somewhat risky; if too many are "floated" the company risks becoming known as the company that cried wolf, and can find itself being ignored completely. In addition, the company can find that the product being planned is unworkable, leading to the phenomenon of vaporware.

(Saying Atom support was never removed might be an additional trial balloon)

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

And to use the old cliché... life isn't fair ;)

I'm not sure I understand FakeWoz's logic either, but I think I get his point.

I think a lot of people are suspicious of the hackintosh movement because we're worried that it will take legitmate $$$ away from Apple or otherwise harm Apple in a way that will make Apple raise prices, add annoying anti-piracy measures to the OS, or something equally bad.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Ha, ha, ha. I'll take this as a little reminder not to pay too much attention to MR articles.

Well, if Apple wasn't so damn secretive about everything they do, perhaps these rumors wouldn't reach the wildfire stage.

Anyway, something has to fill the void between new product / new OS update releases. We couldn't all just be having a smooth ride with all the Apple products we've happily bought. :rolleyes:

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
PLEASE DELIVER 10.6.2 NOW !!!
I don't want to believe that they are still spending any time around atom, while we need the update NOW ! I want to use safari again !

FFS Wait until this update is tested. What happens if the bug fixes cause worse bugs in other areas.... That is what testing is about.

Scottcop

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
I for one am shocked, shocked I tell you, that information on a random persons blog turned out to be untrue, shocked.

Still said random person has picked up alot of free advertising, hopefully the "web" community will learn not to repost someones random ramblings, haha who am I kidding!

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

One word.... Psystar!

If the likes of Psystar carry on (and there are similar companies in Europe trying it on now) as they are, I would expect Apple to start really introducing some measures, including removal of the honour system.

I suspect they have very little of a problem with most hackintoshers. Despite it being against the EULA, they make no money out of it. Indeed those who host forums probably are lucky to break even.

Again, a lot of hackintoshers end up buying a mac. I had a Toshiba Laptop that came with the second worst OS in the world (Vista - The very worst was Windows ME). I found an insider secret on cnet showing Tiger running on a ThinkPad and was intrigued. I ended up buying Leopard (It wasn't expensive and I felt if I didn't like it, so be it) downloaded the BrazilMac hack and set to work. I now have a G4 and 2 MacBooks.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I think the interest isn't so much about hackintoshes which are by definition hobbiest activities. It is about speculation that Snow Leopard 10.6.x being compatible with Atom on the theory some future Tablet might use it. Whatever PA Semi is doing is compatible, perhaps even driving the very existence of Snow Leopard itself.

10.5 was a lark and bridge to 10.6. Vista was an abortion leading to Windows 7. Two competitors with similar strategies/experiences.

W7 goes to more powerful laptop solutions. SL goes to more powerful handtop solutions. Everybody here knows who wins this one. The company with the highest margins and growth rate wins. Period.

Rocketman

lots of truth in this post...I was thinking the exact same idea yesterday. Just another way to push more people into the clouds, also.

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
It really can't be hard for them to make a small MacBook for around the same price as a HP Mini.

No, it probably isn't. But Apple don't want to make cheap as chips bargain basement products. That sort of complaint is like complaining that Bentley don't make a low carbon family runabout. It isn't their market, and they don't want to be part of that market. Otherwise they would have made one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.