Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AsianChexMix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
I just got off the phone and I just asked them a few questions about this new iPhone that is rumored to come out. She actually "admitted" to being a "huge Apple iPhone fan" and "a huge Apple geek". I asked her if she heard about it and said with 99.999% confidence that there won't be a new iPhone as we are all speculating. She said that AT&T reps go through training with the phones and usually know about it months in advance. According her as well, she said she found out about the 3G iPhone being released last year around January and then it got heavy around March.

Now I know the general conception is that we know more than the reps do but it appears that she knew what's going on. She did say that the new iPhone would be nano if it were anything. Any validity to this statement and can any AT&T reps vouch this? Perhaps my noobness is the cause for being gullible.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Honestly what did you expect the rep to say? I mean, the only real concrete rumor is that Apple ordered a bunch or parts, that gives nothing of a time line, it also really does not mean there is another one on the way.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
There is a thing called confidentiality, all AT&T reps sign a paper saying when hired they cannot talk about a new iphones until its official. If they do they can get fired and sued by apple for breach of their confidentiality agreement all companys do this.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Reps be it AT&T, Apple, etc., do not know when new products are introduced until when it happens, or just before.

I wouldn't put much faith in what the rep said to you. Too many other signs out there indicating different.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
There will be a new iPhone in June. It is all but confirmed. They have eased up on restriction to buy the 3G, there are reports that it has been discontinued at other carriers, and AT&T is spending billions to build up their network. Plus, Apple has ordered parts for it, other hidden features have been spotted in 3.0, and even certain publications have written about a new one in the pipeline. There is a better chance we get a new iPhone than not.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
You can never trust anyone from at&t... She was probably just playing with your head. Why do you think Apple always waits awhile to actually begin selling the iPhone's after their introduction... Obviously so they can get it ready without risking a leak of product info. from a misinformed employee.

fleeper

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
I was in the AT&T store the other day buying some headphones and asked about a new iphone in June---both reps standing there looked like they had never heard of this idea before.

Not really shocking though, not really the best and brightest there.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I just got off the phone and I just asked them a few questions about this new iPhone that is rumored to come out. She actually "admitted" to being a "huge Apple iPhone fan" and "a huge Apple geek". I asked her if she heard about it and said with 99.999% confidence that there won't be a new iPhone as we are all speculating. She said that AT&T reps go through training with the phones and usually know about it months in advance. According her as well, she said she found out about the 3G iPhone being released last year around January and then it got heavy around March.

Now I know the general conception is that we know more than the reps do but it appears that she knew what's going on. She did say that the new iPhone would be nano if it were anything. Any validity to this statement and can any AT&T reps vouch this? Perhaps my noobness is the cause for being gullible.

wow. I thought this was gonna be a joke thread. have you ever met an at&t employee that could string together a complete sentence without drooling?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Reps be it AT&T, Apple, etc., do not know when new products are introduced until when it happens, or just before.

I wouldn't put much faith in what the rep said to you. Too many other signs out there indicating different.

I agree, before the new Macbooks came out I asked a person at Apple and he said they know the day they are announced. I think there will be a new iPhone because why would Apple make all this software in 3.0 that the hardware in the 3G can't do?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
There is no merit to this.

Gee.. someone asking of merit on a rumours site, and being told there is no merit without any proof of it. What are the odds? :rolleyes:

Of course there could be merit to it, just like there could not be merit to it. We won't know either way until Apple says something, so even the chance of there being a new iPhone in June could be nil.

But since this thread is appropriately titled 'RUMORs of phone denied by ATT', treat it as such with merit and argue the pros and cons.

BL.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
She's full of BS.
The reps last year didnt go thru training with the iphones months in advance. Noone even knew what they looked like or what features they had untill they were released.
And she said she knew about the last one in January? Yeah ok.

Reps are clueless and they'll most likelly tell you what they need to say to sell a phone ASAP. No AT&T Rep is going to tell you dont buy a phone now wait 3-4 months till the new one is released.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
She knows nothing.

She just want's you to go ahead and buy a 3g now to help with clearing inventory for the new one. :rolleyes:
wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants

Sincerely,
P

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Customer calls are recorded. Why would she jeopardize her job to tell you about future hardware releases?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
She just want's you to go ahead and buy a 3g now to help with clearing inventory for the new one. :rolleyes:

Exactly. AT&T would not be able to clear their 3G inventory if they went around telling people a new phone was coming out in 2 months.

An AT&T rep also told me Apple would never introduce MMS for the iPhone.

wfiphone

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009
wow. I thought this was gonna be a joke thread. have you ever met an at&t employee that could string together a complete sentence without drooling?

LOL! I know EXACTLY what you mean. The rep insisted that the touch screen worked from the heat of your fingers LOL. Sigh, God Bless them.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
LOL! I know EXACTLY what you mean. The rep insisted that the touch screen worked from the heat of your fingers LOL. Sigh, God Bless them.

You know that is true right?
Unlocking your iphone with a pencil eraser or even take put your finger under your t-shirt and try unlocking it or using a styist to type, it doesnt work.

Only your finger does

lmcintyre

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2006
You know that is true right?
Unlocking your iphone with a pencil eraser or even take put your finger under your t-shirt and try unlocking it or using a styist to type, it doesnt work.

Only your finger does

From what I understand there is a small amount of electric current running through the panel. When you touch it, the current is transferred to your finger. This tells the software where exactly you touched the screen. Keep in mind I'm not an expert, that's just what I've been told.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
From what I understand there is a small amount of electric current running through the panel. When you touch it, the current is transferred to your finger. This tells the software where exactly you touched the screen. Keep in mind I'm not an expert, that's just what I've been told.

That is pretty much what the AT&T rep said. It only seems to work with your finger and no inanimate objects.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
I'm sure I will get flamed for this and you guys will ask me to provide details but... here I go anyway..

There will be a new iPhone come June/July. 100%
Held the new iPhone in my hand. 2 Version + Prototype.

Go ahead with the flames. Have my suit on.

redrox5

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Chicago
I'm sure I will get flamed for this and you guys will ask me to provide details but... here I go anyway..

There will be a new iPhone come June/July. 100%
Held the new iPhone in my hand. 2 Version + Prototype.

Go ahead with the flames. Have my suit on.

I believe you 100%. Thank you for your interesting and factual post. +100 for the fact that you provided pictures and specs! Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.