Rumors of new iPhone denied by AT&T Rep?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AsianChexMix, Apr 11, 2009.

1. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

I just got off the phone and I just asked them a few questions about this new iPhone that is rumored to come out. She actually "admitted" to being a "huge Apple iPhone fan" and "a huge Apple geek". I asked her if she heard about it and said with 99.999% confidence that there won't be a new iPhone as we are all speculating. She said that AT&T reps go through training with the phones and usually know about it months in advance. According her as well, she said she found out about the 3G iPhone being released last year around January and then it got heavy around March.

Now I know the general conception is that we know more than the reps do but it appears that she knew what's going on. She did say that the new iPhone would be nano if it were anything. Any validity to this statement and can any AT&T reps vouch this? Perhaps my noobness is the cause for being gullible.

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Of course they are going to deny any rumors of a new product, especially to customers.

3. AsianChexMix thread starter macrumors regular

....but could there be ANY merit when it comes to this?

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Honestly what did you expect the rep to say? I mean, the only real concrete rumor is that Apple ordered a bunch or parts, that gives nothing of a time line, it also really does not mean there is another one on the way.

5. redrox5 macrumors member

There is no merit to this.

6. davelanger macrumors 6502a

There is a thing called confidentiality, all AT&T reps sign a paper saying when hired they cannot talk about a new iphones until its official. If they do they can get fired and sued by apple for breach of their confidentiality agreement all companys do this.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Reps be it AT&T, Apple, etc., do not know when new products are introduced until when it happens, or just before.

I wouldn't put much faith in what the rep said to you. Too many other signs out there indicating different.

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

There will be a new iPhone in June. It is all but confirmed. They have eased up on restriction to buy the 3G, there are reports that it has been discontinued at other carriers, and AT&T is spending billions to build up their network. Plus, Apple has ordered parts for it, other hidden features have been spotted in 3.0, and even certain publications have written about a new one in the pipeline. There is a better chance we get a new iPhone than not.

9. Mjmar macrumors 65816

You can never trust anyone from at&t... She was probably just playing with your head. Why do you think Apple always waits awhile to actually begin selling the iPhone's after their introduction... Obviously so they can get it ready without risking a leak of product info. from a misinformed employee.

10. fleeper macrumors 6502

I was in the AT&T store the other day buying some headphones and asked about a new iphone in June---both reps standing there looked like they had never heard of this idea before.

Not really shocking though, not really the best and brightest there.

11. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

wow. I thought this was gonna be a joke thread. have you ever met an at&t employee that could string together a complete sentence without drooling?

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I agree, before the new Macbooks came out I asked a person at Apple and he said they know the day they are announced. I think there will be a new iPhone because why would Apple make all this software in 3.0 that the hardware in the 3G can't do?

13. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

She knows nothing.

She just want's you to go ahead and buy a 3g now to help with clearing inventory for the new one. :rolleyes:

14. AsianChexMix thread starter macrumors regular

That's why I was surprised as well. Thanks guys!

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Gee.. someone asking of merit on a rumours site, and being told there is no merit without any proof of it. What are the odds? :rolleyes:

Of course there could be merit to it, just like there could not be merit to it. We won't know either way until Apple says something, so even the chance of there being a new iPhone in June could be nil.

But since this thread is appropriately titled 'RUMORs of phone denied by ATT', treat it as such with merit and argue the pros and cons.

BL.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

She's full of BS.
    The reps last year didnt go thru training with the iphones months in advance. Noone even knew what they looked like or what features they had untill they were released.
    And she said she knew about the last one in January? Yeah ok.

Reps are clueless and they'll most likelly tell you what they need to say to sell a phone ASAP. No AT&T Rep is going to tell you dont buy a phone now wait 3-4 months till the new one is released.

17. Pooshka macrumors 65816

wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants wants

Sincerely,
    P

18. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Customer calls are recorded. Why would she jeopardize her job to tell you about future hardware releases?

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Exactly. AT&T would not be able to clear their 3G inventory if they went around telling people a new phone was coming out in 2 months.

An AT&T rep also told me Apple would never introduce MMS for the iPhone.

20. wfiphone macrumors member

LOL! I know EXACTLY what you mean. The rep insisted that the touch screen worked from the heat of your fingers LOL. Sigh, God Bless them.

21. davelanger macrumors 6502a

You know that is true right?
    Unlocking your iphone with a pencil eraser or even take put your finger under your t-shirt and try unlocking it or using a styist to type, it doesnt work.

Only your finger does

22. lmcintyre macrumors regular

From what I understand there is a small amount of electric current running through the panel. When you touch it, the current is transferred to your finger. This tells the software where exactly you touched the screen. Keep in mind I'm not an expert, that's just what I've been told.

23. davelanger macrumors 6502a

That is pretty much what the AT&T rep said. It only seems to work with your finger and no inanimate objects.

24. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I'm sure I will get flamed for this and you guys will ask me to provide details but... here I go anyway..

There will be a new iPhone come June/July. 100%
    Held the new iPhone in my hand. 2 Version + Prototype.

Go ahead with the flames. Have my suit on.

25. redrox5 macrumors member

I believe you 100%. Thank you for your interesting and factual post. +100 for the fact that you provided pictures and specs! Thanks again!