Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your hinge creak when you run your finger along it?

• YES it does and it bothers me. Makes me wish I had on that didn't.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Nope. Solid as a rock.

Votes: 56 62.9%
  • YES but it doesn't bother me at all. You're crazy.

Votes: 22 24.7%

• Total voters

james948

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
I'm going to try out the macbooks instore and see if they have the same problem. If more than half do, I'll cancel my appt.

But that, after all, was what I posted on Macrumors for!

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
Wow.
C'mon guys, you're all being very harsh.

As with any new product I'm concerned about build quality and I've discovered that my hinge has a certain amount of looseness. I didn't go looking for it but I now I've found it I'm just concerned it's not as tight as it should be. Rather than running to Apple right away I wanted to get your opinion on it first.

My original post was a little self-parodic anyway so please don't take the piss out of it (the wording etc).

Seriously don't worry about it. Some of these posters really do just sit around waiting for someone to jump on. Don't believe me... do a search and look at their posts.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I never did answer your question:

Mine does this too. If I close the lid and carry it, the black bit does creak/move slightly. But it is because it is plastic.

If you think that was bad, the previous generation MBP's were dreadful for it, and that wasn't even plastic, it was aluminium that was creaking.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I never did answer your question:

Mine does this too. If I close the lid and carry it, the black bit does creak/move slightly. But it is because it is plastic.

If you think that was bad, the previous generation MBP's were dreadful for it, and that wasn't even plastic, it was aluminium that was creaking.

Now that's a nice, constructive answer :p

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I'm going to try out the macbooks instore and see if they have the same problem. If more than half do, I'll cancel my appt.

if you're already in the store why would you cancel it?:confused: just go through with it at that point.

maccam

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2007
Wisconsin
Wow you have every right to complain!

Listen you bashers, if you keep accepting small little problems like this, it will lead up to very BIG problems later in life.

I'm a furniture maker, and people look THOROUGHLY at it. They flip it upside down and pet it everywhere.

Remember the old saying guys: "Give em' an inch and they take a foot"

Cheers,
maccam

james948

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
So as not to waste both mine and the genius's time, I suppose.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't want to demand a replacement if there's no need.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008

You know how when you go to the Doctor and say, "Hey Doc, when I do a triple back flip, my foot hurts." And the Doctor says, "Well, don't do a triple back flip then."

That is what we are trying to tell you. There is absolutely no reason for you to apply pressure to the hinge to the point that you hear a cracking sound.

On a side note, there was a thread on this a week or so ago. Maybe if you search for it, you'll find someone who understands your plight.

maccam

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2007
Wisconsin
So as not to waste both mine and the genius's time, I suppose.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't want to demand a replacement if there's no need.

I would check the other ones at the Apple Store, if they have the same thing, don't ask for a return.

If they DON'T have it, DEMAND a return.

james948

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
Hang on.
It's not when I close the macbook. It's when it's open. It's the part of the hinge on the inside, under the macbook lettering.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Wow you have every right to complain!

Listen you bashers, if you keep accepting small little problems like this, it will lead up to very BIG problems later in life.

I'm a furniture maker, and people look THOROUGHLY at it. They flip it upside down and pet it everywhere.

Remember the old saying guys: "Give em' an inch and they take a foot"

Cheers,
maccam

It's not even a problem, OP is applying pressure to plastic, and it's make a creaking sound, if you want apple to use some kind of magic plastic that doesn't creak when put under pressure then create a research team and get to work, otherwise this is overkill of needlessly trying to find things wrong with a Mac...

maccam

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2007
Wisconsin
It's not even a problem, OP is applying pressure to plastic, and it's make a creaking sound, if you want apple to use some kind of magic plastic that doesn't creak when put under pressure then create a research team and get to work, otherwise this is overkill of needlessly trying to find things wrong with a Mac...

There isn't supposed to be plastic on those MacBooks.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Hang on.
It's not when I close the macbook. It's when it's open. It's the part of the hinge on the inside, under the macbook lettering.

This may sound harsh, but I'm not trying to be, but you have to be really honest with yourself, would you be this picky if it were a Windows PC? Think hard before you answer yes. ;)

Many people miss all sorts of anomalies with their PC's just because they could care less because it's a PC.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
This may sound harsh, but I'm not trying to be, but you have to be really honest with yourself, would you be this picky if it were a Windows PC? Think hard before you answer yes. ;)

Many people miss all sorts of anomalies with their PC's just because they could care less because it's a PC.

That's a pointless argument... He doesn't have a PC now, does he?!?

james948

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The plastic on the RIGHT hand side is not creaky. Why should the plastic on the left hand side?

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I will not recant. I will stand firm. I will be a pillar of resolve for what I believe: You are nuts.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Most Mac users have been PC users so YOUR argument is pointless. Do you play kissie face to backsides a lot??:p

So just because PC laptops' quality control is crappier everybody should lower their standards?!?
The OP has a valid concern, it's his Mac, his money. Either help him figure out if it's an issue or let him be.. :eek:

rogair

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
The plastic on the RIGHT hand side is not creaky. Why should the plastic on the left hand side?

The airport card, located inside the clutch cover (black plastic), resides on the right hand side. The left hand side of the cover has nothing except for the LVDS cable routing through there.

So in reality, you are damaging your airport card by applying pressure along the right hand side!!!

Not really, but geez man, just forget about it. It's a computer, not a show dog.

hartattack

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
I actually had my hinge make that creek noise after a week so i took it to apple and they swapped it out for new one.

Don't hesitate to exchange it people, its a $1600 dollar toy, you deserve to be happy with a expensive toy.

Yeahsayer

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008
Mine creaks too... Don't worry about that, I understand that you want a perfect machine, and you deserve it, but it's definitely NOT an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.