Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6SpeedPourover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
Obviously YMMV, but this was my experience running on this beta. The route I ran is one that I run multiple times each week. I use a GPS Series 7, and I never bring my phone with me.

On my run today I noticed that my pace was significantly off. I was aiming for a sub 9:00 mile, and it was registering as 12:45. I know the difference between these two paces, and I was absolutely not running a 12:45 pace. I reached my typical mile checkpoint. It's the same every time within just a few steps. However, this time my watch only read 0.81 miles.

After my run, my watch told me I had run 6.14 miles, and I knew this seemed low. I meticulously plugged my map into both Strava and RunGo, and they showed 6.97 and 6.72 miles respectively. I'll do another run tomorrow and see if this was just a one time thing or some sort of issue with this particular beta release. I run 4-5 times each week and I've been impressed for years with how consistent and accurate the watch has been even without my phone on me on long runs. My last marathon was accurate within a tenth of a mile without my phone on me at all.

I'll report back after my run tomorrow, but if you run and rely on your watch for pace and distance information for a training plan, be aware that this Beta release might mess with that data. Feedback submitted, and will continue to be submitted if the problem persists.

rutiger

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
I ran 6 miles and walked another 2 later with my dog yesterday with no issues in GPS/distance/pace using Nike Run Club for the run and the native workout app for the walk. This is using my AWU.

6SpeedPourover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
IMG_0009.png
Ran 6 miles today, and had similar, if not worse results. I had my phone with me this time and lost a significant portion of my run in a spot where I never have problems with without phone.

Reactions: xDKP

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
View attachment 2237835 Ran 6 miles today, and had similar, if not worse results. I had my phone with me this time and lost a significant portion of my run in a spot where I never have problems with without phone.
This is very weird. I have a spot on my walks where the GPS goes regularly haywire, and show me out in the middle of the river. But you say you haven't had problems in this spot before so... Hope you figure this out, that's a lot of distance to lose from your run.

6SpeedPourover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
This is very weird. I have a spot on my walks where the GPS goes regularly haywire, and show me out in the middle of the river. But you say you haven't had problems in this spot before so... Hope you figure this out, that's a lot of distance to lose from your run.
I run this route multiple times a week and occasionally it'll have me off by a few feet and show that I ran through the corner of a building, but not enough to impact anything. It's not the end of the world. Obviously I still ran it, but it's frustrating to not have accurate metrics when training.

There's also a bridge near me that has always messed with my pace data in a strange way whether I have my phone or not. On my way out, it shows me as going MUCH slower than expected, usually a 14:00 mile when I know I'm running around a 9-10, and then on the way back it'll compensate and say I'm running 5-6 minute miles. This has always happened though, so I don't suspect it's a software issue.

I'm hoping this sorts itself out over the next day or so or at least by the next beta. I've had a surprisingly large number of issues with beta 4 on both my phone and my watch, and I usually have pretty smooth experiences. I have another 6 mile training run tomorrow so I'll report back again for anybody who may be interested.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
The ultra is advertised as having some really fancy GPS, however I have found my iPhone and iPad to have a much more reliable position, hopefully it’s just a software issue Apple will patch

6SpeedPourover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
The ultra is advertised as having some really fancy GPS, however I have found my iPhone and iPad to have a much more reliable position, hopefully it’s just a software issue Apple will patch
I can’t speak for others responding, but I’m using a GPS Series 7.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I had this same issue on my ultra this morning. First time running on watchos10, public beta. Lost gps for a couple of km in the middle of an 8k.
1690527570148.png

Reactions: Akrapovic

6SpeedPourover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
Saw slight improvement today. I didn't lose GPS at any point, but it did give me my first mile very early - around .15 too soon. I don't know what would cause it, but distance tracking is off. I've run the same starting mile for a very long time and every time I've run it this week it's been different.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I ran the Workout app using an open Outdoor Run this morning (together with my Garmin) and they were within 0.03 of each other. I don't see any gaps from the AW tracking in the Fitness app.

I usually just use the AW for music and LTE but will double-track again this weekend and report back.

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Me too. I’m on public beta (which likely corresponds to dev beta 3), all interval runs (i.e. custom runs with work / recovery intervals) have GPS gaps. Happened repeatedly, pretty much whenever I use the custom/interval running workout. Open runs are all fine.
I’m using AW 7 if that matters.

6SpeedPourover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
Me too. I’m on public beta (which likely corresponds to dev beta 3), all interval runs (i.e. custom runs with work / recovery intervals) have GPS gaps. Happened repeatedly, pretty much whenever I use the custom/interval running workout. Open runs are all fine.
I’m using AW 7 if that matters.
Interesting. The run I had the worst results on this week was my interval run. I lost location for nearly half of the run.

• Wow

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I occasionally have this same problem with watchOS 9 on my Series 6 when I run with my iPhone in my pocket. Never had this problem when running with the watch alone.

6SpeedPourover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
MUCH better results today. 16 miles, only have one block (street block) of greyed out path on my run - less than a tenth of a mile. Had my phone with me in my run pouch this time. Ran a regular route that had problems this past week plus some extra.

Last edited:

Leakim

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2023
I'm also getting similar missing GPS data when running a structured workout.
Ultra w/t watchos 10 beta 4.

Attachments

• IMG_5C0F7CDCB969-1.jpeg
    IMG_5C0F7CDCB969-1.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 62

BullHorn

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2023
Had been happening to me too since installing the beta. At first I thought it was a Watch-specific bug, so I started bring my iPhone with me on my runs, and even though I have both devices with their separate GPS antennas and 4G connection, I'm getting the same missing GPS data while running out on an open sidewalk.

Last edited:

nightmare28

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
Started this morning on AW4 DB4 a golf workout. After some minutes battery was empty. Workout stopped :-(…after out the watch to a charger, reboot and battery was nearly 85% again, just in time. Maybe a bug. Had a similar issue during beta1 and using Nike Running app…
Hopefully this will be fixed with upcoming betas!

rutiger

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
Started this morning on AW4 DB4 a golf workout. After some minutes battery was empty. Workout stopped :-(…after out the watch to a charger, reboot and battery was nearly 85% again, just in time. Maybe a bug. Had a similar issue during beta1 and using Nike Running app…
Hopefully this will be fixed with upcoming betas!
I routinely had this issue with my AW7 & 8 when running. Start at 100% and within minutes crash & reboot (usually lose my run data) then it would say 10%. After a few reboots sometimes the battery would magically go back to saying 80 or 90 some percent. Luckily I've never had the same issue since moving to the AWU (early March) and 600 miles of running.

Reactions: nightmare28

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
MUCH better results today. 16 miles, only have one block (street block) of greyed out path on my run - less than a tenth of a mile. Had my phone with me in my run pouch this time. Ran a regular route that had problems this past week plus some extra.
I checked my yesterday’s run - found 7 very short gaps on a ~14k run (custom/intervals). Not a big impact in terms of overall pace, but still causes false pace-drop instances 😐

I need to try a Pacer type of run prior to my Saturday’s race, to see whether I can actually rely on that… 😬

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.