Running with a Huge Phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by morecowbell, Sep 10, 2014.

1. morecowbell macrumors member

I'm an avid runner...and I want the 6+. I usually run home from my office, so using an alternate device when I run is not an option.

Can somebody who runs with a Phone similar in size to the 6-Plus give me some opinions?

Will they even make a running case/band for the 6-Plus?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, I agree. I run with a iPhone 5c. I wonder what options we'll have.

3. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Please don't use a arm band haha.

http://flipbelt.com/

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Every case, every case color, every case make will come soon. Apple sells way too many phones for the case makers to quit now. Apple could have rolled out a 10" iPhone and there would be 10" cases of every type as soon as the manufacturers could make them.

Stand by. The accessories for the 6s will come pouring into the market now that the makers finally have the verified specs.

5. morecowbell thread starter macrumors member

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

7. tjusafa14, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

tjusafa14 macrumors newbie

Running Buddy

Here's a possible solution I posted on a similar thread last night.

I run much more often 25 miles a week now and I have Jaybird Bluebuds X bluetooth headphones (that I love) and an armband for my iPhone 5 currently. The issue I see is with a phone as big as the iPhone 6 plus it would be uncomfortable on my arm. The solution I may have found after research is the magnetic pouch called a Running Buddy in this link meant for running with Galaxy Notes. It's a magnetic puch that clips to your waistband and holds the phone. The note Running Buddy is 6.25" long and 4" tall and the iPhone 6 Plus is 6.22" by 3.06" so it should fit. My idea is to put this running buddy on the back of my waistband of my running shorts and then use the Bluebuds (and eventually an AppleWatch) while running. Hopefully this gave you a possible solution to your conundrum!

http://www.therunningbuddy.com/products/galaxy-note-3-running-buddy-black-6l-x-4-1-2h

8. tophermd macrumors member

tophermd

Flipbelt

I run with a 5S in it as well as an HTC One (about the size of a iPhone 6) and it works great!

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

10. ender21 macrumors 6502

This is definitely a concern.

For a while I had a small-ish amphipod waistpack in which I kept my 5S and any credit cards/ID I needed. Not so necessary for training but when I run races I could FMF my wife to see where she's located on-course after I finish, take any pictures, navigate, etc. Then I got sick of wearing a friggin waistpack and found some compression shorts that had sleeves big enough to hold the phone (with regular shorts worn over those). That was much much better. However, with the 6+ I fear having to bust out the waistpack again, or keeping my 5S and swapping-sims as-needed.

I'm looking at the FlipBelt and RunningBuddy now. Thanks for posting those links!

11. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

I am going to try it tonight for the first time. I will report back! I have a friend who swears by it.

I use a normal running belt right now and it gets annoying.. I run 60+ miles a week.

It is on amazon as well to order online and has good reviews as well..
    http://www.amazon.com/Level-Terrain-FB0114-BLK-M-FlipBelt-Medium/dp/B00JF9DWWU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-3&keywords=running+belt

Per a reviewer..

"Works very well for holding my Galaxy Note. before this i was having to wear an uncomfortable arm-strap when I ran with my phone. Now i have bluetooth headphones (LG) and I can store my phone in the flip belt along with my keys. I also like not advertising my huge phone while i am running. Seems to be made well and washes well so far. Will probably get another one in a different color."

"I used this on a marathon run and it worked really well. I just have one teency weency issue with it. I have a Note 3 cell phone and it does not slide in and out with ease. I have to stretch one of the holes open really wide and shove my phone in it. I know that it is partially due to the size of my phone but it could be easier with other phones."

12. morecowbell thread starter macrumors member

13. kevroc macrumors 6502

Yes, definitely interested as well, please keep us posted.

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

You should consider an iPod Nano. I think it's the best device for runners.

15. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

...Until you get into a situation where you need to make an emergency phone call.

And you appear to have skipped over the OP's statement about "using an alternate device when I run is not an option."

16. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I understand it might not be ideal for OP, but nothing beats a nano for running.

I've been running daily since May 2011 and have never encountered a situation where I had to make an "emergency call".

17. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Good for you. What does that mean exactly? That nobody EVER gets into an emergency situation while running, or that past history will predict the future?

I've owned firearms for years and I've never encountered a situation where I've had to shoot a home invader either, but that doesn't mean I'm not glad I have them around...

18. canvasback13 macrumors regular

I was on the fence till i considered running. definitely getting the 4.7 now.

19. chrisaster macrumors regular

20. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

By that same stupid logic, you should stop wearing a seatbelt and remove all smoke detectors from your residence.

21. mellofello macrumors 65816

I have the note 3 and spend a lot of time rinning and in the gym. I moved over to a nathan fanny pack, and will never go back to a arm band. It is small enough to be comfortable, but big enough to hold my phone and house or car key.

The real key to moving away from arm bands is going to blue tooth headphones. I use the Motorola s11 flex HD and can't recommend them enough. Solid 4-5 hour battery and water resistant enough that multiple downpours have yet to break them. They wrap around your head and are held firmly in place which I love vs. Having ear bud constantly falling out of your ears. I just set my playlist and can quickly skip tracks from the headphones.

Now I will say that a fanny pack and behind the ear headphones are far from a fashionable look, but I am not vain, and they are the most functional solutions.

Looking forward to getting a smart watch so I will really never need to dig out my phone again.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Definitely going to order the Flipbelt and give it a try. All I need it for is my phone and keys.

23. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Flip belt looks intriguing but it may still be too small for the 6+. FAQ says max width is 3" and the 6+ is 3.06" wide without a case.

24. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Back and I tried it out!
    First of it is very comfortable fabric, much better then the clip on running belt I have now! It is pretty easy to put on as well, you put it on like shorts since it is once piece of fabric.. Now onto the good stuff.. Luckily an employee had a note 3 I used as well as the cut out of the 5.5. The note 3 fit fine! It goes in easy and fits in snug with no bounce! The 5.5 plus cut out fits as well, obviously it does not have the depth of the real thing but it is as close as it gets. Over all I would give it a 5/5 and I ordered one on amazon as they only had hot pink in stock haha.

Oh and there is still a lot of space for keys and other stuff!

----------

Its very stretchy fabric. It will fit fine. I tested with a note 3 and it is perfect for it.