Russia Bans Access to Telegram Encrypted Messenger Service [Updated]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Apr 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A Russian law court has ordered that access to the Telegram encrypted messaging service should be blocked, according to Russian news agencies on Friday (via Reuters).

The development follows last week's news that Russia's media regulator had filed legal proceedings to block the app in the country because the company refused to enable state security services to access users' messages.

The Telegram platform allows people to communicate with each other using end-to-end encryption, meaning no-one - not even Telegram - has access to messages sent between users.

The app has over 200 million users globally. They include Kremlin staff, who use Telegram to coordinate conference calls with Vladimir Putin's spokesman. Many government officials also use the messenger app to communicate with media, according to Reuters.
    Telegram becomes the second global network after LinkedIn to be blocked in Russia. In 2016, a court found LinkedIn guilty of violating a law that requires companies holding Russian citizens' data to store it on servers within Russia.

Update 04/17: The Russian government has formally requested that Apple remove Telegram from its regional App Store in the country, reports Reuters.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Russia Bans Access to Telegram Encrypted Messenger Service [Updated]

2. Heineken macrumors 6502

Heineken

3. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Does this mean that other services still available in Russia specifically allow for Russian security services to eavesdrop? I’d like to explore the reverse implications of knowing that Telegram is banned. What services that include a one-to-one messenger aren’t banned? Lest we pretend those are not wiretapped?

4. imom macrumors regular

imom

Good point. Putin's fear of private communication, protests and even blogs speaks volumes about his vile dictatorship.

5. Sven11 Suspended

Signal is a lot better anyway and has censorship circumvention.

6. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Telegram has great cloud-syncing, instant and synchronised notifications across devices, GIF-integration etc.. They are both great, with their own pros and cons.

7. Sven11 Suspended

Yet Signal’s encryption is a lot better, it’s used by Edward Snowden and with Telegram being ISIS’ main communication platform it’s certainly much more under the radar of goverment agencies.

8. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

This is great.

Which means nothing if no one among your contacts uses it. Most of my contacts use Whatsapp unfortunately.

9. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

To be fair, Russia never said hello to free speech.;)

10. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Be interesting to know the number of Telegram vs Whatsapp users in Russia.
    Just curious to know why we don't see them chasing down WA.

11. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Now Vlad and staff will have to use the super secure FB Messenger or its sibling WhatsApp. Да? Нет? Doh!

12. Sven11 Suspended

The same can be said about Telegram.

On a serious note, nothing's gonna change about that with that mentality.

13. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

14. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

So is iMessage banned in Russia?

As far as I remember Apple saying, the messages are end to end encrypted and nobody has the keys even Apple.

15. Heineken macrumors 6502

Heineken

Good question.

16. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Until you backup your phone via iCloud in which case your backup contains all the messages from your phone encrypted with a key that Apple can unlock.

17. Fender2112 macrumors 65816

Fender2112

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

18. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Don’t worry. Russia is still far from being next China, or even North Korea.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And yet, the idiot in your avatar that you support loves Russia, is a Putin puppet and wants us to be more like his vile dictatorship.

20. Sven11 Suspended

Oh come on. I don't like Trump either (at all) but when did he ever do something that benefited Russia? Last time I checked he was threatening to attack them in Syria and risk starting WW3. The idea that Trump is in any way supportive of Russia is absurd and laughable.

21. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Wow. Most of the chat rooms I use in Telegram are Russian (seriously). I wonder how much their traffic will drop off.

22. manu chao macrumors 603

iMessage is much less of a threat to Putin as the market share of iPhones in Russia is significantly lower than the marketshare of mobile devices being able to run Telegram (the latter probably approaching 100% if we exclude non-smartphone phones).
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2018 ---
    Trump might not be supportive of Russia but he has way too much admiration for authoritarian leaders like Putin, Xi Jinping (and others) than is healthy for a democracy.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2018 ---
    In regard to guns, that's a good thing because way too much damage is done with guns by non-outlaws (from accidents, over suicides to use by mentally unstable people).

23. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

This changes whenever Apple gets around to actually releasing Messages on iCloud.

24. manu chao macrumors 603

They had decent free speech in most of the 1990s.

25. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

I don’t think a single contact of mine on Telegram is Russian, so this won’t affect me. Sucks for them though.