iPhone 7(+) S8 to 7 plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cuzo, Feb 10, 2018.

1. cuzo macrumors 6502a

Think it's wise?

I hate the narrowness of 18.9 and I hate rear fingerprint sensors but liggerslly everything else goes to the s8 give or take typing accuracy.

Think this is a wise move to go back to older tech?

Funny thing is the 7 plus is probably going to be supported longer.

I'm losing Bluetooth 5.0 and a lot of other things and going backwards but the iPhone imo is a more convenient communication device.

Even all the notifications on the lock screen isn't really wise nor smart everything is literally in front of your face.

I like the width and probably. Easier typing but I'm losing screen, give or. Take battery, SD card and more.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The 7 Plus really isn’t that “Old.” It will see at least four more years of iOS updates, shares a lot of similarities with the iPhone 8. It’s one of last model iPhones with Touch ID and overall is a solid device. I personally detest android, iOS is the only option for me, so I think it’s worth the transition.

3. cuzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good answer, the longer updates were also important. I will try to get one and sell my phone.

4. fred98tj macrumors 6502

5. nordique, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018

nordique macrumors 65816

Personally, I think going from the S8 to the 7 plus is like going back in time and is overall a downgrade but to each their own.

Sounds like you've justified the downgrade - go ahead and do whatever makes you happy with respect to having a phone.

iOS and Android are purely subjective. I've used both extensively and prefer each for certain things they do better...but they're 90% the same. They make calls you answer texts you check email you surf the web you have apps. Android only users have no clue about what makes iOS great, and iOS only users have no clue about what makes Android great. If you've used the latest versions of both, you know theyre both great so it's "what ever floats your boat" in that regard. (Although Oreo is less buggy than iOS 11 right now)

With respect to the hardware, sounds like the S8 is not your cup of tea. I think it's superior hardware to the 7 plus in every way outside of Geekbench but that's just me. Why not go for an iPhone X if you're itching for iOS ;) ? It's expensive sure but apple really hit it out of the park imo. My favorite smartphone right now.

6. cuzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bluetooth 5.0 can connect two devices at once.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It can connect to several not two. For instance, I can connect my AppleWatch, Airpods and connect to my aTV in the 7.

8. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Are you buying new iPhone 7 Plus? I went from the s8 to the X

9. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

I went from an s8+ to an iPhone 8 plus. Wife went from an s8 to an iPhone X. Both of us are thrilled.

There's no question the s8 screen looks far nicer. These are the things I missed the most when I sold my s8+:

No notification LED - You can easily miss a message or call, and won't know it until you turn the screen on. I got an Apple watch, so problem solved.

No micro SD card support - I keep all my music on a 128gb micro SD card in an older Android phone. 128gb 7+ is good, but the 8+ and X only come in 64/256.

No headphone jack. The dongle is ok, and wireless headphones are more common now. I have some high end wired head phones I like to use.

Very little customization available. Nothing even close to the awesome launchers available on Android such as Nova.

Charging takes an eternity. 2.5 hours or so for both phones. Fast charging isn't available on a 7+ as far as I know (this is my first iPhone)

Those are all things I've gotten used to. I still wish my phone was 128gb, but I learned my lesson and will use the iPhone upgrade program to get a bigger storage on my next one. I'd honestly say the 8+ is the best phone I've ever used. All it needed is an extra 5-800mah battery (3500 like the s8+) and it would be unstoppable. Even with capacity loss over time, it would probably take 4-5 years to see it degrade to a level that made it useless. iPhones nail standby, but many Android phones last longer during heavy use due to their significantly larger batteries.

Id give the s8+ an 8/10 and the 8+ a 9/10. You can't go wrong.

10. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

What software are you on?

11. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

The latest version of iOS

12. Closingracer macrumors 68040

As somebody who uses both iOS devices and Android and used both as phones as well I can say this is exactly the point but IF you have a lot of Apple devices I would say the experience is way better if you own an iPhone. I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad Pro 10.5 and I miss iMessage after trading my iPhone 7 in for a Note 8. Yeah I am living with it and for the most part fine with it I just miss the ease of use with using all apple products. Now I have to check my messages on my phone vs just opening up messages ap on my MacBook.

As far as hardware goes I hate the iPhone 7/8 and the plus series. I find the bezels on top and bottom to be bad which is why I went to an iPhone 7 after using a 6 plus then eventually a Note 8. I find the top and bottom bezels to be quite bad and a waste of space.

13. ultravegeta1981 macrumors 6502

ultravegeta1981

The bezelles experience is only for the look. Its not pvery practical to use at all. Had a samsing s8 and loved it but it wasnt practical to use.

Ps; love my iphone 8 spacegrey and the bezels.

14. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Oh I was gonna say you could jailbreak and customize all you want

15. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

I really don’t “need” that in my life anymore, but it’s crazy how locked down iOS is compared to android. I kinda like it to be honest.

16. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

So, why did you guys switch back to apple? I have the X now, as it is a great phone but I am becoming bored with iOS and am exploring going to samsung.

17. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Probably cause Touchwiz sucks. That’s the reason I went from s8 to iPhone X

18. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

To be honest, my wife really wanted an Apple Watch. I got her a watch and an X as a surprise. I was planning on buying a note 8 and selling my s8+. After she had her phone for a week, I wanted to try out iOS myself so I got an 8+ and a watch. I have never been one of those people who hates iOS or hates Android. I want something that works well and I enjoy it. At this point in my life Apple just works better for me. Everyone talks about how buggy iOS 11 is, but this is the smoothest experience I’ve ever had with a phone. I haven’t come across ANY bugs at all, besides my wife’s X showing usage and standby as the same. Not a big deal at all.

My plan was to trade my 8+ in on an X+, but I think I’m gonna stick with this phone for the long haul. I like a physical home button.

The S9/s9+ are about to be launched, but my excitement level is 0 right now.

19. snow755 macrumors 65816

snow755

i agreed if where get the samsung S9 this year it would be the 9 + over the normal S9 other i wise i get me a iphone 8 +

if you have a samsung S8 there no reason too get a samsung S9

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Some don’t upgrade annually, but we don’t know if there is a reason to not get an S9 if we don’t have the full specifications and details if the phone is not released yet.

21. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

I couldn’t stand the S8, sold it, and went back to a 5S until the X came out. I really missed iMessage and the Android alternatives were not good enough in my opinion. I was using two or three different apps for video and text.

22. nordique macrumors 65816

this is a very good point! The ecosystem is seamless and efficient.

I'm just happy that, iMessage aside, now a days one can mostly switch between android and iOS if one prefers And get a mostly comparable experience

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think Apples ecosystem is completely one of the main reasons why I like iOS in general. If you own an Apple Watch, iPad, iPhone, it’s amazing how they all sync together and completely convenient.

24. tatsuki macrumors member

tatsuki

I have a 7 and a s8+ One thing I have decided is I like the LCD displays better than Amoled. Speed wise both of them feel very fast with no lag. I would be perfectly happy to go to a 7+ from a S8 myself.

25. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

You might’ve figured this out by now, but that’s an indication that a process is preventing the phone from going properly to sleep, which has a minor impact on battery life. My friend’s X was doing that and it can be (mostly) fixed by doing a soft reset. Seems they’ve fixed it in iOS 11.3 beta as well.

Resetting the new models is a bit weird. Rapidly click the volume up button, then volume down, then hold the side button until it goes black and shows the Apple logo.