Sad death of auto pilot car

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by elf69, Jul 1, 2016.

1. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

You mean auto car pilot? Or auto pilot car passenger? Yes, sad though.

3. elf69 thread starter macrumors 65816

elf69

first ever automated car death.

White trailer the camera was not able to tell it from the sky.

Maybe they need IR or radar as well as visual.

Sadly took someone life to learn the mistake.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'm surprised they don't use that. I thought all the autodrive cars used radar to help the judge distance, size, velocity and trajectory of other objects.

5. elf69 thread starter macrumors 65816

elf69

they way well do but if so why did the tesla car radar not see the trailer and apply brakes.

The article says the camera could not tell the white trailer from the sky.

radar can surly?

6. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Are self drive cars already operating on public roadways?

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

8. elf69 thread starter macrumors 65816

elf69

agree my fiancee dad was truck driver he been in one or 2 scraps not his fault.

many never drive a truck again after such an event.

If he was watching movie then sorry more fool him as it not a perfect system yet.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This is the problem with automation, what happens with technical failure. Although cars travel at a fraction of the speed of airplanes, the demands for a car are one hundred fold, because instead of having a several mile cushion, you have as small as a 10' cushion, such as on a narrow two lane road, with opposite traffic, and up to 140mph closure. It's like depending on technology to thread the eye of the needle, and your life depending on what happens when there is a malfunction.

With peoples phone and movie distractions, being complacent, and not paying proper attention is a cause of accident rates going up. This will only make it worse, until they can perfect the technology, as in how do they keep the auto pilot car from killing you when it breaks and you are taking a nap. :rolleyes:

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Wasn't there a cartoon once about evolution, showed fish flipping onto the beach, becoming amphibian, becoming vertebrate, standing up, walking up side of mountain, topping it, then coming back down... losing upright stance, getting shorter legs, walking onto the beach... entering the water.... :confused:

Made me think we can't know where we're headed, really. Make the best of it and try to enjoy at least part of every day!

11. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Lots of disturbing details coming out in that crash. Very sad.

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I saw an article saying that its inevitable that self-driving cars will be programmed to sacrifice the "driver". If the computer has to choose between a single-car fatality and a multi-car pileup it will always decide to sacrifice the single driver.
    Welcome to the future.

13. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

Well that is scary as all hell....Can you give us the link?

14. cube macrumors G5

15. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Folks in TMC posted that MobileEye says that AEB using camera aren't designed to stop the car in a cross traffic situation.
    They also posit that the radar did see the truck, but the camera couldn't confirm and instead of slowing down probably issues a false positive and thus kept going instead of slamming on brakes.

16. cube, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016

cube macrumors G5

It seems he was watching Harry Potter.

My policy against movies on small screens is so right.

17. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

Telsa is claiming 130 million miles of auto-driving experience. As it happens 1 fatality per 200 million kilometres (~130 million miles) is the road fatality rate in most developed nations. Trials will need to go for much much longer before any claims about increased safety can be made.

18. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Tesla lacks the caution and depth of experience possessed by experienced auto manufacturers like Mercedes Benz. This "accident" is a reminder of that.

19. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Every review I have seen puts Tesla lane keeping assist ahead of Mercedes Benz. Do you have a link to a test that shows otherwise?

Generally speaking, Tesla isn't the only one that tells its customers that they need to pay attention when using LKS and TACC. It is just that the Tesla system tends to work so well folks stop paying attention.

Remember every one so far is using LV2 autonomy. Regardless of what Tesla calls their system. Self driving is LV4.

20. elf69 thread starter macrumors 65816

elf69

I read that too in an article about auto drive.
    sorry cannot recall where at moment.

It was something to do with reform of road laws for automated cars.

21. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm not sure why we need self driving cars but I'm all in favor of putting collision detection, lane detection, etc. safety devices in cars driven by people.

22. cube macrumors G5

The problem about buying a car since some years ago is that no brand has all the advanced safety systems.

23. gnasher729, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You probably read that on Slashdot, and that site is frankly overrun by idiots. Self driving cars will be programmed to avoid hitting things. They will give priority to avoiding small human-shaped objects and big heavy objects approaching you at speed. The scenarios that these idiots come up (a) don't happen in real life, and (b) most certainly don't happen with a self driving car that doesn't approach that kind of situation at excessive speeds.

The solution isn't to decide whom to sacrifice, the solution is to drive careful at reasonable speed to avoid the situation in the first place.

By the way, even what idiotic things are published on Slashdot, you misquoted it badly. The choice is supposed to be between driving your car into a ditch or driving it into a crowd of pedestrians. There was a multi-car (not just multi-car, but 110 or so cars) pileup in the UK recently, with not a single person killed. And the badly injured ones mostly people who left their car after it crashed. The safest way to hit another car is straight on from behind. If you ever get into a situation where a crash is unavoidable, you try to hit the other car as straight as possible so that the cars stay in a controlled straight line and don't crash into other traffic.

In the case of the Darwin award winner this discussion is about, he confused "auto pilot" (a feature that helps you driving a car) with "self driving". The car was not self driving, was never intended to be driven without an attentive driver, and the guy was frankly an idiot who could have killed someone else, and already almost got himself killed about a week earlier.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My son is turning 16 in a couple of months and is taking lessons now. I think there will be self driving cars in his lifetime.

25. elf69 thread starter macrumors 65816

elf69

Last night I saw a Tesla S in the flesh.

Was on dutch plates here in UK.

Looks very sexy on outside.