Sad Macbook Pro Buyer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by higgz, Feb 26, 2008.

1. higgz macrumors member

higgz

Hey guys I bought a macbook pro about 2-3 weeks ago tops...

I chose 2.6GHZ processor, 2G Ram, 200G@7200 rpm's HD, 15-inch glossy

I saw the new one with multi-touch came out recently... Should I be really dissappointed in my purchase?? I mean is there substantially differences besides the price drop and the Multi-touch? Mac pro's make me really sad or happier about my decision or what I could do, thanks.:confused:

2. mactastic1971 macrumors regular

mactastic1971

Dont be sad - you still have an awesome machine. :D

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

You have a fantastically nice machine. Be happy and upgrade to the new Unobtainium MBP in 4 years.

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I bought a 17" MBP last May and I still don't think the latest ones are enough of an update to give any thought to.

5. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz

Thanks guys I mean coming from someone on Linux/Windows I'm a conformed Mac forever... I absolutely love it, I am a Web Developer and Programmer graduating from college this may. Is there any huge difference(other than trackpad and some $) however in the newer MBP ?

6. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I love the MBA multitouch. It adds a lot to the notebook experience IMO. The processor bump isn't as big of a deal unless you plan to encode video. If SSE4 pans out as promised penryn gives a significant bump.

7. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz

nice yeah you got the 4GB too... i really wanted to get that but before the updgrade was like 600$ now it's only a 400$ option in the new one =(

Yeah I'm not downplaying the multitouch- i mean thats one of the main reasons why i'm so dissappointed... I noticed the processor is still upgradable to only 2.6 GHZ (that is same speed as mine)... however it is a significant bump in process speed though?

8. EricVT macrumors member

If you are really feeling buyer's remorse you could always sell your current machine on eBay and get back nearly what you paid for it probably. Most casual consumers on eBay aren't going to be aware of any recent updates to the product line this soon after they occur. You will have to pay the difference out of pocket, though!

You can set a safe "reserve" price on your auction where it won't be sold if it doesn't come to a certain amount so that you don't lose more than you are comfortable with.

9. mactastic1971 macrumors regular

mactastic1971

Dont worry about that - you can get 4G for alot less at crucial / owc .

10. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz

Well if there is a huge difference in the new chip? both 2.6GHZ?? I would consider doing that

is that an online store?

11. darfel macrumors member

Just my 2 cents, I don't upgrade anything until two revisions have passed. Otherwise you'll be chasing upgrades and be throwing away money. Ever think about your first car, "..man if I would have just fixed it, I would have saved $$$$"

You have a great machine, take care of it and plan on reselling on the next refresh.

12. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz

Very true that makes me feel better. I feel still a little bit though like this version is pretty much the final revision ya know? Like i bought a 2007 lancer evo, and the 2008 say for example comes with a stock better muffler and intake haha ;\

13. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I always buy my computers with the smallest amount of RAM possible and bump up to what I want from aftermarket suppliers. I paid less than $250 for my 4 GBs at the time, plus it left me with the OEM 1 GB stick to bump up my wife's MBP to 2 GB.

14. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz

Yeah I definitely feel you on that... I'm a little unfamiliar with MACs and haven't really looked into it much but is it easy to install ram myself? You order all of your stuff from crucial.com like everyone else talks about??? Originally I was like wow 600$ for just 2 more GB no way... what is that Scorpio spec you have on yours? (vid card?)

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You're not missing a thing...the current iteration of Multitouch Pad is pathetic; I might use the browser forward/back and that's it.

Same here 2.33 C2D and no compulsion to upgrade.

16. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz

Alright sweet...

17. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Higgz, you have a great machine there. If it is any consolation to you, I am very sure that this won't be the only update this year. If you really want a beefier machine, save up now, keep your eyes peeled before WWDC, back up your stuff a hard drive, and if we start talking about serious impending updates, sell your MBP and just pay the minor difference.

You're taking it rather well, keep it up...

Don't end up like this douche' bag
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=442494

18. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Your macbook pro is VERY capable to handle everything the current mbp can do. New MBP is a nice update, but it's not worth the upgrade if you already have a Santa Rosa mbp.

19. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz

Yeah I mean I feel that guys frustration with the $$ but hey I needed a nice CPU fast, and commenting with the other guy I would LOVE to return EVERYTHING i've ever bought from dell. I'm so happy with my mac after coming over from those brutal machines, it certainly does everything I want it do and more. I love my MBP I guess I was just a little sad because a lot of my friends warned me about a new one coming out that follow up with macs more frequently but I didn't think it would happen that soon. If it were 2 months like that other guy I wouldn't of even posted something you have to expect that! But oh well pointing myself wrong, I guess I should stop now, I just wasn't sure if there was a huge processing difference because of the work I do on it for developing. I can't wait to buy a new one next big upgrade =)

lol, Santa Rosa? Do you think I should upgrade to a 4GB Ram if i'm doing a lot of multi tasking? I mean coming from windows there is a HUGE difference and just 2GB of memory has been amazingly efficient even when severely multi tasking large projects

20. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I get my RAM at different places depending on the price at the time: 18004memory.com, newegg.com, etc.

The Scorpio 320 is a Western Digital internal drive I put in my MBP. It's a 5400 RPM 320 GB 2.5" drive and can be purchased online for about $200.

21. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Yeah the computer in your hands right now has the Santa Rosa chipset. If it also makes you feel any better, this Penryn was just a processor upgrade, and its just considered a "Santa Rosa Refresh". The upgrade you want to wait is the Montevina, which is a chipset upgrade, meaning new wifi/wimax drivers, HD capabilities, faster and smaller processor.

22. calvy macrumors 65816

I just bought this drive from newegg.com for 160 bucks (search the forums at slickdeals.net for scorpio and you'll find the thread that has the coupon for 20 bucks off) and I'm transferring my documents over to it now, looking forward to using it. It seems fast so far, OS X loaded in no time.

I also got 4GB of Patriot RAM from there for 70 bucks after rebate. I wish I had shopped around a bit more though on this one. I'm having to figure out how to get both rebates even though it's a limit of one per household.

And to the original poster, I just bought my Macbook Pro last Thursday. The rebate convinced me to do it, even though I knew that rebate was a sure sign new Macbook Pros were on the way. Amazon dropped the price on theirs today, and I price matched and already got my refund. So all in all, I'm happy. I am not that wowed by the multitouch touchpad. It's kind of cool, but I can certainly live without it. Processor upgrade is not a huge deal to me, and I don't think there were any other updates compared to what I bought.

23. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz

newegg.com cheaper than crucial?? Is installing ram yourself just as easy on mac?

24. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

RAM installation is easy-peasy.

25. higgz thread starter macrumors member

higgz

easy peasy gweezy sauce!?!?!? sweet k, I haven't even turned this baby over yet haha ;)