Sad Realisation:: MBP design now looks old.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoFoT9, Sep 23, 2008.

1. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey all,

so about a month ago I came to a sad sad realisation.. the MBP's now look square, 'uncool' and just plain old! the design has been used by apple pretty much since the powerbooks, and its starting to show its age. i loved it when it came out, even when the MBP's came out! but these days, i just dont know... they need a pretty big upgrade...

whats everyone elses opinion on this??

:eek:

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I think a cool new design would be cool and new...

But I still love my MBP just how it is ... and it still makes people go 'wow'

3. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea its still better then some of the stuff out on offer these days, but now when i look at it, it reminds me of the ibooks...old

aha

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ive still got comments on how good my MacBook Pro looks recently. but yeh the design it out of date. the plastic edges and visible screws need to go, it needs a hook-less magnetic latch and a more rounded bevel like the iPods and MacBook Air.

5. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that would be awsome, to match the look of the iMacs and everything else (new ipod's included with that).

i wouldnt mind a MBP that looks like the imacs (the one where the black is around the screen), i would be fine with that. im sure apple would come up with something amazing though!

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm more concerned with how it functions.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

arrrghhhh! i would hate if it had black around the screen like the iMacs. i think that was only added to reduce the apparent size of the chin. i would love for the MBP and MBs to look like this.

[​IMG]

8. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well thats fair enough. i dare say there would be MANY people that are concerned with how their computer looks though

9. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol would you stop following me!!!

ok now that looks sexy!!!! gimmie gimmie!

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ hey im on Forum Spy and you stick out cos youre Australian! :p

were are you going to next? :shiftyeyes:

11. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

back to my other thread :p

what is forum spy??

oh btw i am over the look of my MBP now lol, almost as much as my dad's ibook :eek:

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

look in the middle of the beige coloured bar at the top of the page. all the cool kids are doing it!

13. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahahaha i figured!! its amazing. thanks heeps!

14. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I still look at my 12" PB and think, wow that's a good looking computer - even though it's seven years old.

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Challenge: Find me one laptop that looks nicer

16. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i love those computers!! really wanted one too bad apple swapped to intel.

ok very good point.. ill give u that one.

17. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I like these, they look better than my MBP (IMO). Fanboys mileage will vary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics at http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=525

18. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ummm...yeah ok, and the OP was complaining because the MBP was too square:p

anyone else?

19. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

It's not about fanboy-ism (does this word exist?), it's about simplicity. This notebook surely looks better than the rest of Asus notebooks, but it still has too many details to look so clean and simple as Macs do.

And as to a notebook looking better than MBP - I think the mock-up earlier in this thread is exactly this.

20. daleremote macrumors member

I remember when the titanium G4 PowerBooks came out, everyone at work was all like OOOHH, AAAHH. I still have my 550 MHz one.

If you start with that model and look at all subsequent notebook designs, each redesign reveals a constant process of removing extraneous details. My old PowerBook has an indentation around the trackpad. My MacBook Pro has no line around the trackpad. The MBP's lid is basically featureless, no lines at all.

The question is where do you go when you've already reduced your design to the bare essentials? How do you make something look new / fresh / contemporary (without it turning into a cluttered, ugly PC laptop, full of different shades of gray and black, ridges and panels, stickers and ports everywhere)?

The MacBook Air partially answered this question, but I always look forward to what Apple will come up with.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Looks old in comparison to what? If you want a "cool" or "fresh" design because you think this one is flawed, get a PC; that's not what professional Macs are about.

An old post of mine is relevant here. I'll repost it:

Design is absolutely one of Apple's top priorities. Occasionally, power takes a backseat to a product's design. Case (no pun intended) in point: the iMac. It's a desktop that uses laptop parts because the case is too small to proffer adequate cooling. I'm not saying that Apple doesn't care about the design of their professional computers; heavens, no. All that I am trying to say is that when it comes to personal computers, function follows form, and when it comes to professional computers, form follows function.

Put another way, Apple compromises potential power in the MacBooks and iMacs in exchange for kick-awesome cases. For the MacBook, that means no dedicated graphics, and for the iMac that means laptop parts.

With their professional machines, Apple has been shown to care less about updating their designs, as looking good is not their main purpose. Certainly, the shells of both the Mac Pro and the MacBook Pro are impeccably designed, and as they have worked so well for every technology that has been thrown at them, Apple has not seen fit to change them. This is why the MacBook Pro still uses what is arguably the exact case as the aluminum PowerBook G4 from six and a half years ago, and the Mac Pro uses a case that is almost six years old. The primary goal of Apple's professional machines is to provide enormous amounts of power while fulfilling the secondary goal of looking good.

This is the distinction that I am trying to make in the argument for the necessity of a MacBook Pro case redesign. I am very open to little enhancements, but do not want to see large amounts of R&D spent on a total redesign of a case that has stood the test of time for years.

I hope that this clarifies my reasoning why a case redesign for redesign's sake is not the purpose of the MacBook Pro.

22. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

23. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I agree.

24. dimme macrumors 65816

We at least it does not look like a think pad!

25. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I'm now on my third Aluminum portable, and it looks like I've had the same computer for 5 years. A new look would interest me, but if my next MBP looks the same as this one, I'll still be happy.