Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Safari 3.0.4 Beta for Windows

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Alongside the Mac OS X 10.4.11 updates today, Apple also released a new beta of Safari for Windows as detailed in this tech note.

The latest Safari beta for Windows incorporates a number of stability, performance and security improvements. A number of new features are detailed as well, including:

- Includes an additional font smoothing option ("standard)
- Adds International text input methods
- Adds cookie management
- Adds spell checking and grammar checking
- New keyboard shortcuts

Apple also incorporated Safari 3 with the Mac OS X 10.4.11 update, bringing the final version of Safari 3 to Tiger users. Apple first released Safari for Windows in June at WWDC 2007.

Download link: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Article Link

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's nice that Apple pushed Safari 3 final to Tiger. I mean it RAN on Tiger so was there a doubt that it wouldn't go final?

It'll be time for Windows too. :p

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I wonder how many Windows users actually use Safari now though. Any official figures ?

Has this latest beta removed some of the Mac-centric shortcuts and stuff like that. I haven't used Safari for Windows since June and I recall it was just a photo copy job of the Mac version back then.

Is it snappier ?!

Comment

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
I am glad to see the spell checker added. Safari is my favorite browser, so having it in Xp is nice. Hope some of the bugs i reported were addressed. Good to see "the best Browser" back it's stuff up. The find feature is also great BTW.

Comment

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Well, about time they added the spell checker for windows. It is a huge reason why I refused to even conisider using Safria for windows. Now I may be willing to play around with it. Fire fox will stay my main browser for a long time to come.

Comment

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Ummmm ...

I'm sorry, while I appreciate the attempt on Apple's part; Safari on Windows just doesn't "look" good.

I think the browser itself functions fine, but in the grand scheme of things it just doesn't look "Appelish" or rather doesn't fit in the Windows OS - it stands out and does so uglyishly (I know, not a word).

But as long as it works I guess ...

Comment

sief

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
I've been using Safari on XP since Apple debuted the beta for XP. Safari 3 looks much better and I love it so far. Thanks Apple.

Comment

Mekgek

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
I really don't understand why apple is wasting their time developing safari for windows...whats their goal?

Windows users already have firefox and IE7, both decent browsers, there's no need for safari.

Maybe to sync certain settings to the iPhone?

Comment

MattyP30

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
I really don't understand why apple is wasting their time developing safari for windows...whats their goal?

Windows users already have firefox and IE7, both decent browsers, there's no need for safari.

Maybe to sync certain settings to the iPhone?

its easy to see their goal!

they want windows users to use more and more apple software - its a way of introducing themselves to the uninitiated windows users - and then hopefully they will like it so much that they switch to a mac increasing sales etc

Comment

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I wonder how many Windows users actually use Safari now though. Any official figures ?

I don't know a single person (outside these forums) who uses Safari for Windows. Most seem to go 'oh look there's a browser from Apple - install, try, uninstall'.

Comment

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I don't know a single person (outside these forums) who uses Safari for Windows. Most seem to go 'oh look there's a browser from Apple - install, try, uninstall'.

:eek: I did that. I prefer Firefox in Windows. But I use Safari in Leopard :)

Comment

bête noire

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2004

One of their goals is to provide a way for Windows-based businesses to test their HTML on Safari. This means we get less web sites that fail to load properly because they've only been tested on IE.

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Standard font smoothing, eh? I guess this means they finally caved and allowed people to let it mangle fonts the Windows way?

Comment

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Well, it's about time they added the spell checker for windows Windows. It is a huge reason why I refused to even conisider consider using Safria Safari for windows Windows. Now I may be willing to play around with it. Fire fox Firefox will stay my main browser for a long time to come.

You don't need no dang computer spell checker/grammar checker when you got yer buddies at MacRumors forums happy to hep you out!

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I hope Apple eventually builds bookmark syncing to Safari on Windows into Safari on Windows. That'd be useful to have, to keep your Windows part of your life in line with your Mac part. A simple preference setting would be all it takes (and of course coding the back-end, but you don't see that so it's as if it's just a new preference setting).

Comment

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
I like using Safari when I'm using Windows, just because the shortcuts are very similar to the OS X version. Unfortunately this means remembering to use the Ctrl key instead of the Cmd key, but oh well :( I think I was one of the few who actually liked the font smoothing. Oh well. It looked purdy.

Just on an interesting side note..

Windows is snappier now.

Comment

MacAodh

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
Dublin, Eire
Can anybody compare Safari with Camino? Which would you use and why?

I used Camino in Tiger but when i switched to Leopard i began to use Safari. I used Camino because it was faster loading and loading webpages but now in leopard Safari loads just as quick and loads webpages just as quick too. Also, the "make a widget" future is a hell of a lot handier then i expected it to be as well as quite a few webpages now playing much nicer with Safari then with Camino (for example my online banking, Gmail - GoogleChat, and a few web 2.0 pages too...) Plus it did drive me nuts the way pdf's would download rather then open with Camino

To be honest i like Camino because it's open source and Safari because it fits into Leopard better. All the benefits that made me use Camino in Tiger have been fixed by Safari in Leopard

By the way, Safari on windows is S**t in my opinion although i haven't used the latest beta. Just seams not to play well with the whole windows thing...

Comment

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
glad that they got the final for Tiger, and that they are still improving the windows version. now if only i could install it here at work....

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.