Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
The "loading" tab next to the address bar looks really cool. As well as the Top Sites thing - I'm not sure if it existed before but I've never seen it on the older Safari.

Geez, how on earth can you actually like the stupid and pretty much useless "Loading" bar, when the old blue bar was so much better looking and it actually served its purpose in informing you about the loading progress!

TooFastForLove

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Canada
My Bluetooth preferences are now hidden after doing this update / restarting. My mouse and keyboard don't work now.

Wonderful.

UPDATE: It's telling me I don't have a Bluetooth module installed. What the hell is this??!?! I've been using my Apple BT keyboard / mouse for 2 years!!

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Everything seems to be working great for me after the update, same as before. As long as nothing is broken in the process, I'm all for updates...especially security related ones. ;)

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I really hope this improves Safari's stability... I've had way more crashes with Safari 4 than I ever did with Safari 3:(

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
It update the frameworks that is used by many other applications, so to make sure every app is working fine, the update is required.

Correct, on Windows Safari is “just a browser” (hence no restart) on Mac OS X and iPhone OS it is a system wide framework.

Im on snow leopard and when I downloaded it... and tried to install it said I can't because 10.5.8 is required
Is it just my eyesight, or have the close/minimise/maximise widgets been tweaked again in Snow Leopard.

Purple theme? I'm not seeing any purple.
Mine is orange.

freesonwang

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2009
Sigh...just when Safari was good enough for me to use it (Glims and SafariBlock), they take out that cool in-URL progress bar. I still really miss it.

Does anyone have any remote reason why a loading button would be better than a progress bar? I was thinking it might up some kind of performance of the browser, but I think most people would sacrifice a microsecond of performance for the progress bar back. Besides, with a progress bar (and how human psychology works) the browser felt faster.

Meh.

Marcus263

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I'm not sure if this was there before, but Top Sites Zooms In and Out when you click on the button respectively.

donwlarson

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
San Diego, CA
Won't Open Local Web Files with .cfm extension

Ever since 4.0.1 and now also 4.0.2, Safari won't open a local web page on my hard drive if the extension is .cfm. If I change the extension, to .htm, it will open.

Safari creates a blank page and opens a Finder window to display the local .cfm file. I then am forced to use another browser like Firefox, just to open a local file with that .cfm extension.

This used to work even up to the Safari 4.0 beta.

I previously posted this issue on the Apple Discussion site, but no answer there that works.

I sent a bug report to Apple when this problem first appeared, but it is not fixed yet. :(

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Am I the only one that feels a restart should not be necessary for a browser update?

VinitaBoy

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2007
@BRLawyer

"I've discovered that the crashes I was having were caused by outdated plugins or input managers . . . ."

You're right on, BRL. Every time I read these infantile "Safari is so-o-o-o-o unstable and crashy . . ." posts I know for a fact that one or more plugins are the culprits. If the people who created these cute little add-ons would simply join the ADG (Apple Developers Group)--and thereby work with the latest and greatest builds--99.99% of such erroneous reports would disappear overnight.

I've never had Safari crash on my four Macs. Not once. But, then again, I don't "do" third-party plugins/add-ons from untrained and uncertified amateur developers.

I'm just sayin' . . . .

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Geez, how on earth can you actually like the stupid and pretty much useless "Loading" bar, when the old blue bar was so much better looking and it actually served its purpose in informing you about the loading progress!

my biggest issue with the loading bar is that it relocated the Stop/Refresh button. no longer is it a nice large target next to the forward/back buttons but a tiny little thing tucked into the corner of the address bar. it's annoying having to reprogram my muscle memory... yes I know there are keyboard shortcuts, and I use them. but it's nice having the other option be convenient

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
yeah, weird purple metallic look - i wonder if this is a hint of what snow leopard will look like .. i like the reflections with the tabs.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
Thanks. Installed in less than a minute. Requires restart. Works fine. Haven't noticed much difference.

insocal

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Blue Progress Bar

Can we PLEASE get the blue progress bar back? Is there some kind of TERMINAL COMMAND you can enter to get it back?

I don't know why they'd take away something so MAC and make it look so PC now.

Half the time, I don't even know if the page is loading or refreshing because the blue bar isn't there.

:(

Ultimatetone

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
Correct, on Windows Safari is “just a browser” (hence no restart)
on Mac OS X and iPhone OS it is a system wide framework.

So......should we expect an iPhone Safari update, too?

(or will this be part of an iPhone OS 3.xx update?)

Ultimatetone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.