Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xeex

macrumors member
May 22, 2006
yep, safari and other real mac products will go into oblivion as we can see, quoting Jobs himself: Desktops will disappear. So they mac slowly will become
a vodafone of the world.

Thats is really a sad day, because iphone makers forget, one still needs a desktop and stable software to create something for gimmick called Iphone.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
yep, safari and other real mac products will go into oblivion as we can see, quoting Jobs himself: Desktops will disappear. So they mac slowly will become
a vodafone of the world.

Thats is really a sad day, because iphone makers forget, one still needs a desktop and stable software to create something for gimmick called Iphone.

Do you really believe this what you wrote? Or is this just a momentary rant?
:confused:

Or you just like the drama?

shadygrove

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
a vodafone of the world.

Lol..that's not what he said.

He said (with paraphrasing), "PC's are like trucks, and most of don't need a truck. Trucks will always be around, but for most us (most of the time) we don't need one." I completely agree with him. I am a developer and anytime I am not working, I could do everything I need on an iPad (not a pc gamer).

xeex

macrumors member
May 22, 2006

He said (with paraphrasing), "PC's are like trucks, and most of don't need a truck. Trucks will always be around, but for most us (most of the time) we don't need one." I completely agree with him. I am a developer and anytime I am not working, I could do everything I need on an iPad (not a pc gamer).

Wow, so what are those great apps that you have build using Ipad?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007

If Steve really believed that wouldn't the iPad have been designed to run all on its own instead of requiring a desktop or notebook to function? If anything, it should be a dock to the iPhone, but it cannot because it needs to be docked itself. I see no function in having a monitor/keyboard dock for the iPad when I ultimately STILL have to plug it into a Mac or PC with its own monitor, keyboard and larger hard drive.

What I CAN believe is that Steve thinks "desktops" are dinosaurs and so eventually the iMac will be gone and all you will have are notebooks and possibly a "professional" tower like the Mac Pro for the few professionals out there that Apple might still support (I emphasize "might" because their support for professional features and software seems to be sliding in recent years and you'll note how the Mac Pro is getting to be terribly out of date and the price is definitely way too high for what you get a this point). Instead of seeing updates to Final Cut Pro, Steve has recently talked about an update for a "consumer" version. I recently bought Logic 9.1 for my Sept. era 2008 MBP and I'm using both Firewire 400 and USB 2.0 ports to connect a Midi-Man and Pre-Sonus to it (definitely just a home studio setup with 3-4 connected instruments at any given time), but I'd need a FW800 to 400 adapter to even use it with a newer MBP). Will Logic 9.1 get updated to Logic 10 or will they just update Logic Express to 10 and Garage Band and figure "good enough for the consumers who represent 90% of our market" and say the heck with regular updates to their pro products?

I'm just afraid that Steve is looking with wide eyes toward the masses with phones and pads and iPods (i.e. smart computer gadgets) instead of "computers" which to me are still desktops and notebooks running full versions of the operating system. Heck, a netbook is powerful enough for "daily use" of mass consumers who aren't playing games and I don't see Apple offering one of those as alternative to the iPad for those that only need ONE computing device (i.e. again you have to dock the iPad to an actual "computer" to activate/update it). I guess he's hoping you will buy a Macbook AND an iPad and then just not use the Macbook very much??? I just don't get it. They could have had an iPad with a larger hard drive option that doesn't need docked to anything or that could at least dock to an external hard drive. But I guess it would have memory problems since it's pretty limited at 500MB?

Frankly, I hope this assessment is wrong. I think OSX is still the better OS "overall" (gaming excepted at the moment, especially given Apple's limited GPU options) to Windows or Linux, but if they drop the ball by putting all of their resources into iPhone OS, it will eventually get passed up in the future. Windows7 is already a big leap forward from the dysfunctional Vista launch. The sad part is that Apple clearly has the monetary resources to hire enough people to keep both divisions running full steam ahead. Steve implying that resources are being funneled into the iPhone "this year" is a sorry excuse for a company that at least briefly passed up Microsoft in monetary gains. Hire a couple dozen programmers and a few more hardware designers and Apple wouldn't be short and wouldn't have to make excuses. But then perhaps it's all part of a plan to eventually (in 5-10 years?) to eliminate those lines and replace them with a "more powerful" iPhone OS? Some would say that's crazy, but some days I think Steve is pretty far out there himself in his "vision" for the future. Having a huge hit in the iPhone probably only encourages him to keep going in that direction.

Personally, I still use my two desktops 80% of the time and my MBP gets used mostly for video editing and now music composition (the tiny netbook I got cheap from Dell gets used for trips). Daily surfing duties are done by a rather "old" (but updated) PowerMac and it's "good enough" for those things and even runs my whole house video/audio system just fine as well (the PC and MBP have to encode the videos, though as the PowerMac is too slow there). I don't see this situation changing any time soon. I don't want to use a tiny screen and trackpad or even a touch screen to surf. It's uncomfortable and I have some carpal tunnel type symptoms as it is. I need a large ergonomic setup to ease symptoms, not adding "texting thumb syndrome" to the list of my ailments caused from the computer age (i.e. I don't even use my iPod Touch most of the time for any kind of surfing, etc.; it gets mostly used as a high-tech remote for my whole house system or playing music on the go). It's just too small and uncomfortable for more than just short sessions and the iPad won't fit in my pocket so I might as well use a fully functional netbook (which also cost me half the price and with a lot more memory and storage and even a camera!)

shadygrove

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010

He said (with paraphrasing), "PC's are like trucks, and most of don't need a truck. Trucks will always be around, but for most us (most of the time) we don't need one." I completely agree with him. I am a developer and anytime I am NOT WORKING, I could do everything I need on an iPad (not a pc gamer).

Wow, so what are those great apps that you have build using Ipad?

Re read what I said, then what you said.

shadygrove

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
If Steve really believed that wouldn't the iPad have been designed to run all on its own instead of requiring a desktop or notebook to function?

They will fix this in later revisions, and this is also one of the biggest draw backs about the device IMO. But since I have a nice computer, it doesn't bother me.

I guess he's hoping you will buy a Macbook AND an iPad and then just not use the Macbook very much??? I just don't get it. They could have had an iPad with a larger hard drive option that doesn't need docked to anything or that could at least dock to an external hard drive. But I guess it would have memory problems since it's pretty limited at 500MB?

This is exactly what I want to do. I want to have 3g (and WiFi) internet with me everywhere I go when the internet is desired. I don't want an additional contract for the internet so getting a $60 data plan is unrealistic for me as little as I am away from WiFi. If I have an iPad, that means I can carry a $630 device everywhere instead of a $2700 computer (like my new one). Also the portability and form factor play a huge role into me buying the device.

Nicolas Cage

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
Looks like Apple's announced Safari 5 but not released it yet, so here are a couple more shots in the mean time.
DN5Rl.jpg

6LWrp.jpg

The extension system appears to be somewhat like Chrome's in scope. (I haven't tried making one, as I don't have API documentation. It looks like you should be able to do Greasemonkey-like and Stylish-like things even without any API, though.) No native code, as far as I can tell, and it looks like it requires a "developer certificate" (maybe extensions will require Apple approval?).

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
This is exactly what I want to do. I want to have 3g (and WiFi) internet with me everywhere I go when the internet is desired. I don't want an additional contract for the internet so getting a $60 data plan is unrealistic for me as little as I am away from WiFi. If I have an iPad, that means I can carry a $630 device everywhere instead of a $2700 computer (like my new one). Also the portability and form factor play a huge role into me buying the device.

I would like a data only 3G plan myself, but seeing as AT&T just dropped the unlimited $29 a month deal (2GB is simply unacceptable, IMO), I guess it doesn't matter that I decided against an iPad and got a Dell Netbook instead (it had a 3G card option for it as well, but I'm not sure I could get a data only plan for it). Actually, an iPod Touch with a 3G data only plan might interest me if they could resture the unlimited data rate option. I really like being able to carry an internet connection around in my pocket, but WiFi only isn't terribly useful in some environments (usually ok on vacations at the hotel at least), but I have no interest in a high priced voice plan since I don't talk that much on the phone (I have a pre-paid cell phone which gives me 1000 minutes a year for $100 with rollover and I almost always have minutes to rollover each year; no monthly plan on Earth can come close to that price/rate). Data might be worth $30 a month to me, but I want flexibility as well (e.g. if I had it on an iPhone or iPod Touch, I'd want to be able to use it on an iPad or Netbook as well, not have to maintain two separate accounts when I'm only going to use one device at a time). Maybe some day these things will be more flexible. For now, I'd rather go without and save my money for a new notebook in a few years (a standard iPhone plan would pay for a brand new 15" MBP about every 2.5 years. I doubt most people think too much about that fact when they buy one.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I would like a data only 3G plan myself, but seeing as AT&T just dropped the unlimited $29 a month deal (2GB is simply unacceptable, IMO), I guess it doesn't matter that I decided against an iPad and got a Dell Netbook instead (it had a 3G card option for it as well, but I'm not sure I could get a data only plan for it). Actually, an iPod Touch with a 3G data only plan might interest me if they could resture the unlimited data rate option. I really like being able to carry an internet connection around in my pocket, but WiFi only isn't terribly useful in some environments (usually ok on vacations at the hotel at least), but I have no interest in a high priced voice plan since I don't talk that much on the phone (I have a pre-paid cell phone which gives me 1000 minutes a year for $100 with rollover and I almost always have minutes to rollover each year; no monthly plan on Earth can come close to that price/rate). Data might be worth $30 a month to me, but I want flexibility as well (e.g. if I had it on an iPhone or iPod Touch, I'd want to be able to use it on an iPad or Netbook as well, not have to maintain two separate accounts when I'm only going to use one device at a time). Maybe some day these things will be more flexible.
That sounds a lot like me. I'd really love a iPod Touch 3G and no contract data. What pre-piad provider do you have? It sounds like my T-Mobile plan. The prepaid minutes roll over and you only pay once a year! It's great!

For now, I'd rather go without and save my money for a new notebook in a few years (a standard iPhone plan would pay for a brand new 15" MBP about every 2.5 years. I doubt most people think too much about that fact when they buy one.
Yikes! I'd much rather pay for new hardware than a data service.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Looks like Apple's announced Safari 5 but not released it yet, so here are a couple more shots in the mean time.
DN5Rl.jpg

6LWrp.jpg

The extension system appears to be somewhat like Chrome's in scope. (I haven't tried making one, as I don't have API documentation. It looks like you should be able to do Greasemonkey-like and Stylish-like things even without any API, though.) No native code, as far as I can tell, and it looks like it requires a "developer certificate" (maybe extensions will require Apple approval?).

I don't see extensions at all in safari prefs. Should I?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
That sounds a lot like me. I'd really love a iPod Touch 3G and no contract data. What pre-piad provider do you have? It sounds like my T-Mobile plan. The prepaid minutes roll over and you only pay once a year! It's great!

Oddly enough, it's AT&T. Go figure, eh? I do wonder if I could transfer my SIM card into a hacked iPhone and get the prepaid phone minutes to work, but it wouldn't do me much good if I had no data service. It'd be like an iPod Touch that has phone service and a camera in a way, but if I used ANY data at all it would cost me a fortune at their insanely data rates they have for pre-paid use. It's so bad it makes me think of 56k modem days or something when bandwidth was more of a dream than anything else. I download HD rentals with ATV at home, among other things. I must use 50+ GB a month some months. If "unlimited" at home meant AT&T's definition of "unlimited", I'd be in big trouble.

They only appear if you enable the developer menu option in the advanced preference section. I'm guessing they figure it won't be ready for casual user use until 5.1 or so. I also don't see any indication of the rumored tab improvements. I still see no new options. The lack of tab control options is one of the main things that keeps me coming back to Firefox despite it being slower at many things. I also don't like Safari's download window thingy. Download status bar is awesome on Firefox. I also like having the forecast bar enhanced add-on so I can view weather reports and radar from the browser (WeatherDock is OK in OSX for the menu bar, but doesn't predict nearly as far into the future and has no radar). Maybe Safari will get some decent extensions in the future to compete with Firefox. Chrome isn't an option on my day-to-day Mac since it's PPC (i.e. my home audio/video server is on 24/7 and always in my den on a comfortable desk/chair setup so it's the obvious choice for quick browsing; my PC is usually off and my MBP is now often in another room sitting on my Roland piano with all my other recording equipment and guitar/mic setup for writing music with Logic 9.1. It's not too comfortable for browsing on a piano, it turns out).

javacool

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010

To Enable Extensions:

1.) Open Safari Preferences
2.) Click on "Advanced"
3.) Check the box next to "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
4.) Click the new "Develop" menu in the menu bar
5.) Click "Enable Extensions" (if unchecked, which it is by default in this build of Safari)

You should then be able to see the "Extensions" area in Safari Preferences.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
To Enable Extensions:

1.) Open Safari Preferences
2.) Click on "Advanced"
3.) Check the box next to "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
4.) Click the new "Develop" menu in the menu bar
5.) Click "Enable Extensions" (if unchecked, which it is by default in this build of Safari)

You should then be able to see the "Extensions" area in Safari Preferences.

Thanks.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Before you go to far I'd like to suggest that you get familiar with Apples webkit site and the nightly builds. Spend some time reading there then come back and deny that Safari is using hardware acceleration.

Believe what you want but there is more to graphics drivers than OpenGL. Further Apple has been steadily improving acceleration in core animation and other frameworks. It is about time too because iPhone OS has been making better use of the GPU than Mac OS has.

You can't get the frame rates for some features in HTML 5 without hardware acceleration. This is true across all browser. If you spent a little time following browser development you would know this.

The BS comes from implying that the improvements to OpenGL was for STEAM. Apple has many things they want to improve in Mac OS to support many different user needs.

OK

Do realize that you lost all credibility in this forum. Apple has been steadily increasing performance via acceleration on the GPU for a couple of years now.

Dave
The nitro javascript engine, which increases javascript speed doesnt work for PowerPC AFAIK. Its similar to Google's V8 which compiles javacript to machine code to make it run faster.... but for that to happen you have to implement an assembler which does this for the platform needed - you cant just write one in Xcode and check the build for Intel and PowerPC box. We're talking about low-level processor-specific instructions. Thats a lot of work, and you wont do that for a technology you arent shipping anymore.

This is why there is no Chrome for PowerPC Macs... and this is why PowerPC will not be getting an increase in Javacript speed with Safari 5.

If HTML 5 implementation relies on Intel-specific code, then there will be no HTML 5 for PowerPC either.

So how does it feel being completely wrong? ;)

Safari 5 supports PowerPC.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
After using Safari 5 for a couple hours I went straight back to Chrome. Chrome is still way faster along with having a better interface.

Kieranic

Apr 23, 2010
What's so bad about Bing? I've tried it out, and while it's no Scroogle it's pretty damn good at what it does.

I've tried it while doing school projects and I find Google to be (usually) WAY better and finds the results I need quicker. Bing usually comes up with stuff that isn't irrelevant (Not always, but sometimes).

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I've tried it while doing school projects and I find Google to be (usually) WAY better and finds the results I need quicker. Bing usually comes up with stuff that isn't irrelevant (Not always, but sometimes).

That was a vague response. Google and Bing are meant for slightly different work flows. Google is outright search, Bing lets you narrow things down in an intelligent and clever way. If I were doing research Bing would be more reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.