Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
exactly.

Example: I want to go to youtube.com.

I start tying y-o-u.. and it wants to send me to macrumors.com because "you Care About" comes up as top hit!!!

EXACTLLLLLY! at least I'm not the only one being crazily annoyed about this problem.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was going off the OP, my bad. ;) Still, no need to be so negative. :cool:

No one is being negative. I just stated fact. If a solution had been found in the past week, someone would have posted it. Nothing negative about that.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
No one is being negative. I just stated fact. If a solution had been found in the past week, someone would have posted it. Nothing negative about that.

Or they could be selfish and want to keep the secret to themselves. But by me asking they feel guilty for holding such valuable information back that they feel compelled to post it on the forums? :p

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
The most ironic one I've seen is if I type in "apple" and press enter it brings me to the MR homepage.

At least the most recent update improved stability... but the address bar is still really annoying me.

simplebeep

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
SLC
… What is the appropriate channel through which to provide user feedback to Apple? So far I have found in the Safari menu the option “Report Bugs to Apple”… (Of course, I can also imagine that those people would have no input as to design decisions, so a better channel would be preferable.)

Actually, when Safari 4 came out and they removed the URL/Progress bar in favor of that god-awful Loading spinner, I *did* file a (strongly worded) bug report about it. Safari 5 comes out and… shebam!… the old progress bar is back! So if enough people do the same this time around, well, it’s worth a try.

mark.dillon

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Me Too

Just wanted to add my name to the list of people annoyed by this feature. Send Apple feedback about it already. This has got to be the least thought out feature I have ever seen in a browser. :apple:

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
exactly.

Example: I want to go to youtube.com.

I start tying y-o-u.. and it wants to send me to macrumors.com because "you Care About" comes up as top hit!!!

to go to youtube.com i have to type until "yout" until it recommends youtube.com, while in the past I could punch in "y" and hit enter.

This is awful!

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!! OMG I thought it was just me. I downgraded to safari 4 just because of that.

dagaz

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2006
The most ironic one I've seen is if I type in "apple" and press enter it brings me to the MR homepage.
If you press the delete key after you type 'apple' and then hit enter it will take you to apple.com. The delete key gets rid of the autocomplete - at least until you type the next letter.

bobaikovich

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari5IncludeFancyURLCompletionList -bool NO

G-g-g-iddy up! :D

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari5IncludeFancyURLCompletionList -bool NO

Really? Anyone willing to try this before I blow up my safari testing it out? Also, I was on board w/ autocomplete at first, but I've grown tired of it...

space1nvaders

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Autocomplete

The problem with it is that it gets in the way of your normal typing. If I want to type youtube.com, I don't want to have to press Delete and after typing yo and then have to type the whole word. It actually takes longer.

They are mixing whether you want to type a domain name or some kind of search (which should be in the Search box).

The addressbar is supposed to be for domain names so when you type yo you get domain names that start with yo not bookmarks that contain yo.

tomholland

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Code:

Did you test this before posting it? It doesn't work. It worked in Safari 4 (with a 4 in the string instead of the 5), but it has no affect in Safari 5.

Regarding http://shauninman.com/archive/2010/08/25/smrt

See post #62 in this thread. That's already been suggested, but it requires deleting all your history AND all your bookmarks. Not workable for those of us with hundreds of bookmarks, organized in folders.

You have to clear your existing history at the start, yes - but once installed, your history will work as normal (and does not need to be cleared again).

The bookmarks are an issue if you're not using a web based service such as Delicious. An alternative to deleting existing local bookmarks would be to write a script to convert the page titles in existing bookmark entries stored in the plist file to apply the same technique as is used for the history items (injecting a character between each character to prevent indexing beyond 1 character). This wouldn't be a Safari extension, but a run-once script for existing bookmark items. With the Safari extension installed, any new pages bookmarked / added to your history will not be indexable after the first character.

I've seen a lot of complaining about this issue, but not much in the way of people trying to find a solution around it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The bookmarks are an issue if you're not using a web based service such as Delicious. An alternative to deleting existing local bookmarks would be to write a script to convert the page titles in existing bookmark entries stored in the plist file to apply the same technique as is used for the history items (injecting a character between each character to prevent indexing beyond 1 character). This wouldn't be a Safari extension, but a run-once script for existing bookmark items. With the Safari extension installed, any new pages bookmarked / added to your history will not be indexable after the first character.

I've seen a lot of complaining about this issue, but not much in the way of people trying to find a solution around it.

Unlike many, I'm not complaining about it. It's not as convenient as it could be if it had some checkable options for autocomplete sources, such as history, bookmarks, etc., but it's quite workable for me as it is. It's less of a hassle than any proposed solution I've seen so far.

Kevin L.

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Just installed 5.0.2 today and still no changes or new settings. Don't know if I should wait for another update and see what happens or try the hacks listed above. I am still in shock that Apple did this; I agree with a previous poster that I loose MANY minutes each day now.

okeribok

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
solution to the insanity

In the terminal type:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeFancyURLCompletionList -bool NO

restart safari, done. sanity is back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.