Safari 5 is NOT a disaster after all

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2Evan, Jun 10, 2010.

1. 2Evan macrumors member

I upgraded to Safari 5 yesterday. Usually an upgrade on a MAC is the simplest thing. But now: Ridiculous! The farthest I get is my home page, my favorites. Then, impossible to even load a page (by clicking on one of my fav sites, or typing in a word in the search box, or entering an address in the address bar). The highlighting in the address bar goes about to the http in the address, then hangs/freezes for about a minute, and then 'Hello Crash Report!!!'. I've deleted the upgrade, and installed 5.0 directly from the Apple site, then tried the Disk Utilility app. Nothing! I feel like I'm working with a bleeping Windows computer.

BTW, my requirements are fine. Leopard 10.5.8.

Any suggestions?

Thks!

2. NICKTHEPAT macrumors newbie

Safari 5 JUNK

DO NOT DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL SAFARI 5!!!

I upgraded on my macbook pro. Completely trashed the OS. Tried to repair from disk. Lots of red entries and problems that needed fixing (i'm not a techie so dont ask!). Disk repair said it had worked but it did not and when I tried to start up had my very own mac BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. Going into the WINDOWS partion was OK but going into the MAC OS there was nothing completely trashed.

Restored from backup (Time machine) and all is OK.

I have 4 imacs three iphones and am sick and tired of the Apple mantra that It just works.....it often does not and in 3 years I have never had the magnitude of damage to my business from a PC environment that I have had from the macs. Numerous majro crashes on all machines. Next time around I'm junking the macs.

3. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Hmm, I'm thinking you guys are experiencing a bug of some sort. I upgraded both of my Macs, one running 10.6.3 and the other running 10.5.8 PPC and it works flawlessly on both. I installed it on both using Software Update, if it makes any difference.

Out of curiosity, did either of you have any third-party plugins installed before updating? If so, that may be the cause of your problems. Prior to Safari 5, all plugins were essentially unsupported hacks.

4. 2Evan thread starter macrumors member

Nick: I love MAC, but I feel your pain! I simply dumped Safari for good (FF and Chrome will do). Fastest but most unstable browser I've ever used. But this above is too much. No techie either, one of the reasons I go with the Apple.

I also updated from Software Update as usual. Plug-ins, no plug-ins, don't want to start checking for that every time I update software. Doing that is probably called Windows.

5. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Safari 5 on my MacBook is soo slow!! Firefox runs circles around it. I've always used Safari since I've had a Mac, but I am about to dump it and use Chrome. Chrome is my default browser on my Windows machine at work and it's fast!

6. hawksma macrumors newbie

I feel your pain, but...

It really sucks that your having these difficulties. I must say however, that I have installed every update to any Apple program I have when it came out; ever since I switched to Apple 6 years ago. I have never had anything fail to work the first time. All installations have been flawless and I have never experienced any problem I have seen people complain about at MacRumors.

I guess I just live a charmed life.

hawk

7. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

I've been this way for 4 years until this Safari 5 update..it won't load a page at all and it crashes before I can even tinker with the settings...enough other cool browsers out there but the more I use FF the more I miss Safari..:(

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Safari 5 works perfectly for me. As a matter of fact, what you describe is exactly what Safari *4* was doing on my computer. The update fixed it all.

Did you try deleting the preferences files? Home folder > Library > Preferences > com.apple.Safari

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just here to chime in with - 5's working perfectly for me. Faultless. The OS hasn't been harmed either. Both my 2006 iMac and 2008 Macbook are running fine and peachy.

10. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

+1 to the working fine here camp (on both G4's) (infact its a little quicker on the MDD now)

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's an irresponsible statement to make. Just because you have a problem on your specific computer doesn't mean everyone else has the same issue. Many of us have no problems at all with Safari 5. It runs faster than Safari 4 and is very stable. It's foolish to think that the first culprit is Safari 5, when there are a myriad of other possible factors that are unique to your system's configuration that are likely the cause of your problems.

12. Jmodamagicmofo macrumors member

I've had major problems since the upgrade. 90% of the pages I visit never completely load. At the bottom boarder of the Safari window I get error messages or it just refuses to load the final items, i.e. "completed 31 of 32 items".

I miss Safari 4:(

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What error messages, exactly? What sites?

14. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Even though I don't use Safari, I updated my 3 macs. I did launch Safari on all 3 with no issues I can detect. Go figure...

15. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

No issues here.

Really odd that there would be many problems.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

17. drewdle macrumors regular

I would hardly call a handful of bugs an unmitigated disaster. Most users seem to be seeing no issues. I've got four machines updated so far, my MacBook and iMac G4, my wife's MacBook, and my brother's MacBook Pro. All are running fine. I had ClickToFlash installed on my iMac, so at least we know that particular hack doesn't cause Safari to commit hari kari.

If anything, I'm glad the blue loading bar made a return, and my iMac now runs HTML5 video smoother than it did. Just thought I'd chime in with my experience.

18. Jmodamagicmofo macrumors member

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It worked fine for me on Safari 5:
    Picture 1.jpg
    So the problem isn't Safari 5. It's something on your system. Either a modification or other software that's creating the problem. If the problem was the browser itself, everyone using the browser would have the same problem.

It baffles me how so many people are quick to abandon and talk trash about software apps when they don't work as expected, rather than simply diagnosing the problem. In the vast majority of cases, the "issues" turn out to be something the user has done or installed on their system, rather than the "disaster" software they are so quick to blame.

20. TheFatCityChamp macrumors newbie

I also want to chime in with the opposite. Safari 5 has been great for me. No such issues as described above.

I'm finding it to be snappier than Firefox, and I love the Reader.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All the Safari is snappy, snappier, snappiest after the latest OS update it is refreshing to see an actual Safari update thread saying Safari trashed everything else.

22. Jmodamagicmofo macrumors member

Well that's good news, but what's the diagnosis? I'm not trash talking. Many issues began happening the moment I upgraded to Safari 5. It was a reasonable initial assumption.

23. Jmodamagicmofo macrumors member

ACTUALLY your images says loading 65 of 66. So is it working properly?

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's working properly. Sometimes an element has been moved on the site, so the page can't find it. (broken links, etc.) Sometimes larger elements (like videos) take a while to download, so they won't show up as completed until they've finished downloading. Most of the time, a website will still work properly, even if some elements don't load. I turned my ad-blockers off to view the page, but leaving them on, many items won't load. You might look at any ad-blocking software you have installed, firewall settings, etc.

25. Jmodamagicmofo macrumors member

Well it's been almost an hour now and the page still says loading. It happens all the time now. It's like Safari is insisting on loading these items and it bogs the application down if I continue browsing in another tab. It seems like a Safari issue to me.