Safari 5 vs. Google Chrome? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dsprimal, Jun 10, 2010.

1. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

Hey all, just noticed Safari 5 is out, updates better then google chrome? or is google chrome still overall a better browser?

thanks!

2. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

Both seems to be good for me. But if you make the transition you'll miss some essential features, like search in address bar :(

3. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

true, i have google chrome and i love it, super fast. but noticing small features like how smooth the intertial scrolling is on safari when compared to google chrome (not as fluid if you look close enough) and the fancy "top sites" page on safari is also nicer then google chromes. but yeah, after this safari update, i believe i may stick with safari ;)

4. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I would take Safari over Chrome any day - I love Safari.

5. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

is it me or is the "top sites" page enhanced? seems like the bottom reflective floor is grayer now? instead of black? and the reflections of your favorite sites are more vibrant? or is it just me....

6. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Yep, I see it too - it has been changed. looks nice.

7. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

I'm using Safari 5 just because it's new and shiny, but I expect to go back to Chrome soon... that is, unless some clever developers make extensions that move the tabs on top and merge the search and address bars a la Chrome. Safari with those features would be a majestic beast indeed

8. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

I just use Safari 5 for checking email but we use Firefox as our main browser and are very happy

9. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Chrome on my Windows based PCs and Safari on my MBP. I noticed a huge difference in speed on Safari 5 but, I still prefer Chrome, due to some personal preferences.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't know why anyone would use a browser made by an advertising company -- it's just beyond me.

Safari is nice, especially with the reader. I've used it as my main browser for the past couple of days, but I'm finding it extremely limited when compared to Opera.

11. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I've always preferred Safari to Chrome, and version 5 reinforces this.

Chrome bugs me for a few reasons, including:

- Unnecessarily fat titlebar/tab bar
    - Kinda Maclike, but not really look
    - Combined URL and search bar. Seriously, it annoys the piss outta me. It always ends up searching when I don't want it to.

Chrome used to have the advantage when it came to speed and extensions, but now both browsers are pretty much on equal footing. Seeing how Safari is the most Maclike of the two options, I'm sticking with Safari.

12. WillaMatthews macrumors newbie

I am always use google chrome

The safari is out.New browser is google chrome.this is very fastest web browser.
    There are more functionality on chrome high speed,simplicity,high security

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Don't make me laugh. There's little secure about your browsing and information being sent to Google.

14. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Interesting to think of Google as an advertising company... for some reason I never looked at it like that, but I guess they do get the vast majority of their revenue from advertising.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They make over 99% of their money through advertising. What else would they be? Sure they guise as a technology company, but make no mistake their customers are not you or me. Their customers are big companies looking for your money.

16. theaero macrumors 6502

Safari would be great with:

-master password
    -clearing private data on exit
    -MIDDLE CLICK SUPPORT. Tabs, links, everything.
    -Mouse 4/5 native support for back/forward
    -Adblock+
    -Few other small quirks.

17. saschke macrumors 6502

Just use GlimmerBlocker. It's way better than Adblock+ and works in all browsers!

18. craiger902 macrumors member

And Apple is a big company looking for our money. Who cares? As long as both companies continue making top quality products, I'm happy to give them some money. The fact that google is an advertising company doesn't take away from the fact that Chrome is a great browser.

19. raxafarian macrumors regular

I tried chrome for a week or so.

No way to view pdf's in the browser?

No RSS. I really like having a few RSS feeds bookmarked on my safari bookmark bar. A number appear next them when they are updated and I can view the feeds right in safari.

No netflix in chrome. (yes, I know it can be tweaked)

Other than those items chrome seemed quick and I think multiple tabs each being a separate process is interesting. It did seem to use more memory over time.

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The difference is how the two companies go about getting your money. Google does it by tracking your habits and reading your information to better target you. Apple does it by making a product they hope you will deem good enough to buy.

21. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

QFT.

I find Safari faster than Chrome, especially since Safari 5 came out.

22. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Im trying to do the opposite - I want PDFs to open in Preview not the browser - but I dont seem to be able to do this in Safari :-s

And I like the autosearch in address bar (same as my FF behaviour) - then I can have Wolfram Alpha as my "optional" search engine.

23. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I can't stand chrome's top sites feature and there is no way to disable it. As of now i'm still a firefox user because of the customization. But safari is much quicker.

24. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    CHROME for me baby, no spinning beachballs!!!;):cool:

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Chrome is probably a good choice for you. Considering your signature, your profile, your location, etc. you obviously don't mind having a lot of your information floating around online. I'm not saying that's wise, but it is what it is.