Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rev316

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2004
Pretty much sold on Chrome now. I feel Safari is still trying to "keep up".

I think it's the process-per-tab model that's surprisingly keeping my sessions intact.

palz

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Chrome wins.

Look at this:
safri.png

Same page, safari on left, chrome on right.

Not to mention the fact that chrome is about 10x faster than any browser (especially ie, firefox) at loading itself or web pages.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't know why anyone would use a browser made by an advertising company -- it's just beyond me.

same here, and I'm really not interested in android - no matter how many ghz the processors are :rolleyes: for the same reason.

I love safari - it's super fast, works with every website I use, has all the features I want. I keep firefox 3.6 as a backup, but I really have no reason to use anything but safari.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
Don't make me laugh. There's little secure about your browsing and information being sent to Google.

You don't think Apple is doing the same thing with your info from Safari? I guess it's more convenient to pretend Apple has no interest in the online/mobile advertising space with that silly iAd.

same here, and I'm really not interested in android - no matter how many ghz the processors are :rolleyes: for the same reason.

I love safari - it's super fast, works with every website I use, has all the features I want. I keep firefox 3.6 as a backup, but I really have no reason to use anything but safari.

why do you guys pretend like Apple does not have the exact same intentions as Google? Do you really feel like Apple is not going to use your data for their own purposes?

I'm not saying Safari is bad, but to say you use it because Chrome is by Google and they surely capture your data, and Apple/Safari would never do that, is pretty naive.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
You don't think Apple is doing the same thing with your info from Safari? I guess it's more convenient to pretend Apple has no interest in the online/mobile advertising space with that silly iAd.

why do you guys pretend like Apple does not have the exact same intentions as Google? Do you really feel like Apple is not going to use your data for their own purposes?

I'm not saying Safari is bad, but to say you use it because Chrome is by Google and they surely capture your data, and Apple/Safari would never do that, is pretty naive.

I do understand what Apple is doing. The difference between Chrome and Safari. Chrome constantly sends data based on your browsing to Google and Safari doesn't do anything like that.

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
I do understand what Apple is doing. The difference between Chrome and Safari. Chrome constantly sends data based on your browsing to Google and Safari doesn't do anything like that.

So did you just make this fact up or do you actually have something to base it on?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
So did you just make this fact up or do you actually have something to base it on?

Google it (posting from my phone right now so it's tough to get sources). I'm not making it up. Or install little snitch and check out how much Chrome talks to Google.

It's pretty sad that for mobile operating systems we have to choose between closed off Apple and Google that makes all its money from ads.

I try my best to not let either company get a hold of who I am.

JudasBlitzkrieg

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
The reader function on Safari won it for me. I know its largely pointless, but it looks class and I just like it haha :D

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
true, i have google chrome and i love it, super fast. but noticing small features like how smooth the intertial scrolling is on safari when compared to google chrome (not as fluid if you look close enough) and the fancy "top sites" page on safari is also nicer then google chromes. but yeah, after this safari update, i believe i may stick with safari ;)

Use Speed Dial extension in Google Chrome, it makes the "top sites" looks even more beautiful than Safari's.

4Txx

I've always preferred Safari to Chrome, and version 5 reinforces this.

Chrome bugs me for a few reasons, including:

- Unnecessarily fat titlebar/tab bar
- Kinda Maclike, but not really look
- Combined URL and search bar. Seriously, it annoys the piss outta me. It always ends up searching when I don't want it to.

Chrome used to have the advantage when it came to speed and extensions, but now both browsers are pretty much on equal footing. Seeing how Safari is the most Maclike of the two options, I'm sticking with Safari.

The fat titlebar/tab bar you can get ride off. See:
4Txw

The combined URL and search bar is really useful, as soon as you get familiar with it, you'll love it. Happened with me.

My main problem with Safari is that it is sometimes very slow. Somehow.

Safari would be great with:

-master password
-clearing private data on exit
-MIDDLE CLICK SUPPORT. Tabs, links, everything.
-Mouse 4/5 native support for back/forward
-Adblock+
-Few other small quirks.

I would love the middle click support!

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I take it that none of you guys are either A.) getting massive console spews from Chrome or B.) look in your Consoles much?

I'd used Chrome as my primary browser for a few days until I realized that it made my Console unusable b/c the ton of crap sandboxd dumps in there every second.

BigRedOne

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
I like Safari 5 so far but my ipassword icon was lost when I upgraded and I'm having a hell of time getting back on the toolbar. Once you get use to using 1Password it is a real pain going back to the password book. But Safari 5 other wise seems to be ok, not sure about the faster speed but we'll see.

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
The main reason i use chrome is because i have an extension that loads the next page in forums and adds it to the bottom of the page. So i can easily scroll through large thread with out having to click next page. Safari might have a similar add on but i haven't heard of it.

Also safari seems to be a bit of a resource hog compared to chrome.

I can't wait for the option for "create application shortcut" for chrome on mac.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
The main reason i use chrome is because i have an extension that loads the next page in forums and adds it to the bottom of the page. So i can easily scroll through large thread with out having to click next page. Safari might have a similar add on but i haven't heard of it.

Also safari seems to be a bit of a resource hog compared to chrome.

I can't wait for the option for "create application shortcut" for chrome on mac.

There is an extension for Safari 5 which loads next page like you do on chrome, but I forgot its name.

zp3dd4

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
safari also has really smooth scrolling, which none of the other browsers have..

TheBluePanda

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
On Windows :

Safari 5 remains slower then Chrome. A lot slower to be exact, I find it sad that Apple promotes their browser to be the fastest in the world while it is not even close to Chrome. No need to believe me, believe the benchmarks :
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS203085524520100609
Dromaeo ... appears to be the most comprehensive of all of the tests. ... [It] had Chrome winning out over Opera at 2.22 times faster. In addition Chrome was 6.67 times faster than Firefox and 2.27 times faster than Safari 5." More.

On Mac :
Safari is still faster on Mac then Chrome(Beta). But Chrome is getting very close when you see that the speed difference is only 12 %. Keep in mind that Google Chrome for Mac is still in beta and that Safari has been the standard browser for Mac since a very long time. So Chrome is surely doing a great job catching up with Safari.
http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/12/09/google-chrome-for-mac-pitted-against-firefox-and-safari/

To respond to some posts:
I don't know why anyone would use a browser made by an advertising company -- it's just beyond me.
How does this precisely affect the quality of the browser ? I think it even makes the browser better since Google does not have his own OS so they can -only- benefit if their browser is the fastest on ALL platforms. Apple has created Macintosh so they benefit if they make their browser 2x better on a Mac since that would "prove" that Mac is just plain better then any other OS.
So I really don't get your point here ?

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
I've tried Chrome on multiple occasions and never really got a feel for the program. Safari just seems to have that extra bit of polish, and I've never had a problem with it. I'm also not too keen on Chrome spying on me... (as others have said, I haven't looked this up myself)

TheBluePanda

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
I've tried Chrome on multiple occasions and never really got a feel for the program. Safari just seems to have that extra bit of polish, and I've never had a problem with it. I'm also not too keen on Chrome spying on me... (as others have said, I haven't looked this up myself)
I've looked it up and I can't find any source which can prove that Chrome is spying on you. I think people are just paranoid because Google(and EVERY search engine) store what you have searched for. Simply to give you better results.
Because Chrome is a program developped by Google I think a lot of people instantly think that Chrome is a way of Google to spy on us... Then again, even if so, what is the harm of a search engine knowing that you are intrested in plants/books/etc. It's not fun but remember that Google,Gmail,Chrome and all the software developped by Google is mostly free. The least you can do is allowing them to -show- you adds (nothing more).

In addition, Chrome is open source so I personally think it's more secure then a program where only Apply has insight into the source code ?

PS : I might look like a Google/Chrome fanboy but believe me, I'm not, I'm just giving arguments to false statements. If somebody said that Mac is 100 % worse then Windows then I would defend Mac. I'm only trying to give valid arguments for true statements :)

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
Yeah I don't think there's ever been any evidence of Chrome sending in browsing or other personal information. Gmail and Google search, sure, but you don't need to use either when you use Chrome. There's plenty of skepticism in regard to Google already, and I think any surreptitious code would have been caught by 3rd party developers working on or with the Chromium project.

But I understand the skepticism. I just thought it was interesting to see them called an advertising company... surprised that that had never occurred to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.