Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
You don't think Apple is doing the same thing with your info from Safari? I guess it's more convenient to pretend Apple has no interest in the online/mobile advertising space with that silly iAd.

why do you guys pretend like Apple does not have the exact same intentions as Google? Do you really feel like Apple is not going to use your data for their own purposes?

I'm not saying Safari is bad, but to say you use it because Chrome is by Google and they surely capture your data, and Apple/Safari would never do that, is pretty naive.

They don't have the same intentions. at a very general level, they both want to make money off us, sure. But apple does so by selling me expensive hardware. google does so by mining my data and selling it to the highest bidder. not the same thing.

TheBluePanda

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
They don't have the same intentions. at a very general level, they both want to make money off us, sure. But apple does so by selling me expensive hardware. google does so by mining my data and selling it to the highest bidder. not the same thing.

I think you are exaggerating a little... "Mining my data" & "Selling to the highest bidder".

What they do is totally different. If you are always searching for Mac keywords like "Mac,ipad,ipod,itunes,etc" they will show results with Apple when they can. Because they know you are interested in that and they want you to click on as many adds as possible. So instead of seeing an add about "Green Card in America" you'll see an add about "Win a iPad". Does this harm you in any way ? It might even help you if you are looking for a company which let's you ""win"" an Ipad.

Another use : If you search for the term "Leopard" google will show you the operation system "Leopard OSX" instead of "Leopard, the animal". So Google even helps you finding information you need...

The issue is that the press and bloggers are currently flaming Google for gathering private data and they exaggerate incredibly. The fact that so many people believe that Chrome is "spyware" already proves my point. It's sad that people can't develop some criticism and see that Google does no harm with this. They don't know your name, they don't know your address... They only know your IP is intrested in everything around Apple (I'm just taking apple as an example btw :)).

Yes they try to make more profit by "gathering" your search data(=NOT the same as private data), but hey, if you don't want them to gather your search data? Stop using Google or any kind of search engine and your issue is solved ;) ? But I doubt you'll do that, you (and everybody on 99,9 % of the internet users) like the services which Search Engines provide us to much :)

Regards,
TheBluePanda

TheBluePanda

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
firefox is superior by far to both of them

Safety Wise ? Perhaps
Extension wise ? Yes
Customization ? Better with Firefox
Speed ? Chrome is 2x better

http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

Just do the test with both of your browsers. I can guarantee you that Chrome (The Last beta version) is faster then any other browser. The website also publishes worldwide statistics after you done the benchmark, Google Chrome is faster then all the other browsers.

Security wise it's hard to check which one is better. I think they are equal but Firefox -might- be better. Not sure about that

Customization + Extensions -> Firefox is better, that's true.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I do understand what Apple is doing. The difference between Chrome and Safari. Chrome constantly sends data based on your browsing to Google and Safari doesn't do anything like that.
With all due respect, if you're going to make such technical statements, you should provide reliable sources. (Instead of just telling us to 'Google it.')

When you install Chrome you are asked as to whether or not you want to send usage statistics to Google, and you can opt-in or opt-out based on your personal preference.

If you have any issues concerning how Chrome uses your information, you need to make sure you're looking in the right place: http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html

TheBluePanda

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
With all due respect, if you're going to make such technical statements, you should provide reliable sources. (Instead of just telling us to 'Google it.')

When you install Chrome you are asked as to whether or not you want to send usage statistics to Google, and you can opt-in or opt-out based on your personal preference.

If you have any issues concerning how Chrome uses your information, you need to make sure you're looking in the right place: http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html

I'm glad to find somebody who shares my opinion.

It's indeed just a fairy tale that Chrome would steal your information. Probably made up by people who feel bad that "their" browser isn't the best anymore. So they try to trash the other Browsers without having any valid argument :)

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I'm glad to find somebody who shares my opinion.

It's indeed just a fairy tale that Chrome would steal your information. Probably made up by people who feel bad that "their" browser isn't the best anymore. So they try to trash the other Browsers without having any valid argument :)

Indeed. I've spent the past day or so trying to figure out a bug/technical issue with Chrome and from reading through the bug reporting system and the developer's lists, an issue for Chrome developers is that because many, if not most, Chrome users turn off reporting, they don't have enough information to work with. You'd think if Chrome were the Big Bad Spy, they'd know what was going on when it flips out.

And yeah, it's always the same Chevy/Ford pickup arguments. :rolleyes:

TheBluePanda

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
Indeed. I've spent the past day or so trying to figure out a bug/technical issue with Chrome and from reading through the bug reporting system and the developer's lists, an issue for Chrome developers is that because many, if not most, Chrome users turn off reporting, they don't have enough information to work with. You'd think if Chrome were the Big Bad Spy, they'd know what was going on when it flips out.

And yeah, it's always the same Chevy/Ford pickup arguments. :rolleyes:

They just got a bad reputation due "haters". While they aren't doing anything wrong to be fair. Yes they had some privacy issues with google streets but that has nothing to do with sending statistics to develop better -free- software. Thanks to Chrome (and Mozilla) we have twice as fast browsers then when we would have when we depended on Microsoft/Apple(Internet Explorer anyone ?) alone. The least we can do is helping them making the product even better^^

But that is just my opinion I guess...

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Camino wins hands down in my opinion. I guess you could check out there website on the link.

This is not a browser war thread, it's a Safari vs. Chrome thread. While Camino is a great browser it deserves no mention in this thread. Search for one of the many "Which Browser is Best" threads and post your thoughts on Camino in there.

songcunzhi

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
The main reason I like Safari 5 over chrome is Top sites. The Most visited in Chrome is just not usable for several reasons... I know there is an extension Safari Dial. But I found it didn't update the thumbnails in a right way. I will have a blank thumbnail if I don't wait until the page is fully loaded.

I also like the way of reading Rss in Safari. I guess Chrome wants us to use Google Reader which is not my favorite.

Besides that... Safari is tightly integrated with mac. I like sending webpages by mail right in Safari. The bookmarks in safari on mac sync with safari on iphone.

NewtonsApple

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Using Chrome for the time being...

I downloaded Safari 5 and gave it a go. I found it clunky, buggy, and worst of all, sluggish. It especially has a difficult time negotiating through flash-heavy sites or secure websites. Annoyingly slow when using Myspace. There is also a correlation I made that when viewing certain pages on Myspace, the Safari browser just hangs and renders the network stalled. You have to either reset Airport or the modem. This has been my experience. I decided to try out Chrome and so far I am impressed with its speed and stability. It runs rings around Safari 5. I have to say, I do miss Safari 4. I thought it was a rock solid browser. I wish I hadn't updated from that version because it had served me well. I am a little surprised at the positive response to Safari 5 since it did nothing but make me want to smash my computer. Chrome has brought me back to reasonable browsing, as it should be. ;)

kbdquadra605

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
since updating to Safari 5, I've noticed quite a few bugs. Once initiating the reader function and x'ing out, I can't scroll up and down the home page. Whatever shows in the open window is there to stay. Also, certain fonts don't load, specifically the polls at the bottom of the ESPN home page. They come in very pixelated and black. I will be sticking with Chrome until Apple fixes these issues.

Mike49

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
I like Chrome, but Java applets on Pogo.com will not play. No problems with Safari.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Having too many issues with Safari 5, and it just crashed again, and its slow. Chrome is much faster anyway, no glitches or issues, smooth and stable. I have no plugins on Safari so don't know what the issue is, it was fine till I updated to 5 and I'm not the only one, tons of things you can find online of people having trouble with Safari 5.

applevx

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
I have reasons for NOT using Google Chrome

1. Google Chrome secretly install many file/folder into my disk, not very good Mac citizen. ( Why not just put files into ~/Library/Application Support/Google Chrome/ like firefox does)

2. Chrome is brand name for Chrome browser already, why still put Google with Chrome? So like Microsoft ##, Adobe ##, is kind of annoy people. :D

have fun :D

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Many complains but it is a matter of taste.

Security wise, just stay away from Internet Explorer.

Firefox is nice if you use a extension/plugin no other browser have. Apart from that, it is slower comparing to Opera, Safari and Chrome. Now even Safari have extensions.

Safari 5 and Chrome are fast. Browsing I can't find difference. They use the same engine (webkit).
Some prefer tabs on top, other not. What I love about Safari is how smooth the scrolling is.

It is nice to have all this options. Competition leads to better products for us consumers.

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
Well, I just ended up switching to Safari on my Mac and also Windows installs, I had not used it in quite some time so I can't comment on it's evolution, but I'm sure happy with the current version.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I am a hardcore Safari user. Tabs on top I don't need, and I like the snappy browser performance that safari gives me. Im just really used to the way Safari works, but Chrome is an excellent browser nevertheless.

TheBluePanda

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
I have reasons for NOT using Google Chrome

1. Google Chrome secretly install many file/folder into my disk, not very good Mac citizen. ( Why not just put files into ~/Library/Application Support/Google Chrome/ like firefox does)

2. Chrome is brand name for Chrome browser already, why still put Google with Chrome? So like Microsoft ##, Adobe ##, is kind of annoy people. :D

have fun :D

1. Any examples ? I really wonder what they might install apart from data to run the browser and perhaps files to send anonymous reports to Google Developers (But they don't send reports unless you ACCEPT it)

2. Why does Apple place "I" in front of every product they make? Does this has anything to do with the results of Google Chrome/Safari whatsoever:confused:?

mansanas

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
I tried chrome for a week or so.

No way to view pdf's in the browser?

No RSS. I really like having a few RSS feeds bookmarked on my safari bookmark bar. A number appear next them when they are updated and I can view the feeds right in safari.

No netflix in chrome. (yes, I know it can be tweaked)

Other than those items chrome seemed quick and I think multiple tabs each being a separate process is interesting. It did seem to use more memory over time.

this.
seriously google! still no netflix instantly watch support?! (without tweak)
still no pdf reader?!
and wtf?! fix the damn gfx switching bug!

safari 5 for me, i want tabs on top and unified address/search bar though.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Chrome is good at limiting resource drain on sites with Flash elements, but sometimes a slow site would crash tab, and somehow Chrome crashed tab brings down the whole browser.

Safari is more stable than Chrome on OS X Snow Leopard. My main browser.

Firefox is very resource intensive.

I use flash blocker on all browsers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.