Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
It crashes on start-up on XP, running on Virtual PC. Don't really need it since I have Safari on OS X... I just wanted to see it in action.

The first beta, nor the update will load on my machine.

Safari for Windows is a POS in my view. It was plain to see from Steve's keynote that Apple is ripping planned features out of Leopard, and their engineers are spread too thin on too many projects (iPhone, Safari 4 Win). He hardly had anything to talk about and his presentation was terribly sub-par. MS rips features out and gets blasted while Apple gets away with it, the difference is that MS is transparent on their product roadmap.

There is no doubt in my mind that Apple Computer Inc. becoming Apple Inc. shows just how much Steve has taken his eyes off the Mac platform!

Do you think Microsoft would like for me to send the error report :rolleyes:

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
So it would seem...

Here's what happens when I'm trying to add a bookmark:

View attachment 76583

Fantastic... :rolleyes:
It would help if you actually showed the error report and not just the dialog box. Someone might be able to help you out.

Safari for Windows is a POS in my view. There is no doubt in my mind that Apple Computer Inc. becoming Apple Inc. shows just how much Steve has taken his eyes off the Mac platform!

Please post the data in the error report.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
It feels a bit more Alpha than Beta really but then browsers work with hostile material (really crappy web pages) and this one is in a particularly hostile environment ;) so some slack is due, I guess.

curse google/web 2.0 and their abuse of the beta label!

alpha - feature incomplete, almost always tested internally, though some companies have started to release alphas to select developers. adobe being one.

beta - feature complete. released to a wider non-internal audience. sometimes private/invitation only, sometimes open to all for real world testing looking for bugs/security holes, etc...

safari 3 - is a beta.

apple's only clear mistake in the safari 3 release for window was using the "secure from day one" tag. that was bound to wind up apple haters looking to knock apple down a peg or two. open for more debate would be releasing it as a full public beta first, though who knows maybe it's been in private beta for a while too.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
What's wrong with their tabbed browsing? I think it works pretty well, and it's definitely a vast improvement over Safari2, and if you want my opinion, I think WebKit is maturing rather nicely. I'd put it up against the Gecko engine just about anyday as far as maturity and standards compliance goes.

1. all major windows browser support single window mode, maybe many osx users don't mind pressing some key when clicking a link, but I don't think windows user will buy that.

2. try protopage.com, which is my homepage, in both firefox/opera, the link on the page can be opened in new tab by default, but in safari for windows, there is no way to do it, right click, left click, middle click, click while press any key, just can't do it!

3. Webkit is mature enough on mac, but not on windows, webkit/KHTML is not set out to be cross-platform like gecko, thats why its been so few progress in porting KHTML to windows, and as u can see, many ppl can't get it to render page properly under windows, that kind of instability is "not mature enough" IMHO.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
What on earth is keeping them from implenting a "new tab" button? The thing is in version 3 already. This is the most obvious missing feature imaginable. What is their problem? Some Windows users who've tried it apparently don't even realize the tabbed browsing feature is there. Really really dumb to make such a fundamental feature accessible only by keyboard shortcut or menu.

rjwill246

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
It's far from perfect

To be fair, Firefox has been good about keeping their browser stable, but I'm really glad to see that Apple is making such an effort, as well. Despite the naysayers, this is what's gonna grow Safari's portion of the pie-chart. Kudos, Cupertino!

I still have Firefox quit unexpectedly more often than I would like-- much rarer on Safari and so far the beta has performed flawlessly. To my surprise it is running on my wife's G4 iBook faster than on my dual G5 tower, though it is no slouch on that, either. I need to empty that cache more often ;-)
On the iBook-- depending on site traffic etc-- the home page is loaded by the time I have lifted my finger off the return key. True, I have up to 7 mbs download speeds for optimum times on all the Macs at home.

This is one smart move on Apple's part and even if there are lots of problems to start with-- and we may be hearing from a minority of users in that regard-- over time, the need for Safari and just its general utility will have it make inroads into IE's continually dropping market-share.

I do wish Safari could resize images like Opera does! That cannot be too hard to do and makes for a more logical experience if you want to enlarge the text for some reason. Apple?

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Still crashes when you do anything in XP.

I've only had one crash in XP in three days - something else must be up with your system.

The only big problem I've had is that if I'm downloading something, and click the close button on the last open Safari window, the download will stop and disappear without any warning. In Safari for the Mac, a message window will pop up asking if you really want to quit...

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
Still crashes on start-up on my old, non-SSE, Athlon, reporting an illegal instruction in coregraphics.dll.

One day it'll work...

Can't get it to run under Wine on my Core Duo Thinkpad at home either (just will not official install, and I get a wierd error message about the C run time library or something. Oh well, getting anything to run under Wine without a full install of Windows is an exercise in frustration in general.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
What on earth is keeping them from implenting a "new tab" button? The thing is in version 3 already. This is the most obvious missing feature imaginable. What is their problem? Some Windows users who've tried it apparently don't even realize the tabbed browsing feature is there. Really really dumb to make such a fundamental feature accessible only by keyboard shortcut or menu.

For the same reason the mighty mouse has 'one' button (even though it actually has two). Apple sticks to the KISS mantra; and for many users, that's perfectly fine for them.

The main time I, or anyone else uses tabs is when I click a link to another page that I'd like to read soon, but not now. I'll hold down the command key. My Mom right-clicks (control-clicks) and clicks 'open link in new tab.' Having a button on the bar doesn't allow you to open a link in a new tab...

But it would be nice to have it as an option, like the font size buttons.

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003

Safari for Windows is a POS in my view. It was plain to see from Steve's keynote that Apple is ripping planned features out of Leopard, and their engineers are spread too thin on too many projects (iPhone, Safari 4 Win). He hardly had anything to talk about and his presentation was terribly sub-par. MS rips features out and gets blasted while Apple gets away with it, the difference is that MS is transparent on their product roadmap.

There is no doubt in my mind that Apple Computer Inc. becoming Apple Inc. shows just how much Steve has taken his eyes off the Mac platform!

That's about what I get.

You know, the obvious thing for Apple to do here is to check the CPU the thing is installing on conforms to the minimum spec required by whatever compilation options they're using. They'd look infinitely more professional if they did that.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
If you think there won't be more Safari patching done post-release, then you're kidding yourself. :cool:

I applaud Apple for rectifying the problems quickly...and I still think they need to change their "secure from day one" tagline. :eek:

The tagline is fine. Day one starts when the software goes general distribution, right? :rolleyes: ;) :p

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Well I just downloaded it within Parallels, which took less than a minute and it installed fine. Works fine and I'm posting from it right now. I'm using Windows XP Professional. I'll try it on a windows xp home/intel and pro/amd. Did you shut down your anti-virus, defender and any other bot applications before installing?

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
If Microslopped patched an IE bug within three days of it being reported then it would make the front pages :)

So far so good on my Pro, it's running just lovely and I like the new look. I won't run it on Windoze anyway, Windoze is for those rare programs that I can't get on OSX and the occasional necessary use of IE, not for everyday pleasure.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
The tagline is fine. Day one starts when the software goes general distribution, right?

oh, please, so how about add some word at the end of that sentence:

secure from day one-(note: after the final release, we don't mean secure from day one of this beta)

LOL

and

Are you saying final release of safari for windows will have NO security holes in the future?
Did you shut down your anti-virus, defender and any other bot applications before installing?

why?

Well I just downloaded it within Parallels, which took less than a minute and it installed fine. Works fine and I'm posting from it right now. I'm using Windows XP Professional. I'll try it on a windows xp home/intel and pro/amd. Did you shut down your anti-virus, defender and any other bot applications before installing?

If I have to shut down AV and the firewall to run the browser, what's the point as I will definantly get something worse than a POS Safari browser out of that deal :) :eek: :)

TiAdiMundo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
Can't find bugs because there are too many of them

Didn't Apple test the beta version internally? The security issues could easily be found (after 2 hours)! /me thinks a public beta version is to find complex bugs or small issues. But on Vista, Safari couldn't render even the (very complex) Google start page with all six hyperlinks! And using any bookmarking feature forces Safari to crash. So what should I test with this one?

Apple: please do your work first, than ask us about helping you to find bugs you couldn't find. Thanks.

zzcoop

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
I still can't figure out why anybody would want to run an Apple app, on a Mac, in a Windows emulator. Is it just morbid curiousity?

Kenn Marks

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2005
IT's BETA!!

That doesn't fly. They made a huge splash with the release, it's available for download right at their frontpage, they are encouraging people to install it, they are bragging how it's secure "from day one"... And when they find huge holes in it, we are supposed to ignore them because "it's beta".

If it's beta, why are they encouraging people to install it? Why are they claiming that it's secure?

Not to say that the bugs found were not a potential threat but they were found by BUG Hounds (security researchers - see June 12th MacRumors article) people who's job it is to find holes in software they actually have competitions to find or break software. Usually they do it for a fee to help companies secure their software, the fee being for how the found the problem - saves the company money in reinventing the wheel (Problem). Had those same problems been found by you and I then there would be a lot to SCREAM about. Yes it was serious, but it's fixed and the BUG Hounds are still trying to find other holes and the rest of us are just trying to make it a typically Apple friendly experience.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I still can't figure out why anybody would want to run an Apple app, on a Mac, in a Windows emulator. Is it just morbid curiousity?

curiosity. and I like it, comments based on experience are always good.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
If I have to shut down AV and the firewall to run the browser, what's the point as I will definantly get something worse than a POS Safari browser out of that deal :) :eek: :)
Not the firewall, but sometimes there's conflicts with anti-virus applications during the "install" process. A lot of windows applications ask you to shut down any anti-virus programs you have running. You don't see it as much as you used to, but sometimes conflicts arise.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
oh, please, so how about add some word at the end of that sentence:

secure from day one-(note: after the final release, we don't mean secure from day one of this beta)

LOL

OOPS - I missed my Wink and Rolls Eyes... I'll be editing that directly...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.