Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff Harrell

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by Mineral
Down there at the bottom of what? Why doesn't it default to the last folder I used like.. dare I say.. IE?
Because then there would be somebody else on here complaining about how the dialog doesn't remember your documents folder. With things like this it's a crap shoot. The computer cannot read your mind. It has no particular reason to think that you'd want to pick a file from the same folder twice in a row, because as often as you do that others do the opposite thing. So the right answer is to pick one default or the other and then make it convenient for the user to choose the other option. I.e., the Recent Places feature. Try it.

My point is, it takes me 5 times as long to upload stuff from Safari because I have to dig through all my folders every single time I choose a file.
Yes. And my point is that you don't have to dig through anything. Use the dialog. That's what it's there for.

Uh.. then why does it work with every other browser on my Mac?
Haven't the foggiest. This isn't really a troubleshooting session; if it were, I'd need a lot more information from you. I'm simply saying that at first pass it doesn't sound like that COULD be a Safari problem. Though of course if I don't have all the facts, my first blush opinion doesn't count for much.

I guess you can't read. I love Safari.
Hey, man, I was just responding to the part where you said that you would be happy IF Apple fixed a bunch of things that sounded like a combination of server problems and user error to me.

Jeff Harrell

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Safari is a part of Panther, therefore Safari hits GM at the same time as iChat 2, Mail 2 etc etc

Oooh. Oooh. Mail 2. Oooh.

Don't get me wrong. Mail is a fantastic program. I really have to say that I think it's one of the best OS X programs out there, especially considering it's remained largely unchanged on the surface since the early days. It's just that I can imagine a lot of nifty things, and I'm anxious to see what Apple has in store.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Cant wait, really like safari except for 1 little thing. It cant seem to put my weather maps in motion, if Apple can fix that i will delete explorer and pretend it never was on my mac.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by Bozola
The real question is...

Will it cost money?

I can't imagine it will. When was the last time anyone paid for a browser? But you will have to have at least 10.2, and that costs money, so it's not like it's totally free.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
not a sarcastic question... looking for people smarter than me to give some insight:

what does integrating a browser with the OS allow one to do? what type of features that wouldn't otherwise be possible? etc.

thanks

hazmat

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
When people say that Safari will be bundled with 10.3, I think it more the same way as IE has been. I don't think it's like Microsoft did with IE and Windows.

julzmon

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
NYC
2 many things to fix

Unless they fix tons of things in Safari. It will come out half done when they release it.
I love Safari and use it all the time. But there are way... to many things to fix and have working for it to be out in a month.

2 things top of my head
changing cursors + tons of little CCS stuff

java uploading like create your own iCards

A@ron

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Iowa
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

what does integrating a browser with the OS allow one to do? what type of features that wouldn't otherwise be possible? etc.

Well for one the help app could use safari as the help files are html based already (IIRC) this would greatly speed up help as it is dog slow at the moment. In addition, it may be nice to have dock integration with web bookmarks. Store all your safari bookmarks in the dock, option click to open the bookmarks folder, and select the one you want (I bet this is already possible actually).

A@ron

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
not a sarcastic question... looking for people smarter than me to give some insight:

thanks

It allows you to have a monopoly with your OS, forces everyone to use your software, and to take over the world! HAHAHAHAHA
Sorry, that was a sarcastic answer:D

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Re: Off the subject.......

Originally posted by Sonofhaig
The "G" in GOD should be capitalized. (It's a sign of respect)
Otherwise, (My opinion) don't use the word....

The capital M in 'My opinion' is a sign of respect towards yourself, or what?!

:rolleyes:

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Actually, I DID pay for one browser!

Originally posted by mactastic
I can't imagine it will. When was the last time anyone paid for a browser? But you will have to have at least 10.2, and that costs money, so it's not like it's totally free.

I bought a license for OmniWeb when it was the only alternative to IE. I gladly did, and I'm still glad I did, for it (OmniWeb) is rapidly shaping up to again be the wonder of a browser it once was. Check out their so-called 'Sneaky Peeks'.

:cool:

JohnHummel

macrumors member
May 22, 2003
Makes sense

Originally posted by hazmat
When people say that Safari will be bundled with 10.3, I think it more the same way as IE has been. I don't think it's like Microsoft did with IE and Windows.

Probably what's going to happen is that Safari will become the default browser, thereby "bundled" with the operating system.

After Safari, if you want IE, go download it yourself. It will be the next step in Apple throwing Microsoft off its back (the one after this will be iWork).

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Down there at the bottom of what? Why doesn't it default to the last folder I used like.. dare I say.. IE?

Whow; something must have been changed in the Matrix. Definitely a Deja-Whatever!

:rolleyes:

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Originally posted by Jeff Harrell
:rolleyes: For instance?

i use Zope for web revisions and Safari does not store the revisions as it should...

oh well, it does not mean, when Safari reaches 1.0, that i would stop using Camino, once the "Safari" goes wild... :eek:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Down there at the bottom of what? Why doesn't it default to the last folder I used like.. dare I say.. IE? My point is, it takes me 5 times as long to upload stuff from Safari because I have to dig through all my folders every single time I choose a file. :mad:

I agree that it should remember the last folder used, but for now, pull down the 'From' menu in the Choose File dialog box, and you'll see all the recent folders you've used. Definitely not 5 extra steps.

Uh.. then why does it work with every other browser on my Mac? :confused: :mad:
Is your Safari configured to accept cookies properly? All session-based sites have worked flawlessly for me... even my bank!

:rolleyes: I guess you can't read. I love Safari.

Me too! :cool:

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by hazmat

I'm not disagreeing with you, however the ThinkSecret article seems to, it suggests that 10.2 and 10.3 will have different versions of Safari, with it being tied into 10.3

AppleMatt

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Re: 2 many things to fix

Originally posted by julzmon
Unless they fix tons of things in Safari. It will come out half done when they release it.
I love Safari and use it all the time. But there are way... to many things to fix and have working for it to be out in a month.

2 things top of my head
changing cursors + tons of little CCS stuff

java uploading like create your own iCards

huh, those are definitely important. :p

Safari was designed to be a small and fast browser. There are lots of alternative beasts out there, so if you want "all" the features, use them.

btw, this is a general answer for everyone saying they want Feature X, Y, and Z. It wasn't a direct response to your post.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada

Only in monotheistic relgions does it make sense to capitalize the G, following the belief that their is a single entity whose name is "God".

To a polytheist, there may be multiple gods that the person is appealing to, and of which might be respectfully referred to as god, which is not the name, but the type. Think of me calling you Mister, instead of Bob. In many circles Mister is _more_ respectful than Bob.

Finally, to anyone who believes in a higher power, but does not know it that higher power is a God, several gods, aliens, a "force", or our imaginations, they might use a generic term like god merely to expediate communication with others who may have differing belief systems. Wittingly or not, the underlying that mode of communication is an attempt to give respect to others.

Your assumption that there is only one God, and an insistance on others moulding their beliefs to yours is actually not respectfull, to the people, and to this god concept.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not disagreeing with you, however the ThinkSecret article seems to, it suggests that 10.2 and 10.3 will have different versions of Safari, with it being tied into 10.3

AppleMatt

I guess there are certain advantages to integrating everyday software into the OS. Think about QuickTime technology and now many apps wouldn't function if you removed it. I think Safari [technology] will be integrated, but the application itself can be added and removed at your will.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
Different versions

AppleMatt

I think it does more than suggest that 10.2 and 10.3 will have different versions. It says that the Panther version of Safari won't run on Jaguar.

Anyone have a clue what might be different about the versions that would keep the Panther version from running on Jaguar?

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001

Not everyone respects something that someone else believes in. He's your god not mine.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by coolfactor
I guess there are certain advantages to integrating everyday software into the OS. Think about QuickTime technology and now many apps wouldn't function if you removed it. I think Safari [technology] will be integrated, but the application itself can be added and removed at your will.

I agree with you. As a programmer and a user, I think that web browsing needs to be integrated into the OS. But, I think it should be done in a pluggable way so that the user can replace it with a different browser.

On Win95, it came with IE 3, which was invaluable as a tool for downloading Netscape :) The only problem was that when browsing help files, it still used IE, even after I made Netscape my "default" browser. Let's hope that OS X 1.3 does not make the same mistake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.