Safari has to be the worst software Apple has ever made!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JAYGEE, Aug 13, 2008.

1. JAYGEE macrumors member

JAYGEE

When I first bought my Macbook, which had Tiger on it, Safari was awful. I used Firefox when I had Tiger, but since I upgraded to Leopard, I have used Safari, as it was useable, but recently it has started to play up again, with the beach ball appearing when web pages are loading, and Safari crashing when I quit it.

I don't want to use Firefox, or other web browsers, as Safari has features that I use, like right-click dictionary (which as wikipedia option), and webpage clipping.

I restart Safari sometimes, but that doesn't do much to help :(

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Since many, many others use Safari without these issues, then the answer is likely that there are issues with your set up, not necessarily with Safari.

RAM, 3rd party hacks, free disk space, internet connections, etc. etc. can all have an effect.

Post some of the specifics of your system and the circumstances to see if we can help you resolve the issue.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

3. James17 macrumors 6502

That's weird because it never crashes on my MBP. Have you got the latest version installed, 3.1.2 ? What about uninstalling it then installing it again, have you tried that?

4. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The problem isn't with Safari, as it works fine on my systems. There must be something different about your setup that is causing it to act up.

6. jacksam101 macrumors member

No problems here with Safari - the only site that it sometimes struggles with hotmail - I wonder why that could be? :)

7. Matek macrumors 6502a

The worst piece of software Apple has ever made is definitely iTunes (and Safari) for Windows :D.

I'm more satisfied with the OS X versions, but I know what you're talking about. Safari occasionally does that (even on a clean os x install and without 3rd party plugins) to me as well.

I don't worry about it. As someone already said, Firefox is great. You can make it do pretty much anything Safari does (with the exception of awsome page scrolling) with a couple of extensions and now that 3.0 is out, it's generally a better browser than Safari in nearly every aspect.

Darn, it must really be Safari, since everything works on Opera and Firefox, not just Internet Explorer ;).

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

3 Macs with Safari, each of them use it daily. No issues at all here. In fact, Firefox isn't even installed on 2 of them and it runs good with them, I use Firefox most of the time on my iMac but I do use safari as well and it has yet to crash or crash systems on any of my 3.

9. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

10. JAYGEE thread starter macrumors member

JAYGEE

It will be the default setup, as I haven't changed anything about it, since bought my Macbook, and again with the Leopard install.

I have read about other people who have trouble like me. I guess Safari just doesn't want to work properly for some people :(

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Meh, it is OK
    I use it for some things

For the most part, I stick with Safari

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

12. JAYGEE thread starter macrumors member

JAYGEE

I seems to get worse with every software update :(

13. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Thats clearly not true is it

It never crashes for me like many people it has to be your system

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You're right for "some people". I'll have to add myself to the list of loving Safari. It works great for me. Yesterday I had to use Vista's I.E 7 for a test I had to take. It was so cumbersome and I didn't care for the look of the font either. I realized that I could have taken the test on Safari so I finished it up in Safari and the experience was so much better.
    I generally don't have problems with Safari. Now the Windows version is a different story.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Safari works great on both OSX and xp, on multiple computers from g4 to santa rosa intel mac.

Create a new user account to see if it's a problem there.

Have you ever repaired permission?

How much free space is on your harddrive?

16. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

Webkit > Safari.

Haven't used Safari in weeks.

17. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I've never had Safari crash on me, but I've had weird issues where it would not work correctly with GMail and it would download docx files as folders (never did figure this one out) and I found it was generally slower than Firefox3 which doesn't have any of the issues described.

18. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

actually thats a point mine never, never, never loads hotmail or live mail lol

19. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Safari runs fine on my system, but I use Firefox out of choice because it feels faster. If you're not happy with the look of Firefox, change it to look like Safari :p.

20. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Not my earth it doesn't. That's a stupid thing to write without any qualification. We don't need another Safari vs Firefox thread without any rational debate. People like different things. Some prefer the usability and performance of Safari, others prefer to tinker and tweak with Firefox.

Safari on Windows (at least Vista) runs fine now.

21. Keleko macrumors 68000

I've been using Firefox 3 ever since it was officially released. No beachball problems, faster page loading, and better memory management (finally a browser that doesn't LEAK!) make it superior to Safari for me. I don't use the other features Safari has that aren't in the base Firefox, so I don't miss them.

Don't get me wrong - Safari isn't a terrible browser. However, Firefox (at least how I use it) is just better for my needs.

22. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Safari probably never loads hotmail or live mail correctly because of all the proprietary ASP Microsoft uses on their web sites. But GMail should have none of this.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Exactly... each user is different and has different needs

If someone needs or wants all of the latest/greatest add-ons then Firefox is great

If someone is more interested in Safari's feature set, that's great too

Nothing like having choices, and the choice is up to the individual user

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

24. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I like FF and it was my primary browser when I had a PC. With my iMac, I've switched to Safari and am very happy with it. I have no performance issues with Safari--and it does everything I need from a browser.

I certainly agree it is really just a matter of choice--and it's nice to have two products like FF and Safari to choose from.

25. JAYGEE thread starter macrumors member

JAYGEE

Yes, it's true.

I guess it must be something to do with the hardware, as what are the odds that it wont work properly on Tiger & Leopard.

Had it over a year now, so to late to take it back :(