Safari or Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jony Mac, Jan 3, 2011.

?

Which Browser Do You Use & Prefer for the Mac

Poll closed Feb 2, 2011.
  1. Safari

45.9%
  2. Google Chrome

38.2%
  3. Firefox

13.5%
  4. Other:

2.4%
  1. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I recently switched from Safari to Google Chrome on my mac and was wondering what everyone else thinking about Chrome. Do you like Chrome or Safari more? I do miss the ability to sync bookmarks between my mac and iphone via Safari & MobileMe since Chrome does not have that.

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I recently made the same switch. The reason for doing so, however, was because Safari started causing me a few problems. It was just slowly starting to lost functionality for whatever reason. So I switched to Google Chrome. I like it a lot actually :p haha

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have all three, but Firefox is my default - for no other reason than I've been using it longer and I'm more used to it.

I've been noticing lately that Firefox isn't quite as compatible with some sites as Safari or Chrome, and I find myself switching between them more than I used to.

4. lwien macrumors regular

Been a Safari user since the first day it came out. Also periodically tried Firefox for a bit. Switched to Chrome about 4 months ago and will never go back to either one.

5. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Why won't you go back to Safari after using Chrome?

6. lythium macrumors member

I tried to use Chrome for about 2 weeks on both a MBP and iMac. I found it to be much less stable than firefox.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Been a Firefox user until I switched over to Chrome about 6 months ago. I love it! I'm not a fan of Safari...

8. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Hmm..seems like no one likes Safari? Why is that?

9. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I hate Firefox, it looks like fisher price. And I once heard someone tell me that Google Chrome shares some of your searching information and other stuff to third party companies, so i'll stick with safari.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Ive used all three heavily and I think Chrome is the best.

Safari is just plain slow sometimes. It has trouble loading flash content.

Chrome has been fastest for me and I like the extensions.

Firefox feel like a toy browser. I just prefer Chrome because of its speed and overall snappiness. :)

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'm boring and I just use the default that comes with the OS. Because I just want to browse the web. That's IE on Windows, Firefox on Ubuntu and Safari on OS X.

12. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

I just put in a vote for Chrome. I've been a longtime Firefox user, largely for the web development tools available. Now that more and more are coming Chrome, I find myself using it more.

I use Xmarks to sync up my bookmarks. The recently-added 1password support allowed me to really give Chrome a fair trial.

I'm quite taken with the design and performance (not that I am doing any scientific comparisons). To be fair, I've never given Safari a fair chance, so perhaps my is vote worth slightly less. I do like Safari's built-in user agent switcher for testing sites in Mobile Safari though. So I launch all three regularly, but my current preference for browsing (and working as of late) is definitely Chrome.

13. knarzie macrumors regular

Have always used Safari, ever since I got my first Powerbook back in 2003. have give Firefox and Opera a go since some people I know are always hyping the latest browser, but I have always hated the way firefox looked and I'm a lazy creature of habit so the familiar Safari was always what I preferred. Ever since I changed to Intel-based Mac back in late '08, I've had nothing but trouble with Safari. It crashes at least once a day despite latest flash plug ins. It's so bad that I got one of those handy add-ons that always open all the tabs that were open before it crashed. This however is annoying as well, when it crashes with 20 tabs open it takes about 5 minutes until it's loaded them again.

Made the switch to Chrome after months of hype a couple of weeks ago, and for the first time I have to admit that I might stick with it. Everything seems a tick faster than Safari and it hasn't crashed once.

All Safari users I know keep telling me that it has huge Security issues, is there any truth in this?

14. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

I've been a Firefox user for the past 8 years or so on Windows and Mac.

I utterly hate Internet Explorer and Safari for various reasons. I've never even though to try Google Chrome because Firefox has all the extensions I've ever wanted but I am going to try it out!

15. knarzie macrumors regular

just done a forum search but it hasn't produced anything useful.

had a quick browse, but what extensions can people recommend?

16. dizmonk macrumors regular

I was a BIG FF user/fanboy... I still tend to use it on my PC... but on my MBP I use Google Chrome.. Took a while to get used to it but it is a lot faster (IMHHO) than Firefox... Safari is just too damn plain....

17. mrdm macrumors regular

Chrome

I've used Safari, FF (3.6 and beta 4) and Chrome on the mac extensively. Chrome is my favorite. It is the fastest (which is most important IMO), dedicates the most screen real estate to the actual page content, looks good and offers all of the extensions I need/want. Chrome also creates new releases faster than the others delivering improvements and fixes every 6 weeks or so.

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Used every browser available to OS X rather extensively, and always end up going back to Safari. It just works the best for me. I have no reason to stick with any other browser because Safari does everything I need it to do, and it does it better than any of the other browsers.

19. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Could you please explain what Safari does better? I am using Chrome most of the time but somehow I also want to return to Safari, so I keep going back and forth :)
    I think I like Safari's integration to the OS, but apart from that I don't know...

20. buddyspencer macrumors regular

Safari and AdBlock works "much" better, than Chrome and AdBlock or AdBlockPlus.

In that point I would prefer Safari.

21. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Having used both I don't see any difference.

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

23. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

For me, pages lag quite a bit when loading on Chrome, whereas they don't on Safari (or at least, much less). Also, images load much slower on Chrome, whereas they load instantaneously on Safari.

I prefer the layout of Safari, as well. I like that tabs on Safari appear on the bottom, under the menu bar, whereas they are located above on Chrome. Although I wish there were theming options on Safari.

24. frank.deale macrumors regular

I use Google Chrome except when watching netflix which, for some reason, doesn't work. Then I use Safari.