Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DA23Gam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2018
Gamlingay
Hi
On some websites requiring log in Safari asks if I want to save the password etc, on other websites it doesn't ask and doesn't remember. Also, on some websites when log in details are recorded and shown in the Settings - App & Website passwords, Safari doesn't log me in.
Why is this and can I make it more consistent?

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
At some point when safari asked you if you want to remember the user ID and password for that particular website you probably selected never. I'm not sure where that preference is stored on the iPad though.

However, you can add the user ID and password manually in Settings > Accounts & Passwords

DA23Gam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2018
Gamlingay
I don't remember ever selecting 'never' & also I have added several ID/Passwords manually in Settings but it makes no difference - still won't log me in. Seems there's some websites with which it just doesn't work.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Maybe some websites have specific settings for not saving passwords, however, that would seem stranded because it is a browser setting. Seems strange as I access banking websites with my pre-filled ID/password.

Maybe iCloud has settings that override settings on your iPad.

Clearing the cache and/or a full iPad reset might solve your problem.

DA23Gam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2018
Gamlingay
Maybe some websites have specific settings for not saving passwords, however, that would seem stranded because it is a browser setting. Seems strange as I access banking websites with my pre-filled ID/password.

Maybe iCloud has settings that override settings on your iPad.

Clearing the cache and/or a full iPad reset might solve your problem.

Mmm. It seems odd because on a PC using Lastpass there isn't a problem with the particular websites.
Of course installing the Lastpass app on the iPad is kind of a solution although slightly more convoluted to use.
Twas just a query really, inconsistency bug me.
Thanks anyway
(BTW I tried clearing the cache & I don't use iCloud)

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
Hi
Also, on some websites when log in details are recorded and shown in the Settings - App & Website passwords, Safari doesn't log me in.
Why is this and can I make it more consistent?

If you’re on iOS 11.3, Safari no longer automatically fills in your username & password just by visiting the login page of a website. You need to tap on the username or password field and then as long as you have a username/password stored for that website in “Accounts & Passwords,” you’ll see “password for this website” with your username listed below above the keyboard. Tap that and then the username/password fields will be automatically filled in.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

DA23Gam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2018
Gamlingay
I am on iOS 11.3 & that's not the case.
However, I've tried on a few other websites and after tapping on the login box an odd symbol appears above the keyboard - a square with a thick outline on the top and right. Tapping on this fills the usename box with gobbledegook, tapping on the password fills the box with the row of dots but not the correct number for the password length. I did check the entry in the Settings/Passwords - that is correct but is not what is entered in the login boxes.
On other websites (listed in Settings) the unexplained symbol above the keyboard is grayed out.
Progress but not there yet.

Last edited:

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
I am on iOS 11.3 & that's not the case.
However, I've tried on a few other websites and after tapping on the login box an odd symbol appears above the keyboard - a square with a thick outline on the top and right. Tapping on this fills the usename box with gobbledegook, tapping on the password fills the box with the row of dots but not the correct number for the password length. I did check the entry in the Settings/Passwords - that is correct but is not what is entered in the login boxes.
On other websites (listed in Settings) the unexplained symbol above the keyboard is grayed out.
Progress but not there yet.

Can you post a screenshot of the “unexplained symbol?”

DA23Gam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2018
Gamlingay
8A4B8156-42EF-4984-B6E4-B34CABB909C8.jpeg
Here it is, 3rd from left
[doublepost=1524001490][/doublepost]I've been trying a few more. In Settings/Apps & Website passwords/Add Password I add a new entry.
Now when I visit the website, tap on Username, tap on symbol above keyboard, in the Username box Safari enters the password! Have checked back in Settings & all is as it should be.
Strange!

DA23Gam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2018
Gamlingay
OK, I'm a complete idiot - that's Paste.
So, if I tap on a login field nothing appears anywhere on the keyboard regarding passwords.
Have I got something switched off in Settings?

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
OK, I'm a complete idiot - that's Paste.
So, if I tap on a login field nothing appears anywhere on the keyboard regarding passwords.
Have I got something switched off in Settings?
Settings > Safari > Autofill

Turn on names and passwords

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Try turning on iCloud Keychain. I think for this to work properly, iCloud needs to be enabled along with this setting.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.